Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Poor Idaho

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Yes and when they figure out how much they have to tax and spend to support rural OR along with rural N ID that they already support, they'll also have some second thoughts. It's the same problem the Liberty guys face in E WA. Boise and Portland are the primary economic drivers of their respective states and, taking Portland out of the picture would dump the added financial load onto Boise. The anti-taxxers ought to love that!
    WFH could change that whole narrative! Imagine the 7-figure tech workers moving to John Day or Burns!

Yes and when they figure out how much they have to tax and spend to support rural OR along with rural N ID that they already support, they'll also have some second thoughts. It's the same problem the Liberty guys face in E WA. Boise and Portland are the primary economic drivers of their respective states and, taking Portland out of the picture would dump the added financial load onto Boise. The anti-taxxers ought to love that!
    The thing is, this regressives won't want to tax. They will just let everything get run down and fall apart, and blame the Feds. It goes further down the broken sewage system from there.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I am always in awe of Idaho's natural beauty. Great playground. People don't need to be smart to enjoy it.

I wonder whether there is a correlation is between density and smarts. ("You are my density")
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    BTW - while searching for a suitable thread to stick my rant I noted at least half a dozen or more thread about moving to Idaho Falls ID.
    For me it was Idaho Falls, or Arco, Mud Lake, Blackfoot/Poky. IF does suck, but I’d venture to say that it sucks less than those other places. The worst part about it by far is Ammon. The way this town has been developed forces pretty much all 60k+ residents of the area into a 2sq mile area to do all of their shopping, plus anyone coming in from outside of town needing to stock up. It’s a literal shit show and I avoid it like the plague. Sunday’s are manageable.

The proximity factor is the only thing that makes this place liveable for me. Though could never see myself staying long term.

The people: Honestly most interactions seem pretty normal. However there is an undeniable amount of white trash that’s comparable to rural PA with more of a racist undertone. We had a guy say some very... impolite things... to a dark skinned female coworker while we were out at a company dinner last year. Was pretty dumbfounded at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    The thing is, this regressives won't want to tax. They will just let everything get run down and fall apart, and blame the Feds. It goes further down the broken sewage system from there.
    That's the point. Most of the regressives/anti-tax group bitch about taxes being too high and blame the big cities for higher taxes to support infrastructure in the big cities. And, of course, the difference in cultures between rural and urban. What they don't recognize is that, dollar for dollar, the rural areas gain FROM the urban. They think their tax dollars support the big projects in the urban centers and they resent it. It's basic ignorance. And, of course, the difference in cultures.

What strikes me about this argument is that the rural populations don't recognize where the tax dollars come from or go to but I think that's probably true of the urban populations, too. If the urban dwellers understood that more, I think the outcry from them would be stronger. Therefore, ignorance probably reigns on both sides of the spectrum. The example I gave of where tax dollars are collected and spent should be more common knowledge. In the meantime, we have a somewhat false resentment from the rurals whereas the urbans seemingly go through life without a care about it. It's an interesting dichotomy.

Idaho nets about $3,500 per citizen from the feds. Yeah, us rural bumpkins don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Idaho nets about $3,500 per citizen from the feds. Yeah, us rural bumpkins don't get it.
    It's about state taxes and where they're spent. Federal dollars in a redrawn state would presumably remain the same.

I get that. I was agreeing with you that most rural people bitch about taxes in general but don't understand they benefit more than they should. Holds true at a fed level as a data point. New Idaho or whatever they're calling it is a silly exercise but luckily, Idaho is running so perfectly, our legislators have plenty of time to work on problems we don't have yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I get that. I was agreeing with you that most rural people bitch about taxes in general but don't understand they benefit more than they should. Holds true at a fed level as a data point. New Idaho or whatever they're calling it is a silly exercise but luckily, Idaho is running so perfectly, our legislators have plenty of time to work on problems we don't have yet.
    Yeah, and hence the silliness of the whole exercise.

Far-right agitator Ammon Bundy’s emerging bid to become the next governor of Idaho faces a peculiar roadblock: he is currently barred from entering the state Capitol where he would ostensibly need to conduct official business after being arrested there twice within 24 hours.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fa...aos/ar-AAKF2Ei

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Far-right agitator Ammon Bundy’s emerging bid to become the next governor of Idaho faces a peculiar roadblock: he is currently barred from entering the state Capitol where he would ostensibly need to conduct official business after being arrested there twice within 24 hours.

Still wished the feds would have put a bullet in that dumb inbred motherfuckers head at the Malheur Wildlife refuge standoff a while back like Lavoy.
    Last edited by mtnjam; 06-04-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post

Can he run, get elected and run the state down the block from the State Capitol? Maybe rent an apt and hold Zoom calls with the state legislature? Or is that not allowed?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Interesting article in the Spokesman Review this morning. Yet another whack job coming to N. Idaho? It doesn't seem to end..

Concerns about ex-comic starting a ‘Ruby-Ridge-style compound’ roil Boundary County

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...by-ridge-styl/

Interesting article in the Spokesman Review this morning. Yet another whack job coming to N. Idaho? It doesn't seem to end..

Concerns about ex-comic starting a ‘Ruby-Ridge-style compound’ roil Boundary County

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...by-ridge-styl/
    10 acres ain't much land if it's suppose to be a “place for folks to come and learn about living a sustainable lifestyle and passing those lessons on to their children and future generations.” The lessons, he continued, would include “(a)spects of rural living such as the proper harvesting/use of water, organic food production, alternative energy, animal husbandry and creating an environment of freedom on the land.”
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Northern Idaho is so fucking weird I basically think no one of any sanity considered normal lives there. Both this comedian and the reporter who "owns a paper" which is really just some other fringe blog (aka just like the comedian's) seem to fit the bill of weirdos attracted to this part of the state.
    Live Free or Die

WTF? I was born outside of Bonners Ferry and always thought I might retire around there one day, but it seems like Idaho is quickly filling up with even more psychos than were already there (full disclosure: I was born on a hippie commune so crazy types arent new to the area). I am not sure this bunch will make it long up there. Its all fun and games in June. Once winter hits they might not enjoy the Kootenai as much as they thought they would.

Quote Originally Posted by cspringsposer View Post
    WTF? I was born outside of Bonners Ferry and always thought I might retire around there
    you ever run into Harkin Banks, the Bonner’s Ferry Flash?
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Nah. I haven't lived there in 30+ years. It's definitely getting busier there, but so is everywhere else. Hopefully the psychopaths don't take over and make it unlivable up there.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cspringsposer View Post
    Nah. I haven't lived there in 30+ years. It's definitely getting busier there, but so is everywhere else. Hopefully the psychopaths don't take over and make it unlivable up there.
    Sigh.

Haha

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Sigh.
    Sorry. I haven't seen Hot Dog for a couple of decades so am a little slow on my references. Feel free to judge.

No judgement- just need to fix that problem
    You might need to attend a maggot gathering as punishment
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Anyone else notice the Idaho news site misspelled 'dumbest' in the URL? I love Idaho.
    This said it all....

The folks over at SafeHome.org released a study on Friday that says Idaho is the 51st smartest state in America (the folks in Washington, D.C. beat us out).

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    This said it all....

The folks over at SafeHome.org released a study on Friday that says Idaho is the 51st smartest state in America (the folks in Washington, D.C. beat us out).
    Idaho is just lucky Puerto Rico and Guam aren’t states cause they’d be 53rd