E13 extended range cassettes?

Anyone tried either their extended range 11speeds or their fancy 12 speed upgrade kit?

I've been pretty happy with my 11sp SRAM. rock a 32T most days and just switch to a 30T for any big climbing days. but I'm probably due for new drivetrain components next summer

I started using their 11 spd cogsets when they first became available. Thousands of miles since then. When the upper half wears out, just replace that part and save $$$ compared to a one piece SRAM XO1 or XX1.

You do have to smear Ti anti seize paste on the interfaces or you’ll get creaks.

On my newest bike I went 12 spd XX1, see no reason to convert my other bikes to 12 spd.

^What he said.

Big fan. And yes creaks.

With those cassettes I've been able to maintain my curmudgeon status and never touch a single 12sp component, or feel the need to.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

E13 extended range cassettes?

The creaking! The shim they sent worked until it didn’t. I’ve bent my 44t ring several times and have a buddy who’s had the same problem with his 46t. Still got a solid 2+ seasons out of it and it was used when I got it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

How are you bending a cassette?

I've still got an OG first run version that's like what.....4 years old now
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Where does the shim go? I couldn't find that in any of the documentation or on their website.

To the OP, I replaced a Sunrace 11-50 with this 9-46 11 speed cassette. It shifts much better and I don't have creaking (yet). It's also about 1/2 the weight of the Sunrace. So far, I'm very pleased.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    How are you bending a cassette?

I've still got an OG first run version that's like what.....4 years old now
    Hell if I know. One of em looks like it was from an impact.

I’d still be running it, but got a like new Eagle drivetrain for stinky cheap.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

If you do it, run a sram 11 or even (possibly better) an eagle gx 12 chain. IME kmc will drop from the two biggest cogs if you backpedal at all.

I got sick of changing them. They wear out pretty fast. They have a "5 year warranty", but when your cassette is worn out and you get chain skip, it's like pulling teeth to get a replacement. It's such a PITA and you have no bike to ride, after the 4th time it wore out (every 6-800mi) I didn't bother and went with Shimano/Sram instead. For the price of those things you'd think they'd make the exchange process easier, but it's not, and not worth it considering how poorly it wears, and it simply doesn't shift as well as Shimano/Sram does (I have both on other bikes).

I've bent the cogs on 2 separate cassettes

You can get an entire GX Eagle setup for $230 online. Why bother with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I get around 2,000 miles out of my upper cogs. But I ride dry conditions, clean chain, good dry lube, and outstanding shifting technique.

Universal Cycles always had the upper E13 cogs when I needed them.

GX Eagle is a good budget option. But if someone has an 11 spd XO1 or XX1 setup in good shape, E13 is worth considering. Some of us accumulate a parts bin of newish stuff in a standard like 11 spd and don’t feel like abandoning it all for the latest standard.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    I got sick of changing them. They wear out pretty fast. They have a "5 year warranty", but when your cassette is worn out and you get chain skip, it's like pulling teeth to get a replacement. It's such a PITA and you have no bike to ride, after the 4th time it wore out (every 6-800mi) I didn't bother and went with Shimano/Sram instead. For the price of those things you'd think they'd make the exchange process easier, but it's not, and not worth it considering how poorly it wears, and it simply doesn't shift as well as Shimano/Sram does (I have both on other bikes).
    Serious question: has anyone tried hardening them prior to installation? Assuming they're steel.

The smaller portion of the cogset is steel. Bigger cogs are aluminum. The net weight is pretty reasonable considering the range.

Canfield had a hub / cog solution yrs ago that enabled 9 tooth cog but it never caught on. The E13 engr based on the XD freehub is actually pretty elegant overall. Avoids the gigantic dinner plate big cog issue. Chain wear in smallest cog isn’t normally an issue since you’re usually using it at low torque.