Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15
    Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    As far as eq and room compensation setup goes, If you have pretty good speaker placement for your space and not a lot of acoustic room issues, you should be able to run with a minimum of eq added in. A properly designed amplifier (as well as other pieces in the signal chain) should have a pretty flat response curve from 20hz to 20 or 30khz, as that is basically the range of human audible frequencies. With good room acoustics, speaker placement and properly designed gear, minimum eq should be needed, and can best be eliminated. Any unnecessary analog to digital and back to analog conversion should be avoided, (so no dsp) and removing tone control pots extra tone control circutiry and sliders (slider graphic equalizers) should also be removed if possible. They are all possible sources of distortion and signal degradation, again quality of circuit design and quality of execution matter.

sent from Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Levinson makes a $15k transistor amplifier.

sent from Utah.

I have a buddy who got "a flat response curve" for $37. Why spend $15k? Does it sound like a nice tube amp, or something?

Good question. Flat response curve is one thing. Detail, speed, dynamics, distortion, build quality are another. I'm a big proponent of not shelling out big bucks if I don't have to. So it makes me happy to know that tmy home brew amp compares favorably to other units costing much more. Ultimately sound is subjective, and if what sounds good to you is a $37 amp, then that's great. I can guarantee you the fancy tubes from the Mac won't sound as good in the monoprice amp.
    Can't even buy decent caps for a powerful amp for $37.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Iíve almost knocked on your door a few times basinbeater, been hoping to catch you in the front yard after a bike ride one of these days so we could talk audio, land cruisers and bmws, seems like weíve got a bunch in common.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5159.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	918.8 KB 
ID:	376764

Last winter when I was back east visiting my parents I was telling my Dad how I had gotten into audio and vinyl and he started digging around and giving me stuff he had left over from his past. He gave me a small box of cartridges. I was super bummed because I couldnít find them when I got back from that trip. Fast forward 6 months and Iím packing to go home again to visit and I heard something jingling around in my luggage.

There was 3 cartridges but I think this one was the only one worth messing with. Itís a Stanton 680EE aka a Pickering XV-15. They seem to have quite a following and are compared to some of the high end Shure cartridges from back in the day. I picked up a new stylus for it and just got it hooked up.

Holy fucking lush! Super warm but also still very detailed. This is the best my setup has ever sounded. Thanks Dad.

Sweet find! Yeah stop by anytime. I'm around most evening unless we are at the pool. Happy to shoot the shit and listen to a couple of tunes. I need to get back out on the bike. It's been over a week.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Holy fuck. I'm glad I don't plan on touching anything of this scale. It's a whole different world.

Popping a 5k amp fuse. You can watch at 2x without missing much.

Yeah that is sketchy as hell. I like the way they jam a bunch of steel wool and go, let's see what happens now...

Got my gb150d buttoned up and moved into the office where it is playing through some Polk rt25 speakers. This is normally where the nakamichi sr4a sits, so it will be interesting to see how this does here for a while.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1623423824793.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	376936

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Somewhere up thread there was a discussion about some kind of electrical contact cleaner spray - what was it called?

I have a pickup selector switch on a guitar that isn't behaving...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    That sounds right. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.