Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skiing possibilities from Vegas?

I realize Vegas isn't high on the list of ski destinations, but for whatever reason, I find myself there for some time.

Would rather drive and not fly out of LAS, so what are my options?

My research says:
    - south utah (brian head?). looking a little boring, but going with some intermediate riders, so I could suck it up... at least I'm skiing. Snow looks decent?
    - arizona (snowbowl). my uneducated Canadian self didn't even realize skiing was a thing in Arizona, but it actually looks pretty good? Maybe the photos are fooling me.
    - long drive to mammoth? It's mammoth.

Going mid-Jan. Don't need the steepest shit I can find (have that at home), but prefer not to be slaying groomers all weekend.

What am I missing?

Snowbowl just got two feet and opened for business today. They can get a lot of snow from southern track storms if the pattern sets up. I know there’s some really good side country terrain but not sure of access permissions. Either way it’s gonna be a lot better than Brian Head, they often get a lot of snow but it’s flat.

Mammoth- it’s Mammoth, a good option IMO.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Honestly....I would just pay the $115 and fly to Reno, or drive to Mammoth.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Honestly....I would just pay the $115 and fly to Reno, or drive to Mammoth.
    Yeah, considering that as well. That said, already skied north lake tahoe, so also would be keen for checking out something new.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    Yeah, considering that as well. That said, already skied north lake tahoe, so also would be keen for checking out something new.
    Ruidoso, NM.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

If they have snow, I would just go to https://www.leecanyonlv.com/ I have never been, but touring above the resort looks interesting.

I have never skied Brianhead resort, but skinned up Brian Head peak from highway 143, from what I could see not worth the drive to ski the resort unless looking for intermediate level firm groomers.

Another idea would be rent a mountain bike and ride near St. George if you want to escape Vegas for the day.

There's a ski area near Las Vegas in Lee Canyon -

https://www.leecanyonlv.com/

If there's decent snow, perhaps go check it out for a day? I've never skied there, but the setting is scenic. There's a mag who used to post TRs from the area regularly, and made it look good -- cdlv -- search for his TRs.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Vegas has some good mountain biking too, about as good St. George IMO, bootleg canyon at Boulder City and some other canyon to the west. Bootleg has a lot gnarly DH trails and shuttles run on weekends. Pedaling up isn’t bad at all, about an hour/lap, depending on fitness. Boulder City’s a cool little town and the brewery is good.

Brian Head and/or Eagle point would prolly be worth checking out if you can catch a good storm. If only for the lack of crowds and hype.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    If they have snow, I would just go to https://www.leecanyonlv.com/ I have never been, but touring above the resort looks interesting.
    Agreed. Did some research last year as I may be spending a winter in Vegas sometime in the next few years, but have yet to talk to anyone that has actually skied there.

Surely someone in Maggot-dom has skied here?

Yeah, other option is fuck it, and either bring the bike or climbing gear and goto red rocks or ride somewhere local... but there's no fucking snow here, so would be nice to get out.

I realize Vegas isn't high on the list of ski destinations, but for whatever reason, I find myself there for some time.

My research says:
    - south utah (brian head?). looking a little boring, but going with some intermediate riders, so I could suck it up... at least I'm skiing. Snow looks decent?
    - arizona (snowbowl). my uneducated Canadian self didn't even realize skiing was a thing in Arizona, but it actually looks pretty good? Maybe the photos are fooling me.

Going mid-Jan. Don't need the steepest shit I can find (have that at home), but prefer not to be slaying groomers all weekend.

What am I missing?
    Eagle Point is ok. Like 4 hrs from Vegas. I would get bored there after more than a weekend. The Tushar range has great touring but gets very wind affected

Pros: ATLSkier and I went over Presidents day last year (busiest weekend of the year) and skied untracked pow all day pretty much unencumbered
    Cheap Lift Ticket
    If you make a weekend out of it the on-mountain lodging is cheap but dated
    Decent Lodge Grill/Resto

Con:
    Resort is kind of janky: Too mom and pop, a little unprofessional. While Alta does a great job at cultivating this vibe and delivering an excellent experience, Eagle Pt does not.
    Not a Ton of vert, you'll be spinning a bunch of laps
    No Spicy Terrain. Runs cut through trees, 30 degrees max. Decent Tree skiing
    Literally No Apres whatsoever
    Beaver has 1 bar
    The Tushar Range where Eagle Pt is located is very hit or miss. If its a good snow year you'll be skiing untracked all day. If its an anemic year for snow, you will get bored easily. If Central/Southern Utah is getting the goods they get around 400" per year

Isn't there a place called like Mt. Charleston or something?

Also the drive to Mammoth is great. June is a bit closer, might be worth looking at. Seriously one of my favorite 5 hour drives.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

My research says:

What am I missing?
    When the gettin is good it's actually really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XeY...74443045871598

Snowbowl doesn't have any serious steeps but the trees are fun and the upper mountain has a great powder skiing pitch to it. We have an open boundary policy and the touring is what makes the area imho. There's plenty of steeps on the back side and quick side country hits with 3800 vertical drop back down to the access road. Let me know if you come our way, I can give you an inbounds tour or if you're a ski tourer take you out. Flag is a great town to visit too.

I think Mammoth is around a 9 or ten hour drive from Vegas. It's a ways away.

Lee Canyon has some killer looking terrain for ski touring as well believe it or not. There's a lot of nice looking lines with mandatory, clean cliff drops but it probably only comes in every few years.

Great Basin NP is a 4.5 hour drive to the north and has some beautiful ski terrain.

For non skiing activities there's a shit ton of amazing public lands and parks throughout the 4 Corners region to explore. Canyoneering, climbing, back packing, mountain biking etc. abound. If you can't find fun outdoor activities down here you must not like being outside! Skiing can miss but the weather is pretty darn comfortable and the sun is usually shining.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I think Mammoth is around a 9 or ten hour drive from Vegas. It's a ways away.
    I've done it in as little as 4.5 hours (that was terrifying. ) and as much as 6.5 hours. (stopped in death valley a bunch)
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

You surf? Could be in Santa Barbara in a decent time frame for a weekend of waves...
    Have to be more snow down there then we have up here right now if you do ski.

A lot of suggestions for touring but I am guessing you are flying in and maybe not able to bring touring stuff... but if you are... I'd go with Brian Head. Super super super cheap lodging there and if the ski hill is too flat or boring, Cedar Breaks National Monument is just a couple miles away and one of the few areas in S Utah where you can ski a red rock landscape on a normal year.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I've done it in as little as 4.5 hours (that was terrifying. ) and as much as 6.5 hours. (stopped in death valley a bunch)
    In six you could be at Alta too....roughly. Better to do a quick flight and shuttle from the Airport though. 6 hours one-way isn't 'near Vegas' but Mammoth would be a fun trip.

The Lee Canyon pass is a pretty good deal

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leecanyon.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	303403

We are on deck for another good storm next week. This could turn into one of the best Novembers in quite a while for us.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Lee canyon side country is pretty fun. Worth checking out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    The inbounds terrain is flat and there's not much of it, but if you tour, the Mount Charleston cirque above the ski area is surprisingly awesome with cliff bands, chutes and mini golf lines. It's serious avalanche terrain, worthy of respect. https://www.mountainproject.com/foru...unt-charleston

https://cdn-files.apstatic.com/climb...1494165257.jpg
    https://cdn-files.apstatic.com/climb...1494165256.jpg

Decent backcountry sidecountry options abound if there's snow. Super cool trees and red rock
    http://www.powdork.com/2011/skiva-las-vegas/
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

My research says:

What am I missing?
    I live in Vegas and ski 60-70 resort days a year. No skinning for me, only downhill.

Alot of those days are at Mammoth. The drive from vegas is 4:45. No flights from vegas, drive only. Mammoth is great place but weekends can be crowded, suspect will be even worse this year now that everyone has an ikon pass.

June ski resort is 20 minutes further up the road from mammoth. Place sucks.

Brian Head is not too fun of a place. The terrain is not good and area has kinda creepy feel to it. It is 3 hour drive. I do not recommend this.

Mt Charleston is 45 minute drive. This area is extremely limited and only worth the trip if you are gonna ride park and even then the park is not great. I do not recommend this.

SLC is a 6 hour drive which is good for week long trips or weekends if flying.

Denver is not possible to fly for the weekend since it takes another 2 hours to drive up the mountain.

Tahoe is a 7 hour drive for southlake, another hour for squaw which is much better than heavenly. Sometimes I drive to mammoth ski a couple days and then drive 2.5 hours to Tahoe, do the same thing on the way back.

Snowbowl pretty small resort, 4.5 hour drive. Is a neat little place if you live in flagstaff or phoenix (i used to) but otherwise not recommended.

I would add that unless you like airs or are regularly hiking palisades and the like, Squaw is not better than Heavenly. If you like sidecountry, Heavenly blows Squaw away.
    Also, kirkwood is maybe 15 minutes further than Heavenly and is an excellent option. June also has fantastic sidecountry (really fantastic) and if it is a big cold storm the lower trees are fantastic. Other than that it is pretty boring.

Also, Eagle Point is about 4 hours away. Never been but looks like it could be an addition to a Brian's Head visit if you head that way. If you mountain bike it would be very worthwhile to visit St. George/Hurricane (if conditions are dry) which is also in the area.
    If you climb, Red Rocks are fantastic and just out of town.