Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

PSA $15 grid fleece tops at Costco

Saw at Salt Lake City Costco. Basically a poor man's Patagonia R1. The grid fleece itself is decent, and the top has a Napoleon pocket and thumb loops, all for $15. Sizes Medium to XL.

Available online as well for a bit more. Looks pretty nice.

https://www.costco.com/pacific-trail...100479225.html

Went and checked these out tonight. Costco by me (Westminster CO) was pretty picked over, but still some left. Definitely thinner than an R1, but for ~10% of the price, worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by joeshek View Post
    Went and checked these out tonight. Costco by me (Westminster CO) was pretty picked over, but still some left. Definitely thinner than an R1, but for ~10% of the price, worth a shot.
    I agree, I picked one up and for $15 I thought it was very worthwhile. Maybe 75% of an R1 for 10% of the cost.

Darn looks pretty nice. Based on the website photos looks to be more Cap4/Cap Thermal weight? I just put 2 holes in my R1 hoody while climbing, ugh I'm sure this would last a couple years of thrashing and not hurt to destroy at $15.

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    Darn looks pretty nice. Based on the website photos looks to be more Cap4/Cap Thermal weight? I just put 2 holes in my R1 hoody while climbing, ugh I'm sure this would last a couple years of thrashing and not hurt to destroy at $15.
    I've never used Cap4 before so I can't comment, but I'd say that the Costco gridfleece is in between my Mountain Equipment Eclipse (best layer ever) and my R1 in terms of thickness.

After wearing mine for 5 or 6 days, I'm seeing some light piling on the inside of the sleeves. Still though, for $15, this is officially going to be my desert climbing baselayer.

After much searching at my local costco, they don’t have them. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    After much searching at my local costco, they don’t have them. Bummer.
    You can buy them online for $2 more: https://www.costco.com/pacific-trail...100479225.html

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    You can buy them online for $2 more: https://www.costco.com/pacific-trail...100479225.html
    Yeah but i like to try items on before buying. Hoping my local will get them in.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Yeah but i like to try items on before buying. Hoping my local will get them in.
    You could order several sizes and return what you don't want to the local store.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Not available at my local Costco but now $12.97 shipped online.

Looks like a real deal to me.

Glad I waited to purchase online.

Nice find. For $13 hard to go wrong

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

2 on the way.

Giving it a shot.

Ordered one in each color too. Thanks for the heads-up!
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Mine arrived. Fit true to size, maybe a touch large, but totally OK.

These are really nice for $13.

Got mine today too. Agree they maybe run a *touch* large, but just a bit. I’m very happy.

Everything at Costco is a touch large. Thinking of grabbing one just to write a review of these vs MiCols grid fleece layers that shipped today.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Everything at Costco is a touch large. Thinking of grabbing one just to write a review of these vs MiCols grid fleece layers that shipped today.
    I don’t have either of them in hand but I’ll write a quick review.
    FRS grid fleece: kicks ass since the company is maggot owned made in the USA and not made by poor kids in a Chinese sweat house.
    Costco grid fleece: It’s ok but not as kickass as the FRS since it’s not a maggot owned company and made by poor children in a Chinese sweat shop.

Oh damn, I'm clearly not paying attention - if I had known that an established Mag was doing a gridfleece group buy at a great price, I would not have posted the Costco deal. Sorry, I'm a jong, I know. I fucked up.

PSA, buy shit from Freeride Systems, not from Costco. Apologies everyone.

No apology necessary, this was a good deal and MiCol wasn't hurting for takers on his offering.

FWIW, my understanding of Costco's business practices is that they do try to ensure that their products are not made by "poor children in a Chinese sweat shop".
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'm under no beliefs that there aren't differences between the labor behind Costco clothing and FRS. I own plenty of FRS pieces and plenty of Costco. They each have their place. I think it would be an interesting dissection to show what you're really getting when you buy a FRS piece for 2.5-3x as much as the Costco piece. And not just the fact you support a rad company with fairly paid workers. Pattern construction, quality of fabric, stitching, qc, etc.

Big-time failure on my part at some lighthearted humor i guess. I’ll let you guys get back to super serious clothing comparisons.