Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Toyota RAV4 Prime - plug in AWD hybrid

A contender for my next vehicle: 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime, AWD, 302 hp, plug-in hybrid -- 39 miles on battery alone. Curious what the real world highway MPG will be -- the current non-plug-in hybrid (AWD) is rated at 38 MPG highway. Federal tax credit still exists, I think.

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/rav4prime/

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-...er-rav4-prime/
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Not going to lie, my ears perked up a little bit at 0-60 in 5.8 seconds from a Rav4.

I'd wager though this is still going to feel like an appliance.
    Live Free or Die

I wouldn't doubt it will be appliance-esque -- it'll have a CVT transmission.

OTOH, that kind of fuel economy is compelling. The plug-in range is such that I could do nearly all my driving around town on electric (ie cheap). I don't have any concerns about Toyota's hybrid reliability either -- seems like Priuses run forever and don't have many issues at all.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

google Rav4 and moose test. I'm a toyota fan - never owned any other type of vehicle. I'm not an expert on vehicles and have done zero research - just saw this headline and filed it away to read the next time I'm looking to buy.

Right now I drive a '97 runner which I'm sure would fail the moose test in a more spectacular fashion.

I really like these plug in hybrids. Most of my driving is within their range, but for skiing/visiting family the gasoline engine would be necessary. I'd love it if the next generation Transit crew cab had such an option as that's basically my dream adventure vehicle. The Pacifica does now (though now AWD). The RAV4 looks like a good option, though it might end up the filling the smaller of two vehicles role.

I'll wait for Suby Forester. Crosstrek too short for my skis, outback too long for my garage. I need the extra ground clearance of a Subaru--it least for a few years until it stops snowing altogether at 6K.

RAV4 hybrid has 8.6” ground clearance. Current Forester has 8.7”.

I strongly doubt that extra 0.1” will make a difference on a pow day.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    google Rav4 and moose test.
    Heh.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29804/...the-moose-test

I expect there are zero pre-stability-control SUVs/crossovers that could handle a 40+ mph violent swerve on dry pavement. On snow-covered road... understeer straight into the moose?

I loved my 4runner and kept it for 10yrs. I couldn't wait to unload the 16' RAV4, though that 21' looks like a bona fide upgrade over the previous tin can.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Can you throw a baseball at the windows though?

Hoping the Nikola battery tech announced this month filters into the car market too- same size batteries, 2x the distance and longer life.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

this and the all electric volvo xc40 are on our short list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    tin can.
    Yeah, that's my gripe with the whole crossover/small-to-mid suv segment. Lack of insulation and hard plastic everywhere.

The thing looks good though. Like a mini 4runner.

I wonder what the mileage hit would be if you put real snow tires on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yeah, that's my gripe with the whole crossover/small-to-mid suv segment. Lack of insulation and hard plastic everywhere.

The thing looks good though. Like a mini 4runner.

I wonder what the mileage hit would be if you put real snow tires on it.
    Around 2-3 mpg probably

I was worried about batteries in winter but I guess that’s not an issue. 2003 Lexus RX300 vs moose on wet interstate at 75 mph did ok... swerved and took everything on front quarter panel/windshield/A pillar/passenger door.

I’m awaiting for insurance to see if it’s totaled. I’m thinking of either 2021 rav4 or used F350...

I wonder if I can even get my hands on 2021 RAV4 before next season starts. I bet there’s a waiting list and production got slashed due to the pandemic...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A friend tried to buy a 2020 in stock on the local lot. Had an older Rav4 as a trade-in. He figured that three months of close to zero sales might motivate them on price... nope.

^ha, I was guessing that, despite seeing lots of offers from other automakers. I guess toyota is well positioned on some models. Baby momma is pretty excited about the hybrid sienna coming out at the end of the year. I'm guessing I will be paying sticker price and not getting much for trade in...was hoping they would be desperate.

Toyota RAV4 Prime - plug in AWD hybrid

Just picked up a 2020 hybrid. This thing is sweet. Haven’t had a new car in a long time so all the bells and whistles are cool. Drove it from PDX to Central Oregon on about a 1/4 tank of gas.

I’ll put some good snows on it for the winter, interested to see how it will do.

I did some shopping around, but car sales have definitely not slowed down at all. Nobody was really looking to deal all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Just picked up a 2020 hybrid. This thing is sweet. Haven’t had a new car in a long time so all the bells and whistles are cool. Drove it from PDX to Central Oregon on about a 1/4 tank of gas.

I’ll put some good snows on it for the winter, interested to see how it will do.

I did some shopping around, but car sales have definitely not slowed down at all. Nobody was really looking to deal all that much.
    Is it AWD?

The RAV4 has become the ultimate appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Is it AWD?
    Yeah

So what real world hiway and city mpg you getting? My parents are thinking of buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    So what real world hiway and city mpg you getting? My parents are thinking of buying one.
    So far with mixed driving I’m seeing around 37 mpg average

My mom bought a '20 Rav4 Hybrid AWD (not a plug in) and is seeing about what Supermoon is seeing over the first 5,000 miles or so. I haven't driven it yet-she bought just before Covid hit. She's says it's pretty fun to drive and her last car was an Ecoboost Escape.

WHat's the power like on hills in this thing? Wife wants one. She currently drives a Sub w/3.6R and doesn't want to sacrifice too much power because she likes to drive real fast on her commute over mountain passes.