Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Mac Book Pro 16"

Anyone taken the leap?

I am going to look at it tomorrow. Still trying to figure out how to use my wireless non Apple mouse, but I am sure they make a Type C transmitter thingy by now. I just leave the ole USB 3.0/Type A deal in the 'outer all the time.

Other than that, Type C is the future. 40 kb/s per port.

My MacBook air from 2013 is finally starting to show it's age, just in time for this new beast.

I dunno, I wouldn't want anything bigger than this 13", it seems like the perfect size to me.

Yeah, my Mac Pro 15" is twice the weight of the 13"... not sure it's worth it, but lugging it around it does help with cross fit training.

New 16" should be carbon fiber...?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I dunno, I wouldn't want anything bigger than this 13", it seems like the perfect size to me.
    gross.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Yeah, my Mac Pro 15" is twice the weight of the 13"... not sure it's worth it, but lugging it around it does help with cross fit training.

New 16" should be carbon fiber...?
    I am bringing my travel backpack and my messenger bag that I normally carry the laptop in, and I am going to compare the weight. Plus, I want to make sure the 16 fits in those bags. Can't wait to see how quick those geeks run over when they see me stick that thing in my bag.

I dislike almost every change they've made to the MacBook Pro since I bought mine ~5 years ago.

Thankfully they've apparently improved the terrible keyboard but the minimal ports still annoy the heck out of me. It's supposedly a "Pro" laptop. I want to be able to walk into a room and connect it to HDMI to project. A classy minimalist design is less so if I need to carry around a bunch of dongles for it.

new word for the week

"dongles"

use it today
    watch out for snakes

4 grand?
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I dislike almost every change they've made to the MacBook Pro since I bought mine ~5 years ago.

Thankfully they've apparently improved the terrible keyboard but the minimal ports still annoy the heck out of me. It's supposedly a "Pro" laptop. I want to be able to walk into a room and connect it to HDMI to project. A classy minimalist design is less so if I need to carry around a bunch of dongles for it.
    I purposely bought the 2015 leftover in 2016 because of that. I want all those ports, too. It's a solid, "basic" machine, but other than weighing 250 lbs, works for me.

Google says my 15" is 4.5 lbs and MacBook is 2 lbs. So more than double the weight. New 16" MacBook Pro weighs 4.3 lbs.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

New Mac Book Pro 16"

This looks pretty interesting to me. Have a 2015 MBP now but it’s getting towards the end of its life. It just isn’t fast enough to do things like edit 4K footage.

4 ports is plenty as far as I’m concerned, and the Macs have always needed different dongles for presenting over the years so that’s just par for the course really. My 2015 only has 2 USB ports which is super annoying because nothing uses the weird display port they included instead of another USB. HDMI is easy for connecting my monitor, but sometimes I just need to plug a bunch of hard drives into my computer and the flexibility of the USB C would be nice for that.

USB C charging is nice too for emergency situations where you forgot a charger. You can use a phone charger to get you a little bit of extra run time (charging extremely slow obviously).

$3-5k is the big sticking point

Typing this on my 2012 MBP. Thunderbolt ports, USB, photo card slot and HDMI. Ports have been one reason I haven't upscaled since. Speed works fine as I'm not doing CPU intensive work on the regular.

While I do get tempted by new and shiny, I think I'm awaiting a real form-factor change as long as this thing holds up, and so far the latest OS has not posed any issues. Touch Bar? Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Typing this on my 2012 MBP. Thunderbolt ports, USB, photo card slot and HDMI. Ports have been one reason I haven't upscaled since. Speed works fine as I'm not doing CPU intensive work on the regular.

While I do get tempted by new and shiny, I think I'm awaiting a real form-factor change as long as this thing holds up, and so far the latest OS has not posed any issues. Touch Bar? Why?
    I've been holding onto my 2015 for the ports and did not see any great benefit to upgrading to the last upgrade. Sort of the same so far from how little I looked into this option. The 16" screen would be nice. I had a 17" before which was very useful for off monitor work. (I have two attached now.) I do pretty CPU intensify stuff and the 2015 MB is OK with some days wishing for more more speed & RAM than the 16 GB. Regarding form-factor change, I'd like it to be more like an iPad or Surface with touch screen and the ability to fold over the screen. Ideally, with a cellular option, too. The adapters are a PITA but they do expand the capability quite a bit. Having the HDMI and SD port is currently nice. They do have hubs where you can keep all your peripherals plugged in and just connect to one port.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Don't dangle your dongle in public fer chrissakes!

Shit, it fit in both my bags.

I have a company rebate of $200, and they may offer a $200 gift cert. on Black Friday which I could use for a super dongle. Type C means all peripherals can be run out of one port at 40 mbps, which is pretty sweet.

I did the math and it will run about $3300 total. I absolutely maxed out a 13 for giggles, and it came to $3,000 with much lower specs.

I don't really want to spend the $$, but I have had this machine since 2013. I think it ran me about $2500 at that time. That is about $350-$400 per year of use. I haven't had a work PC last more than 3 years, mostly due to the bloatware my company throws on it.

How much more can these things need? 8 core, 32GB Ram, 2 tb SSD? What would keep that from lasting 7-10 years? Maybe 15k video or something stupid. I think it might be a pretty good deal for me. Still hesitant though. How much you want to bet my current machine shits out next week?

As the saying goes. a good tool bites you once when you purchase it. A crappy tool bites you every time you use it.

MacBook Pros have seemed robust for a while, last and remain a decent tool well worth their upfront cost. They remain intuitive and the updates seem to be reasonably backward compatible. Six years is a good run and not unusual. Lots has changed since then and speed is king. The Type C sounds interesting. Can you still connect older peripherals without breaking the bank yet again on different connection options?
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

still running a 2011 15" mackbook pro for our off-site work
    but it doesn't run current software anymore & is getting pretty bogged down

i was not excited to see the pricing on this new laptop cuz we're deep into apple here

My company work computer is a Mac Pro 15" and it is by far the best laptop I have ever used or owned... Absolutley zero issues with it and is running stronger than ever after 2 yrs of use... Cant say the same for the Thinkpads I had before it... And to heavy...? It is a bit over 4 lbs and whether in my backpack or work bag never know it is there... I will ever own anything but a Mac Pro...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post

How much more can these things need? 8 core, 32GB Ram, 2 tb SSD? What would keep that from lasting 7-10 years? Maybe 15k video or something stupid. I think it might be a pretty good deal for me. Still hesitant though. How much you want to bet my current machine shits out next week?
    Half the time it's the keyboard/screen/etc. that fails. Then you often have some planned obsolescence. My previous Macbook got hit by the newer operating systems not being compatible with its processor so being unable to upgrade and so frozen out of newer software and security updates. Things seem to be slowing down a bit in laptop progression, so hopefully that wouldn't happen, but it's one reason it's hard to use a laptop for a decade.

This looks like a pretty easy solution.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...t_3_usb_c.html

The Type C thing is frustrating, but that is really the future. My company sells USB outlets, and we were the first to push the Type C. We now have a unit that varies voltage output based on what is needed. Right now it maxes out at 5A/ 9V or 45 watts, which will easily charge an iPad or a 13 inch MB Air. Pretty soon, we will bump it to 12V max, which will get us to 60W. MacBook Pro needs 81 Watts for max charge I think, but this will get you close. No need to carry the transformer anymore once these are more available.

Anyone ever purchased from Expercom?

I have not however I have been considering it. It looks like they are based out of SLC and you can order a custom and/or stock MBP for far less then from Apple. The wait time is a bit longer as it appears they are placing the order as a dealer and drop shipping to the customer.

PSA: for another Apple products option, check out their refurbished options.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

was hoping for a better TR of when the nerds saw you 'testing the size of the new one in your packs.' oldest trick in the book haha.

honestly will be interested in your thoughts if you pull the trigger. I'm not not in a similar situation. I saw that costco had some macbooks the other day and simply averted my eyes. ooh, samples!

I am running a 2013 MBP and it is working great for what I need. If and when I upgrade, I hope there is a 14" in the line. I have no desire to go to the 16" especially at the cost.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Just here to say that I recently took a new job and went from MCP to generic Dell laptop/tablet thing. God damn the Dell is a smoldering piece of shit in comparison. Gotta hand it to Apple that at least they use quality materials and do the little things right. I suppose that's what you're paying for.

Trigger pulled.
    With my company's Perk Spot discount, 3% back on the card I used, and the $200 Black Friday gift card deal through Apple, I will be all in for $2400 tax included.
    Got the base model 8-core i9 unit with the 1 tb SSD. Normally $2799- on Perk Spot- $2631
    Hate having to spend this money, but it helps me be more efficient, which makes me money.

I will let you know my first impressions, but I doubt I will be disappointed.
    I was honestly just waiting until Apple figured out they needed to bring the good keyboards back. Glad my MD Air lasted long enough for them to get rid of those shitty butterfly keyboards.