Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What ski am I? 95-100mm, 22m, 180cm, damp and stiff.

Looking for a ski to replace my OG Cochise. I love them but sometimes they're just a bit much. Looking for something in the wheelhouse of:
    180-185cm length
    95-100mm waist
    20-25m sidecut
    mostly flat tails
    damp and slightly less stiff than the 2.5 layers of metal in the Cochise.

I was thinking Legend 96, Rustler 10, but they're just a bit too tight with the 17mm radius or a Kastle MX99 but I haven't found a potential wife with a trust fund.

is the Stormrider 95 really my answer? I asked Rontele but he hasn't responded.

Mantra M5?
    Praxis Freeride?

Movement Goliaths. Love my 184cm if you can find a set.

Cham 1.0 97? I picked up a pair of 107s for cheap last year and liked em a lot more than I thought I would. They are damp and heavy but not punishing at all.

Unpopular opinion, anyone ski the Rossi Experience 98?

Head Monster 98 in 184

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    I own a pair, are you in SLC? You can borrow them. I don't know my BSL off-hand but shoe size is 10.5

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    Head Monster 98 in 184

If OP finds a Cochise to be too much ski sometimes, an M98 in a 184 will probably be too much most of the time.

184 ON3P Wrenegade 96. Ti if you must.

98s (and 108s) made me a believer in a slightly loose tail but still plenty of fall line pull and effortless acceleration. Plenty stiff but not a complete ball buster. Stout & nimble ftw
    Uno mas

Haven't been on Cochise, but don't consider M98 very demanding. At the same time it's very stable and manageable once you bring it to some speed. Another option could be QST99

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Mantra M5?
    Praxis Freeride?
    +1 on the freerides

Mantra M5 or K2 Mindbender 99Ti.

Look past sidecut specs, it is one of the most overrated ways of predicting how a ski will handle a turn. The Mindbender (18.5m), for instance, lays down a solid high speed carve at least as confidently as the M5 Mantra (21.2m).

Look past "stiff" as defining an expert ski (unless you are heavy), few skis are really stiff (or really soft) anymore. There are other ways of making a ski perform well at speed and under load.

These skis (and the Rustler series) are good examples of manufacturers reducing the amount of Titanal in the build to retain dampness and power but reduce weight.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I own a pair, are you in SLC? You can borrow them. I don't know my BSL off-hand but shoe size is 10.5
    I'm up in Alta but shoe size is considerably smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    If OP finds a Cochise to be too much ski sometimes, an M98 in a 184 will probably be too much most of the time.
    I've got about 600 days on the Cochise in the past four seasons with another 50 or so on the Spurs. Its not so much the stiffness that gets me, its the fact that you have to be wide open to get them on edge with such a big radius. My knees are getting weak. I have the Chams for tele and demoed the new Legends on an alpine setup. I liked the flex pattern but they seemed to hook up on the fast, chundery runouts.

praxis 9d8?

Yeah, the first gen ones. 188's...I've skied the fuck outta mine in JH for a few years now. (Daily skier, just over 200lbs.)
    Found a new old stock pair from some shop in Golden last year. My daily driver, I can mach anywhere, anytime and turn the bejeezus outta them on a corn lap. Super versatile.
    My only complaint would be that it suffers when pointing them, as the slight tip rocker shortens the feel of the running length; My old LPR's, OTOH, beg me to point them and short swing less.

OK, I’m the worst at thinking about equipment, but, I think mine is the 100, no idea if the build is that much different, but I had a blast on it when it hadn’t snowed in a long time and nothing was open at Snowbasin. I plan on skiing them again for the first time in over a year when Solitude opens, because there won’t be much open. If you have a second pair of skis for powder days and want to rip around on hardpack, and you are not tall like me, it’s worth a shot if you get a pair for $150 like I did. Some runs they made my jaw drop on how much control I had, other runs (when I should have brought my QST 116) they felt like little kid skis.

I’ve skied with DJ Unchained, he is a defacto ripper and more articulate than me so take his review with more weight than mine. Yes they suck at straightlining as he says but in a lotta ways they are so fun. They hold an edge amazingly.

Hmm. 5’9” 180 lbs. there’s a pair on Ksl with one mount for $120. Might be worth pulling the trigger. I’ll still have the Cochise for the 6-12” / day after the storm ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The 100 is the softer version but only by a few red c*$! hairs. Rossi's attempt at making the E98 more marketable...

And I sure didn't find myself waiting for Muted to hurry up. He can roll 'em Fo Sho.

edit: I just looked on KSL - there are 3 pairs: the cheapest pair of 180's at $119 don't come with binders and have a damaged tip. Concern for a bent ski tip too... Fixable but would be concerned with clown ownership as he's running NEE clamps. WTF?
    2nd pair of 180's for $200 look minty and with great binders.
    3rd pair of 188's for $170 look minty as well.
    Same height but I gots 20+ lb.'s on ya.
    A serious advanced+ skier of your size, could easily make a go on the longer ones, particularly if you would be turning less than more. Otherwise i'd check out the 2nd pair.

Bent chetler 100. Seriously. Except for the flat tail
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Folsom Primary

Another for the Rossi E98, E100. Super stable and fun. Agree to not straight line them, another reason to make subtle turns.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Look past sidecut specs, it is one of the most overrated ways of predicting how a ski will handle a turn. The Mindbender (18.5m), for instance, lays down a solid high speed carve at least as confidently as the M5 Mantra (21.2m).

Look past "stiff" as defining an expert ski (unless you are heavy), few skis are really stiff (or really soft) anymore. There are other ways of making a ski perform well at speed and under load.

These skis (and the Rustler series) are good examples of manufacturers reducing the amount of Titanal in the build to retain dampness and power but reduce weight.
    This should be stickied

Looking for a ski to replace my OG Cochise. I love them but sometimes they're just a bit much. Looking for something in the wheelhouse of:
    180-185cm length
    95-100mm waist
    20-25m sidecut
    mostly flat tails
    damp and slightly less stiff than the 2.5 layers of metal in the Cochise.

I was thinking Legend 96, Rustler 10, but they're just a bit too tight with the 17mm radius or a Kastle MX99 but I haven't found a potential wife with a trust fund.

is the Stormrider 95 really my answer? I asked Rontele but he hasn't responded.
    Kastle FX95/95HP the slightly softer little brother to the MX's.

I had the older version of these and liked them a lot. They were the nicer stable mate to my 192 Legend Pro 105's . I've also owned the MX88 and the FX was a friendlier version of that, the FX95 is still my favourite do all resort ski esp in moguls and bumps and crud, sadly mine met mr rock and my budget didn't extend to two pairs...
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

Given the criteria in the original post, why not the 183cm Black Crows Corvus? Seems like the closest thing to an “easier Cochise” on the market at present. Titanal, long radius, minimal taper, supposedly damp but not as demanding as the Cochise. Or if that’s too wide, the Daemon?

If Alta is your home mountain and this is your daily driver, I would think the Corvus would be the better call though...