98mm last Touring Boot recommendations

Hoping for a little help with choosing a dedicated touring boot to compliment my 26.5 lupo ti’s. (Recently downsized from 27.5)
    My foot is average-narrow, med-low volume.

These boots would be paired with some 180cm praxxis bcs with plum guide 12s.

I already have the lupos and hojis w/ CAST system, so sidecountrt and short pow tours are covered.

Thanks for the help!

In the 1200 gram class, there are the Atomic Backland Carbon and Salomon X-Alp, both 98mm lasts. The Atomic skis better, the Salomon tours better.

Is that the weight class I should be looking at? I’m looking for something that is a good balance of up/down performance, but not uphill focused

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Vermontfreeride View Post
    Is that the weight class I should be looking at?
    It's the class I would be looking at for a "dedicated touring boot".

The number of 98mm lasted touring boots is very limited (and nobody goes narrower unless you consider the Lange XT Free LV a "touring boot" - if you want to go heavier, it's pretty much just the Hawx Ultra 130 XTD and the Salomon S/Lab MTN (but the MTN has a loose ankle pocket).

Gotcha, thanks for the info. Are there other options in the low/med volume fit that are in the 99-100 last size? I was only thinking 98mm because I like the fit of the lupos so much

Quote Originally Posted by Vermontfreeride View Post
    Gotcha, thanks for the info. Are there other options in the low/med volume fit that are in the 99-100 last size? I was only thinking 98mm because I like the fit of the lupos so much
    Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro is 99mm and a great boot @ 1300 grams . . .

The Hawx Ultra 130 XTD is a pretty sweet boot, especially the updated one this year with their smartly designed buckles.

I usually am in pretty narrow boots for alpine (a 25.5 Head Raptor 140) but since my feet are different sizes (26.5 left and 25 right) but a 25.5 for touring is too much (well, too little...), I settled on a 26 Scarpa Maestrale XT for this year (still a 25 shell, but not as aggressive as my Head as Scarpa shells break on the full size). It's a bigger last (101 stated in 27, so likely 99 in my 27) but I found it to work pretty well on a shop floor, my heels not lifting when walking in walk mode. It may be an option if you're a bit between sizes.

The Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro is quite a nice boot, but I found it pretty high volume (so I went 25.5) and its instep is very low. I couldn't bear it; I actually couldn't bear it in a 26.5 either. Everybody's instep varies of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Crash View Post
    The Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro is quite a nice boot, but I found it pretty high volume (so I went 25.5) and its instep is very low. I couldn't bear it; I actually couldn't bear it in a 26.5 either. Everybody's instep varies of course.
    The Tour Pro instep seems pretty average to me, mine is moderately high and I had no problem. It is easy to get more instep room by grinding the bootboard, though, takes about 15 seconds.

How about dynafit TLTs...? Backland is weird because it's narrow last and high volume. X alp is fairly low volume. Since you have the lupos already I'd go with one of those 3 boots, maybe there are a couple others kicking around from lasportiva. I'm assuming you are looking for a super light super long day boot... the backlands tour amazing without the tongue.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

The Backland Carbon I believe is 98mm and has the custom shell tech. I have both the Backland and the Technica Zero G Pro Tour and they compliment each other nicely. The Backlands without the tongue in walk AMAZING well. When you mod the tongues to more easily pop them in and out it hardly takes any time (and I hate fiddling).

Ive also toured a number of days in TLT’s and IMO the dynafit last (especially the heel) is garbage compared to Atomic, Technica, or Salomon.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Thanks for all the advice! I ended up picking up some tlt6 performance relatively cheap (went with one size up per some recommendations), gonna give those a shot and maybe move to the zero g tour pro or backland carbon when I sell some of my shit