Prescription Inserts for Goggles

found a few old thread on this, but the data points were all over the map.

Has anyone had a good experience with the prescription inserts that go into goggles? My 10 year old is basically blind as bat without glasses but can't wear them in his racing helmet because the arms pinch his face and generally drive him nuts. He's also not yet willing to wear contacts.

We are looking into getting him a set of goggles with prescription inserts. The reviews range from "it's the best thing ever" to "the distance from your face it is too great and they are unusable". Fogging is also an issue, but hopefully anti-fog treatments can help.

It looks like they are $$215-350 US ($460 CAD), including the goggles which is a metric fuckton of money. They say you can't put a price on your child's happiness, yet here we are.

The reality is that a lot of it will be covered by our eye plans, but I worry we'll spend the money and then be stuck with a pair of $$$ goggles we could have bought for $80.

I just picked up a pair of these from my local eyeglass shop. Only $125 with prescription lenses, and they fit into almost any pair of goggles. No on slope testing, so can't comment on the fogging issue, but they are just the right distance from your eyes when in the goggles.

Name:  s-l400.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  39.7 KB

Pretty psyched to try them out.

yeah I seen those ^^ in a FB link or something and I wondered ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I had them in my Smith IO/X goggles from like 6 years ago. I hated them. It felt like they were the wrong prescription but maybe it was because they were too far from my eyes? Also the battery powered fan worked but chewed through batteries (like a pair of AAs per day of skiing) and would allow snow into the goggle unless the fan was on.

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    I just picked up a pair of these from my local eyeglass shop. Only $125 with prescription lenses, and they fit into almost any pair of goggles. No on slope testing, so can't comment on the fogging issue, but they are just the right distance from your eyes when in the goggles.

Name:  s-l400.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  39.7 KB

Pretty psyched to try them out.
    any idea on brand? $125 is a good deal

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I had a pair almost exactly like the one pictured. I couldnt use it, seemed like I was looking through a Coke bottle or somethibg and gave me a weird almost vertigo like feeling. They returned my money. It seemed like the problem is getting the lens the correct distance from your face.
    Even though they knew what goggle it was going in, it didnt work. The company was pleasant enough to deal with though.

Welp, I reached out to SportRX and they can't do the inserts in his prescription (like I said, he's blind as a bat). They commented that they haven't had much luck with really strong prescriptions.

I'm guessing that is a large reason for the polarising reviews.

Try sportsoptical.com which is located inDenver. They did a pretty strong Smith insert for me. However I run hot and even with the smith turbo fan goggles I had fogging issues.

I do the smith turbo fan with the smith ocular docking system (ods). Works great for me but I do get a little fogging on warm spring days and after face plants.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Went with SportRX three years ago....my first try, just a minor correction...has worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    Went with SportRX three years ago....my first try, just a minor correction...has worked well.
    Went with SportRX last season and they worked well, but they still fogged up even after getting spendy for the anti-fog stuff.
    Last edited by HAMMERandWRENCH;; 11-23-2019 at 07:04 PM.