Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    The bar comes with the DT-3 tool. From the DT-3 page:

Can this be used with a TS1? How far down the truing stand leg is the mounting hole? And what size is the hole?

Best Answer: DT-3 can only be used with the newer TS-2. TS-2.2, TS-4 and TS-4.2

https://www.parktool.com/product/rot...ing-gauge-dt-3

However, if you're motivated, you could certainly use it with a TS-1 (or other brand of truing stand) - all you'd need is to drill a small-ish hole. The bar is secured by a screw/washer on the other side of the arm (the hole in the arm is not threaded - the machine screw's threads engage threads in the bar). Here's the hole, in a TS-2.2 (which is what I have):

Attachment 386261

Here's a pic of the attachment screw/washer (unmounted, obviously):

Attachment 386268
    FKNA mine is a TS-2. Score. Getting that add on for sure. Sweet.

Should work with 27.5, since that's standard roadie wheel size. 29's would probably work too, but maybe only with the tires off (fats: same, I'd guess).
    29 is standard road rim diameter (700C, 27.5 is 650B and is rare on road bikes), but tires, yeah, take off the tires.

I have an older stand and the biggest issue is axle length and diameter, so that might matter, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    29 is standard road rim diameter (700C, 27.5 is 650B and is rare on road bikes), but tires, yeah, take off the tires.

I have an older stand and the biggest issue is axle length and diameter, so that might matter, too.
    This is 100% fake news.

700c is THE standard road bike wheel size (e.g. every single bike in the Tour de France). Folks around 5' tall may opt for a tiny road frame with 26" or even 24" wheels (a spinner GF from my past had one with 24's). But I've never, ever seen or heard of a road bike (i.e. road racing style) with 29's. They probably exist but those would be the rare ones.

Furthermore: 700c (and stated 26", 29", etc wheel size, road or mtb) is the approximate wheel diameter with the tires ON. Actual, standard road rim diameter is more like 26".

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    FKNA mine is a TS-2. Score. Getting that add on for sure. Sweet.
    Don't forget one of these:

Name:  rotor_tool.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  13.6 KB

Lots of folks just use a crescent wrench, but once you use one of these, you'll realize just how fiddly/frustrating the crescent wrench in fact is - no comparison, worth the extra $$$.

I have 10+ cordless tools now

This is by far my favorite
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01FE8D0A-3DB2-4BA4-AB2F-D0355445B5E3.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	804.0 KB 
ID:	387277
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Opps. Finger. Not doing it again
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I like my M18 circular saw too, but I can't say I've ever used it on my bicycle.

This is 100% fake news.

700c is THE standard road bike wheel size (e.g. every single bike in the Tour de France). Folks around 5' tall may opt for a tiny road frame with 26" or even 24" wheels (a spinner GF from my past had one with 24's). But I've never, ever seen or heard of a road bike (i.e. road racing style) with 29's. They probably exist but those would be the rare ones.

Furthermore: 700c (and stated 26", 29", etc wheel size, road or mtb) is the approximate wheel diameter with the tires ON. Actual, standard road rim diameter is more like 26".
    You’re really leaning hard into being wrong.

29” MTB and 700c road are in fact the same rim diameter. A 29” tire will have an ETRTO size listed as something like ‘60-622’; the 60 is the width in millimeters, the 622 is the rim diameter.

A 700c tire will have an ETRTO size of something like ‘25-622’. Different tire width, but same rim diameter as 29er.

Overall diameter of the 29er will be bigger than 700c due to the higher volume tire.

Did not pick up on it being about bike tools. My bad
    I was just trying to escape some very mundane work
    I am currently saving and testing access to app 160 Thelma hosts. I’ve done 40 so far today. Access requests completed last night.

Putty
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Did not pick up on it being about bike tools. My bad
    I also didn't realize it at first. There is a generic tools thread in PR but I don't remember what it's called.

I also can't completely discount the possibility of someday needing a circular saw for bicycle work.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I literally rode to work today on 29" MTB wheels mounted with 700c tires.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 09-29-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I literally road to work today on 29" MTB wheels mounted with 700c tires.
    A literal ride on road wheels on a road? Bonus if it was a littoral road and you littered while riding the roadway to a Rodeway.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I got a fresh new hole punch from Knipex. Great for punching holes in modified race plate.

Name:	IMG_1587.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	387293

I posted this video in the other tool thread. Gawd I wish I had more space in my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post

29” MTB and 700c road are in fact the same rim diameter. A 29” tire will have an ETRTO size listed as something like ‘60-622’; the 60 is the width in millimeters, the 622 is the rim diameter.

A 700c tire will have an ETRTO size of something like ‘25-622’. Different tire width, but same rim diameter as 29er.

Overall diameter of the 29er will be bigger than 700c due to the higher volume tire.
    Yep, sure (re: 29er rim diameter same as road).

I was responding, specifically, to, "29 is standard road rim diameter (700C, 27.5 is 650B and is rare on road bikes)". Which I took to mean that standard road rim diameter was 29". And I don't think I misinterpreted that (vs your "correction"), since the bit in parentheses suggests that 700c is "rare" on road bikes (which would then totally contradict the bit before the parens).

I didn't say anything wrong, in any case. I said standard road bike wheel size is 700c. My roadie has 700c x 25c tires on it. So does every bike in the Tour (ok, maybe there's some 23c's).

Ugh, back to work, which less annoying than this discussion.

EDIT: ok, my statement, "But I've never, ever seen or heard of a road bike (i.e. road racing style) with 29's" then no longer makes sense. Oopsie

Seriously? Wow. Sorry to have confused you there, let me restate the syntax: 29" mountain bike rims are the same diameter as 700C, which is the standard road rim size. 27.5 is thr same as 650B, which is pretty uncommon on road bikes (though I do know of a few, and their diameter also--like the 29ers--came from the road originally).

I actually thought everyone knew this and you just got crossed up in your post or I would have taken more trouble to be clear about it.

Anyway, the point was, XXXer should be able to manage with his stand as long as it handles modern axles. Probably. Maybe not, but certainly worth a try. Hell, maybe he's lucky and it's got room for bigger tires, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Seriously? Wow. Sorry to have confused you there, let me restate the syntax: 29" mountain bike rims are the same diameter as 700C, which is the standard road rim size. 27.5 is thr same as 650B, which is pretty uncommon on road bikes (though I do know of a few, and their diameter also--like the 29ers--came from the road originally).

I actually thought everyone knew this and you just got crossed up in your post or I would have taken more trouble to be clear about it.

Anyway, the point was, XXXer should be able to manage with his stand as long as it handles modern axles. Probably. Maybe not, but certainly worth a try. Hell, maybe he's lucky and it's got room for bigger tires, too.
    I'm an idiot I guess. Maybe you too? Both in our own special way, haha. Whatevs, thread drift hereby euthanized. Cheerz.

Wow, that was painful. Glad you lads sorted everything out.
    At the end of the day, we’re obviously talking about mountain bikes. Roadie wrenching involves changing the occasional flat and twirling barrel adjusters.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Don’t forget installing gigantic and expensive pulley cages. Also 2nd the park trying tool, soo much better than crescent wrench, won’t ever go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget one of these:

Name:  rotor_tool.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  13.6 KB

Lots of folks just use a crescent wrench, but once you use one of these, you'll realize just how fiddly/frustrating the crescent wrench in fact is - no comparison, worth the extra $$$.
    Yeah, saw that. Can’t say no for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I got a fresh new hole punch from Knipex. Great for punching holes in modified race plate.

Name:	IMG_1587.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	387293

I posted this video in the other tool thread. Gawd I wish I had more space in my garage.
    I mean, that’s awesome and all, but where the hell is the rest of his stuff? The skis, skateboards, more bikes, ball sports stuff, camping gear, coolers, tools, etc? And all the supporting gear?

I call bullshit. This is not a TGR-level garage.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I mean, that’s awesome and all, but where the hell is the rest of his stuff? The skis, skateboards, more bikes, ball sports stuff, camping gear, coolers, tools, etc? And all the supporting gear?

I call bullshit. This is not a TGR-level garage.
    This would be only the bike room. I would have a ski room with a tuning/mounting bench. And then the 3rd room for the other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I also can't completely discount the possibility of someday needing a circular saw for bicycle work.
    I was almost there a few years ago when a buddy (that used to work as a bike wrench back at State College!) needed help removing his Thomson stem after he'd probably tripled the 44 in-lb torque spec on installation. Drill bits were harmed in the removal.

Show off your tool

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    This would be only the bike room. I would have a ski room with a tuning/mounting bench. And then the 3rd room for the other stuff.
    Dammit. Now you’ve got me thinking.

How much do I use our dining room, really?

I just realized the crank brothers m17 tool that i have has a valve stem core remover on the chain tool/spoke wrench. It's actually not listed in the user guide and I've had it forever. Booyeah no more shitty plastic ones for me