Skins for Line Pescados

I'm looking at getting some Pomoca skins for my Pescados (probably the Free Pro unless sizing doesn't work).

Any recommendation on length from those who have done it? I see two options: 1/ Buy the skin short enough to only go to the notch of the swallow tail (I think someone said 166 cm somewhere), and 2/ Cover all the way to the end (including making a cutout for the swallowtail) and get a new tail attachment to latch in the cutout. Not sure that #2 buys me anything?

What did you do? What would you do differently if anything?

Thanks!

I don't have Pescados, but I'd do #1 if it were me. Seems like you'd get a much more solid attachment of the clip that way, and I really doubt you're going to miss a little bit of skin coverage that far back on the tail.

I don't have pescados, but I would definitely just go back to the notch. Skins on the swallowtails aren't going to buy you any significant increase in traction, and for sure will come loose, get snow under them, and screw up your day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Crash View Post
    I'm looking at getting some Pomoca skins for my Pescados (probably the Free Pro unless sizing doesn't work).

Any recommendation on length from those who have done it? I see two options: 1/ Buy the skin short enough to only go to the notch of the swallow tail (I think someone said 166 cm somewhere), and 2/ Cover all the way to the end (including making a cutout for the swallowtail) and get a new tail attachment to latch in the cutout. Not sure that #2 buys me anything?

What did you do? What would you do differently if anything?

Thanks!
    After the G3, long tail strap fiasco, I've become a fan of tailoring my skin length, along the lines of Pomoca's "Back Fix" option, Black Diamond's single length, etc.

So in the Free Pro, it doesn't appear as if they offer the "Back Fix" option - only the Ready2Climb. My sense is that you won't know your preferred length (based in part on how/where you attach the tail clip) until you have the skins and play with the tail clip.

If the Free Pro is your skin (and not the Climb Pro Guide S), then I'd simulate the Back Fix option by ordering the longest skin, fiddling with it, cutting off the tip loop to achieve the correct length, and finally pick up some Black Diamond Tip loops (or alternatively fabricate your own solution).

And yes, my guess would be to clip into the notch as well.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-19-2019 at 03:09 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I have Pescado’s that I tour on. 166cm is about right. I only went to the notch.

A few thoughts.

I would do a ‘wall to wall’ cut if you care about traction. I’ve been running 120mm skins straight and you need to work to keep them flat.

I would think twice about the Pomoca. That’s my go to skin even for fully rockered skis but the short contact patch of the Pescado has made me glad I did momix in some situations.

I would buy skins with an adjustable tail attachment and a simple tip loop you attach by folding the skin over to stick to itself

the reason is then you get SO much adjustment

with the extra length of skin folded over to adjust length at the tip and the length in the tail leash you maybe able to repurpose those skins to another ski if needed

it gives you lots of options
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Definitely #1. I run short Pomocas (not sure which model) on my Pescados clipped to the tail notch, and they work perfectly well. I think the skins are a size small, or whichever size is recommended for normal skis ~160-170cm in length.

Image below shows the skin coverage on the base. Traction has never been an issue, although I only bring these out for deep pow days and haven't taken them on many icy skin tracks. The Pescado is a perfect ski for low-angle pow touring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2069.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	825.4 KB 
ID:	302987

Are you guys finding 140mm wide skins sufficient?

definitely use the notch. my other touring skis are twin tips and the skin clamp can slide off if you really botch up a kick turn, annoying as hell. but on the pescados in the notch means it's solid as a rock.

and you can see in my pic that even self cut custom skins don't have much more skin traction area vs Jongle's Pomoca picture (with premade skins?).

Quote Originally Posted by KillerMonkey View Post
    Are you guys finding 140mm wide skins sufficient?
    i have 140mm wide black diamond mohair mix skins. seem to fit pretty perfect, despite the less than perfect trim i did.

Name:	IMG_20191121_130451.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	505.5 KB 
ID:	303135

Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    and you can see in my pic that even self cut custom skins don't have much more skin traction area vs Jongle's Pomoca picture (with premade skins?).
    Yep, they were just stock Pomoca skins, not precut for the ski or anything. I just trimmed for width.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    I would think twice about the Pomoca. That’s my go to skin even for fully rockered skis but the short contact patch of the Pescado has made me glad I did momix in some situations.
    What's the difference here that would matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post

Name:	IMG_2069.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	825.4 KB 
ID:	302987
    Cool, that's what I was thinking. And re: galibier_numero_un's comment, if I had wanted to cover the swallow tail (which is silly... I was away from the skis and I see in the pics how little there is there to cover) and bought the Free Pro, I would have bought them long (180+ cm) and bought/installed a new Back Fix tail strap sold by Pomoca.

I plan to buy 140 mm and trim. I'll have some Mythic 97 and some slightly grippier skins (the Pro S Glide) for when I need to go on something that's not obnoxiously deep enough to warrant the Pescados.

Does anybody know WTF Pomoca hides the lengths of their skins on their Website? All their pages go "XS/S/M/L/etc." and I can't figure out the range of lengths they cover. I must be missing something obvious, or they suck at providing info to their customers.

I must be missing something obvious, or they suck at providing info to their customers.
    I thought it weird when I looked 5 minutes ago too, but wasn't invested enough to actually find if the lengths were elsewhere.
    It could be one of two things. 1) they're sick of dealing with retards who don't even know what length their own skis are. or 2) marketing department got such a hardon when adding that glide grip and weight information that they didn't realize the actual important information is missing.
    I think option 2 is more likely seeing as I couldn't work out what the skins are even made of, just some advertising speak instead.

Seeing as its early season everywhere, I thought I'd mention to be extra careful on your Pescados this time of year. I learned the hard way.
    Last week I hit some sasa grass (its common here in Japan, its like bamboo), did a full somersault tumble forward, and the tails of the skis jammed into the snow and dirt and rocks.
    You can see that one of my fish tails is bent as a result.
    I've got almost 200 days on these, so they're not precious, but I was quite disappointed to have damaged my babies.

Name:	IMG_20191121_160954.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1,014.6 KB 
ID:	303145

Darn... I am in Japan right now (Tokyo). Nearly was going to stay a few more days to try early season around here (Hakuba probably, it's close) but have a non refundable booking in Whistler... which has no !@#^(!@ snow. Ugh!

Will be in Niseko with some friends mid-February though and can use some local knowledge/company then.

I have never skied my Pescados (bought two years ago; mounted last spring; planning to use this year) and hope they will not see damage for a bit... I'm amazed you had enough snow to want to take those out... It looks like some epoxy and a clamp would right yours up. I hope it does.

Darn... I am in Japan right now (Tokyo). Nearly was going to stay a few more days to try early season around here (Hakuba probably, it's close) but have a non refundable booking in Whistler... which has no !@#^(!@ snow. Ugh!

Will be in Niseko with some friends mid-February though and can use some local knowledge/company then.

I have never skied my Pescados (bought two years ago; mounted last spring; planning to use this year) and hope they will not see damage for a bit... I'm amazed you had enough snow to want to take those out... It looks like some epoxy and a clamp would right yours up. I hope it does.
    the fat skis help float on the snow that hasn't settled yet, its almost suspended in the air by the grass/sasa and collapses when you put weight on it.
    its probably more important to float right now rather than mid season, the bamboo and rocks are invisible just beneath the surface.
    but mostly, they're the funnest ski I've ever own'ed, I look for any excuse to take them out

they skiied fine today while bent, and its still a little bent up in the right direction at least, so im not sure ill bother trying to do much to them other than try to waterproof it up a little.

say hi when you're in Niseko.

Will say hi!

Found skin length and makeup info in the Pomoca catalog. So it does look like Jongle's skins are indeed a size S (155-170 cm) since they stop short of the 166 cm notch. I like to live dangerously, so I think a size M (165-180 cm) should work? WDMT? Too risky? I'm assuming the smaller number is the length of the skin + shortest adjustment on the tail, and the bigger number is when you use the whole tail. Pomoca says the tail is 11 cm long (nevermind that all their sizes have a 15 cm range).

(BTW, this year's Pescado finally seems to have real sidewalls. and a nice design paying tribute to Japan, after last year's PNW design. Yay x2.)
    Last edited by Dr. Crash; 11-21-2019 at 04:10 AM.

(BTW, this year's Pescado finally seems to have real sidewalls. and a nice design paying tribute to Japan, after last year's PNW design. Yay x2.)
    when I was talking to Eric and team (sorry i'm real bad with names!) he suggested that they had heaps of troubles with inconsistency of the bamboo sidewalls coloring and become a real pain in the ass.

i think the 2018 pescado paulownia veneer topsheet is the prettiest ski ive ever owned. certainly turns heads in lift lines.
    they're almost too pretty, I'm afraid of them being stolen for someone to put up on their wall.
    because of the grain and color i think every ski was slightly unique. ive only seen two other pairs, and i think mine were deeper color, nicer grains and quite a bit better looking than those. obviously some favoritism involved there

Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    I think the 2018 pescado paulownia veneer topsheet is the prettiest ski ive ever owned. certainly turns heads in lift lines.
    It is beautiful, so much that I actually chose to buy it for slightly more money than I could have had the following year's (the one with the PNW-inspired design). I can't wait to ski it.

... I'm assuming the smaller number is the length of the skin + shortest adjustment on the tail, and the bigger number is when you use the whole tail. Pomoca says the tail is 11 cm long (nevermind that all their sizes have a 15 cm range).
    That's the reason I mentioned buying long, cutting the front to the length that gives you the tail coverage you want, and then adding your own tip loop. IOW, simulating the Back Fix for a model they don't show as being an option.

BTW, I wasn't lobbying for full skin coverage to the end of the swallow tail. I should have been more clear. It is indeed silly to do so.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Cool, that is what I am thinking off too.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    That's the reason I mentioned buying long, cutting the front to the length that gives you the tail coverage you want, and then adding your own tip loop. IOW, simulating the Back Fix for a model they don't show as being an option.
    I think if I order the M size (165-180 cm), given that everybody has measured the notch at 166, I should get the longest coverage I can get to the notch. The worst case is if it's a bit too long (because of course they say "approx") and then I'd have to order a separate Back Fix kit. The things one does for a bit of extra glide and a fun pink color...

For reference this is the chart from the catalog:

Name:	Screenshot 2019-11-22 at 20.43.51.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	259.0 KB 
ID:	303303

Ignore the plug about finding the "perfect" length on their Web site: they have the Pescado at 180 cm so of course they say the perfect skin size is L. Boo.

All those things being said, it looks like Pomoca always shows skins with a bunch of ski exposed in the back, so maybe S is plenty, just like in Jongle's setup... And it's not like there's much grip in the back, so it'd be lighter/better glide overall. I am overthinking this...

Name:	Screenshot 2019-11-22 at 20.55.18.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	338.3 KB 
ID:	303304
    Last edited by Dr. Crash; 11-22-2019 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I think if I order the M size (165-180 cm), given that everybody has measured the notch at 166, I should get the longest coverage I can get to the notch. The worst case is if it's a bit too long (because of course they say "approx" and then I'd have to order a separate Back Fix kit. The thing one does for a bit of extra glide and a fun pink color... If I order the S I am probably just fine too, with less carpet on the tail where it may not matter anyways...