Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Do your kids remember when

My wife and I were talking about the things that have and haven't happened during our kids lifetime and we realized that from the earliest times they can remember our country has been at war so they haven't had a chance to remember what it's like to live in a country that's not at war.

What are some of the things your kids remember that have changed dramatically?

My kids don't remember ducking under the desk at school to survive an atomic bomb.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

shoplifting Penthouse mags from Borders.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Calling p-o-p-c-o-r-n for the time from your phone that connected to the wall.

I think he's asking about things that have changed since they came along. Social media is the big one I think. Our kids were born in the '90's, social media has exploded in their lifetimes and they're aware of it.

My two kids only learned about abortion technology.

As someone who's closer in age to Ice or GL's kids, I think one of the things that stands out to me as having changed most dramatically in my lifetime is the attitude toward/acceptance of homosexuality in this country. That was a monumental shift that happened quite quickly.

Making it legal was a big step.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

One remembers life before 09/11/01. Trick or Treating w/out mommy or daddy tagging along. The sheer volume of social media websites.

I think that social mores changed much more dramatically for kids growing up in the '50s-70s, than the 80s-teens
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    My wife and I were talking about the things that have and haven't happened during our kids lifetime and we realized that from the earliest times they can remember our country has been at war so they haven't had a chance to remember what it's like to live in a country that's not at war.

What are some of the things your kids remember that have changed dramatically?
    Our country is not at war. The 8% of Americans who are active duty or veterans and their families are or have been at war. For the rest of us it's business as usual except when we have to take our shoes off at the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    My two kids only learned about abortion technology.
    Good to learn an "in demand skill."

I gots no kids but my 29 YO niece was blown away when I told her you could smoke on an airplane into the late '80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I gots no kids but my 29 YO niece was blown away when I told her you could smoke on an airplane into the late '80's.
    Yeah, and had to be creative to smoke the more fun stuff on a plane

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post
    Unless it was one of those widebody DC10's where the front half of the plane was an open lounge with a 15 foot long bar down one side. I spent an afternoon in one and got blitzed, drank and smoked all sorts of fun stuff with a group of Euros.

Yeah old goat it's not the "traditional" war where everything shuts down to focus on the big thing but that hasn't really happened since WWII, even Korea the country just moved along and did it's thing. It's more like never knowing a world where that wasn't one of the top talking points.

That gender equality thing is pretty significant.

What about cell phones or is that too obvious? How about a TV remote with a wire and no volume control...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Our country is not at war. The 8% of Americans who are active duty or veterans and their families are or have been at war. For the rest of us it's business as usual except when we have to take our shoes off at the airport.
    That's an odd comment. Makes us feel unaccountable for our actions as a country and maybe that the military community is operating in a vacuum?

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post
    Not on Swiss Air.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

War?

Like a Congressionally declared war?

Am I showing my age?

We sure seem to live in uptight times. Between the politically correct left and the lunatic religious evagiticals, it's been tough.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

One thing jumps out. My kids have never known a time where any show they want to see is readily available at their whim, they have always been able to rewind or record live tv, and they have never worried about missing any show as it is recorded or on demand.

In the late'70s and through the '80s anyone could smoke anything in the bathroom, or in the smoking aisles. a smokeless bowl went a long way.
    Also, no one checked ID, so I could fly with my sister's/friend's ticket and no one cared.

But, this has nothing to do with the initial premise of this thread.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Luckily, my kids have never had to witness my wife trying to navigate using a paper map either. Google Maps and Waze have killed that problem. Their lives are better for it. I am still scarred.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Luckily, my kids have never had to witness my wife trying to navigate using a paper map either. Google Maps and Waze have killed that problem. Their lives are better for it. I am still scarred.
    Zing!
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Not sure how I dodged that bullet but I'm glad I did. It would have been ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    AAA TripTik or Mapquest?
    I still call it The Jake.

My daughter can remember when our home telephones were land lines and not cell phones.

Yellow pages
    Betamax
    Move upside and let the man go through...