Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Just buy yourself some warm shit and go hang out with the wife at the ice. But don't try to learn to skate - your gonna hurt yourself and those injuries will get in the way of skiing. You're too old to be falling on ice. And you're gonna fall. A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    This incredible video was posted in the SW Montana thread a few weeks ago. There are maggots in this video.

If this does not make you want to go ice skating, I donít know what will...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    they ^^are on nordic blades, way easier/more stable than hockey skates but kind of expensive unless you already own XC ski boots/bindings

IME when the skiiing is good usually the skating sucks and vice versa but this year the local weather is record-setting warm so everything sucks
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Unable to advise without pics of wife.
    ^^^ This^^^... and get your ass out there. Skating's a blast!

(maybe wear a helmet the first few times out?)

New skates suck way worse than new ski boots. I always got new skates 2-3 months before hockey season started to break them in. Finding a used pair that feels good will cut down on some of the pain you're about to endure.

A good way to learn proper technique is..

1. Set your skates shoulder width apart. Keep shoulders over knees. The lower you can get, the more balance/power you'll have.

2. Push off with one leg, extending your heel behind you.

3. Glide on the other skate as long as you can while slowly returning the push off skate to the original position. Eventually this will be one smooth motion.

4. Repeat 10,000 times then try out for the NHL.

P.S. learn to stop before you do all of this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app
    "Skiing is the easy part, Carl."

FWIW, my local rink suggests to sign up at https://www.learntoskateusa.com/ to get hooked up with a local course near you if that's something you'd be into. Local rink says they have lessons for both kids and adults so could be a good place to start?

Waiting for some ice so I can get some practice in before the 3on3 tourney I got roped into. Try to get out a couple times a year but haven't really played since high school(minus pickup games). Local tourney here is pretty big so should be a blast. And they just added a masters so next year I'll qualify for that(40+).

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxxx View Post
    New skates suck way worse than new ski boots. I always got new skates 2-3 months before hockey season started to break them in. Finding a used pair that feels good will cut down on some of the pain you're about to endure.

A good way to learn proper technique is..

1. Set your skates shoulder width apart. Keep shoulders over knees. The lower you can get, the more balance/power you'll have.

2. Push off with one leg, extending your heel behind you.

3. Glide on the other skate as long as you can while slowly returning the push off skate to the original position. Eventually this will be one smooth motion.

4. Repeat 10,000 times then try out for the NHL.

P.S. learn to stop before you do all of this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app
    No need to learn how to stop. That's what the boards are for.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    No need to learn how to stop. That's what the boards are for.
    Or checking! I swear, half the guys who did that to me when playing hockey probably just didn't know how to stop and I just happened to be in their way. Right?

if you can ski, you can skate. its actually not that hard with a skiing background. you already know the skating motion from skating flats on skis and hockey stopping, you can pizza, french fry and parallel turn. You already skating blues, probably blacks hahaha Just do it

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    what are you waiting for?

This.

Just remember : not to fall on the saw, not to be too drunk, check the speed so you don't end up in...say... the rushes.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    if you can ski, you can skate. its actually not that hard with a skiing background. you already know the skating motion from skating flats on skis and hockey stopping, you can pizza, french fry and parallel turn. You already skating blues, probably blacks hahaha Just do it
    Drop a knee!

Skating on ponds and lakes is one of the better delights during harsh NE winters. Go for it, but gets some cheap used hockey pads to protect your ass, knees, elbows and wrists

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid