Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I tried roller and ice skating for the first time in 25 years a couple of years ago. If you can ski then you can do them, you'll pick them up fast. Took me maybe 2 times before I was comfortable going at a reasonable speed, crossing over around the turns and being able to stop more or less where I want to. And I've got a wooden leg, so it should be easier for you bipeds.

You should try out roller skating too if you haven't. Great way to spend a couple of hours with the kids, getting a little exercise and having an unexpectedly fun time. Cheap, too (our local roller rinks are like $5 for two hours plus $3 to rent skates).
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

If you can ski you can ice skate. If you can’t ice skate, then you really can’t ski either.
    Falling is the worst part of ice skating. Watch those wrists and yer mellon.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    We need proof she's a natural redhead, however, fucking a go for it. She's a redhead. We know what they are like. I married one too.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    It's not a difficult sport with similarities to skiing.
    Seriously. If you can skate on skis, you don't have to learn how to ice skate, you already know how. I never skated as a kid. But at a family reunion 10 years ago, there was a skating rink and it was pretty much the only outdoor activity available (and was free). So I slapped on some skates and within a few minutes I was skating around the rink, a few minutes later I was doing that little crossover thing that skaters do. Never did do the hockey stop, that took commitment that I wasn't ready for. But I could skate right off the bat, you can too.

So....
    Quote Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
    stop being a pussy
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Really good suggestions here.. I'm getting more comfortable (or more stupid) with the idea.

Do It !

I had never skied before meeting this girl who was on her high school ski team in Portland after college. She dropped me for some doctor, but I have been skiing and skating ever since.

(so for those of you that got the hate for me, it's all Julie Collins fault; I may never have skied and looked for TGR if I had not met her).
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

If you just want to skate easy laps you'll be fine. One day last winter all my in-laws wanted to go skate laps at the Utah Olympic Oval. I had ice skated once before, for maybe an hour 25+ years prior. Within 30-40 minutes I confidently cruising laps at pretty good speed and doing crossovers in the turns. The basics are just not that hard if you're reasonably athletic and have experience in other balance-intensive sports like skiing and surfing. Inline skating experience helps too, but ice is a very different beast. Hockey skates all the way. Finally, while the basics are easy I wouldn't touch hockey or the easiest figure skating moves with a ten-foot pole.

I think this may be the first time in the history of TGR that actually worked.

Weight forward, knees bent, keep some speed. Don't be too timid. Falling backward is the suck, only fall forward.

I've heard tight pants, sequenced vests and lots of hair product help too.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Figure skates have shorter blades and the toe tines do not help at all as you catch them on the ice and go down easier. Hockey skates are easier to learn on and once good at them you can go faster. It's not a difficult sport with similarities to skiing.
    Fixed it for you.. I started on Ice Skates and pretty much wanted them ground down (needed more for tricks and the jumps etc. according to what I know) and off but then moved to a pair of Hockey Skates and became much better without having to worry about catching a toe and falling face forward... I carried over much of what I learned to skiing (stopping similar to hockey stops on ice, skating and edging on skis and the balance have some similarity) and it also can carry over to roller blading and or roller skating before blades were all the rage after they came along and not just the winter or rinks with prepared ice.

Also hockey skates- even in rentals are usually stiffer and not full leather like Ice Skates are. Better support of the foot- like downhill ski boots or skate skiing on cross country vs the traditional cross country boots that are soft. Rental Ice Skates are traditionally the worst because as stated, not sharp, not supportive in the ankles due to others not tightening them and they break down and you look like a snow plow stance without any V shape angle front to back....

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    If you can ski you can ice skate. If you can’t ice skate, then you really can’t ski either.
    Falling is the worst part of ice skating. Watch those wrists and yer mellon.
    This, I doubt you'll have much trouble. Definitely consider wristguards for your first few sessions though. You will look like a dork, but it's better than a broken wrist.

what ice said on page 1, gunna have a bad time if you clench

what are you waiting for?

watch out for snakes

^I wanna be that guy when I grow up^

Couple of 90 minute skates twice a week will transform your flexibility and balance. Any hip issues will likely go away. Brace and pad up!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    We need proof she's a natural redhead, however, fucking a go for it. She's a redhead. We know what they are like. I married one too.
    Looks like the CNN money gal.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    I think this may be the first time in the history of TGR that actually worked.
    Right?

You lucky dawg.

Order skates now.
    watch out for snakes

Pads and a skate helmet with deep rearward protection are your friends. Knees, elbows, wrists/hands, hips and head take a beating when you're learning. Don't learn when she's around, it's kinda like don't teach your SO to ski or mt bike, leave it up to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    deep rearward protection
    It is always good advice to have this.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

JFC dude, it’s fancy walking. Go have fun. When you get to FroZone level post a video.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Lots of win in here.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Did people ice skate back in the mid 1950s?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

There are a few things in life that everyone should know how to do. Skiing and skating are two of them
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Lots of good stuff here, but I can't believe nobody's commented on the awesome Team Commie Lada.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Did people ice skate back in the mid 1950s?
    skating was hudge! My mom circa 1950

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	996.8 KB 
ID:	302850