Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Name a few "resorts" there that you like, please.
    The one i know and like is bareges/la mongie. For my kind of skiing, couloirs, it's the best

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    For whatever reason, outside of Wasatch Weather Weenies, its quite difficult to get information on snowfall/climate of the Alps. Maybe its because Pow skiing =BC skiing in Europe and there's not the same emphasis on updating a snow report?? Idk. Regardless could anyone help me out w/the following info

1. Best Pow Skiing Europe? Do the Swiss, Italian, Austrian, French, Italian mega resorts get 400" inches plus??
    The other questions have been answered. For snowfall history this site is as good as any I've found: https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/top-1...esorts-europe/

He doesn't show his working there, but seems to be a fairly legit weather/snow geek, and his season review articles are pretty interesting too: https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/weath...the-most-snow/

*He is generally talking about snow 'in resort' aka in the village at the base of the lifts and not necessarily where the skiing is

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    The one i know and like is bareges/la mongie. For my kind of skiing, couloirs, it's the best

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	720AFDFA-736B-4D8D-B2DA-F5D40DF2F856.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	286.4 KB 
ID:	304140

This place is pretty cheap and easy to get to from the East Coast. In mid winter, Boston to Toulouse is going from $475....

Name:	BA5D05CB-07AC-4871-9DFC-5C257A76A54F.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	304138

...but if you’re willing to drive a few more hours, New York to Barcelona is going from as low as $285!

Name:	A64D409E-1A31-4967-9B33-FC9FEBD82E8A.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	304137

With regular walkup lift rates at $49, the yurps is looking much cheaper than the west coast this year...... again.

bump

covid lockdown got me jonesing for the Western Alps

Spent some time on a work trip in Ticino Canton in Svizerra and IMO its the raddest part of Italy with the fusion of the Germanic Efficiency and Italian Culture. When I was in Locarno there looked like there were some legit mountains but was bummed to see the biggest resorts are like the size of Solitude i.e. Airolo and Bosco Gurin (anyone ever been, the scenery and isolation look sick)

Also very interested in some beta on Monterosa. Apparently it has great terrain, is huge, gets dumped on and no one goes there???

bump

Spent some time on a work trip in Ticino Canton in Svizerra and IMO its the raddest part of Italy with the fusion of the Germanic Efficiency and Italian Culture. When I was in Locarno there looked like there were some legit mountains but was bummed to see the biggest resorts are like the size of Solitude i.e. Airolo and Bosco Gurin (anyone ever been, the scenery and isolation look sick)

Also very interested in some beta on Monterosa. Apparently it has great terrain, is huge, gets dumped on and no one goes there???
    Shit, those of us that live in the Alps are jonesing for em too!

bump

Airolo is great, small by Euro standards but deeeelivers on quality snow and has great steep skiing.. It's easy to get to/from Andermatt by train from there too: https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Monterosa is fantastic, huDge with lots of ridiculous offpiste, both reasonable and suicidal. It does not get consistent snow and lots of terrain is south facing and can get sun hammered. But there's 7k vert off the top and some incredible routes off to skiers left like the Bors and Malfatta, Another, the Vittoria is a ropes and harness required deal. A guide is worth it for a couple of days and the senior guy there is Sergio Gabbio who runs a hotel in Alagna: http://www.montagnadiluce.it/en/serg...ountains-lord/.
    If the weather is clear, the touring possibilities up to the refugios in the area are great.

Also, https://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/ has information on euro resorts compleeeet with snow forecasts.

(edit) But the best powbang per euro is at https://www.mt-lodge.com/ near Disentis in the SkiArena.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 12-08-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Thanks for the beta! I know as of earlier this month Switzerland was open to Intl travel from the US...y'all know if Italy is too?

I would also try the French Pyrenees.
    As opposed to the Alps or the us, you can ski powder for a week after a storm, especially if you're willing to bike a bit

Lots of steep couloirs

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks for the beta! I know as of earlier this month Switzerland was open to Intl travel from the US...y'all know if Italy is too?
    I'm not going this year because I think travel increases the chance of exposure for everyone.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Only open if you wear your MAGA hat

Unfortunately, US citizens can't go to Switzerland.
    https://www.eda.admin.ch/countries/usa/en/home.html
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 2.35.30 PM.png
Views: 340
Size:  68.5 KB