Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    For whatever reason, outside of Wasatch Weather Weenies, its quite difficult to get information on snowfall/climate of the Alps. Maybe its because Pow skiing =BC skiing in Europe and there's not the same emphasis on updating a snow report?? Idk. Regardless could anyone help me out w/the following info

1. Best Pow Skiing Europe? Do the Swiss, Italian, Austrian, French, Italian mega resorts get 400" inches plus??
    2. Is all off piste "resort skiing" back country skiing? Is there any mitigation on off piste terrain? Any glades, wooded areas that hold stashes that done require guides?
    3. What is the European equivalent of Snowbird- Easy Access, Great terrain, deep pow, etc ?

Would like to head to Europe March/April but have no concept of what skiing is like over there
    Chamonix. End of story. It’s so high it’s always snowing somewhere on the mountain. The terrain will be pretty tame for a Snowbird skier. I wouldn’t worry about avy gear or getting some weenie euro guide, unless you really want some little Frenchman telling you what to do. Definitely bring your MAGA hat and make sure to tell them that climate change is all a hoax.

Best Pow Skiing in the Alps/Europe?

I’ll be figuring out the Davos/Klosters, Pizol, Andermatt and Engelberg areas this winter. Just moved to Zurich over the summer, but by March or so, I should have it figured out to a degree. Hit me up if you come out this way. Oh and getting around Switzerland is super easy. The train system here is incredible. I haven’t driven a car in 4 months. You can be skiing 3 hours after you land in Zurich.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I’ll be figuring out the Davos/Klosters, Pizol, Andermatt and Engelberg areas this winter. Just moved to Zurich over the summer, but by March or so, I should have it figured out to a degree. Hit me up if you come out this way. Oh and getting around Switzerland is super easy. The train system here is incredible. I haven’t driven a car in 4 months. You can be skiing 3 hours after you land in Zurich.
    If you don't mind me asking, what brought on the move to Zurich? Career work move or purely pleasure? Either way a pretty awesome place to live.

My lady and I scored a three foot snow week last season at Lech/Zurs/Warth-Schrocken, all easily connected. Unfortunately did not make it to St. Anton. As Buster mentioned the fog can shut you out though. No real tree skiing at any of those places.

i heard moving to Switzerland is a bitch!

But its probably the only nation I would leave the US for

i heard moving to Switzerland is a bitch!
    Curious how?

Merit based, gotta be in tech or engineering, science or finance basically, need a masters degree PhD or at least an advanced specialty bachelors.

Swiss business has to prove you’re not taking a job from a Swiss citizen and that hiring an American for the position essential. And you have to find a business willing to go through all that.

Much easier if you have an EU member state passport.

You have to pass the Rübli test. And it's kinda hard to pronounce chuchichäschtli. And if you fail you are sentenced to eat yourself through the cheese mountain or be drowned in chocolate. Medieval I tell ya!

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Hmm. I know one dedicated, maniacal ski freak woodworker who managed to get CH citizenship.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Merit based, gotta be in tech or engineering, science or finance basically, need a masters degree PhD or at least an advanced specialty bachelors.

Swiss business has to prove you’re not taking a job from a Swiss citizen and that hiring an American for the position essential. And you have to find a business willing to go through all that.

Much easier if you have an EU member state passport.
    Sounds like all of the EU. Even though Switzerland isn't EU.

Schengen, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what brought on the move to Zurich? Career work move or purely pleasure? Either way a pretty awesome place to live.
    Both? A job in my company was open and we went for it because we wanted to try living in Europe for a while. We hire lots of people outside of CH - in the tech industry.

<snip>
    But its probably the only nation I would leave the US for
    I'd move to almost any European nation at this point, give the right opportunity. And Canada - wouldn't hesitate to move to the Canadian Rockies.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Chamonix. End of story. It’s so high it’s always snowing somewhere on the mountain. The terrain will be pretty tame for a Snowbird skier. I wouldn’t worry about avy gear or getting some weenie euro guide, unless you really want some little Frenchman telling you what to do. Definitely bring your MAGA hat and make sure to tell them that climate change is all a hoax.
    This ^^

To get an idea, this is their latest beginners terrain:

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I'd move to almost any European nation at this point, give the right opportunity. And Canada - wouldn't hesitate to move to the Canadian Rockies.
    Me too, but speaking only English makes Switzerland easier. Shit, the shopkeepers in that country speak six languages.

Its hard. So hard even a backpacking hobo could do it

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Have van, will travel.

There was a ski in ski out rec vehicle lot at the base of La Plagne that a quad rode over. Looked comfy.

So basically if you are a euro skier its either 1. Rip Groomers 2. Park 3. BackCountry?

There is virtually 0% mitigation on "off piste"/non groomed zones?

So if you dont have beacon , shovel , probe and your avy 1 you are never skiing pow?
    Not “virtually” 0%. 0%
    If you ski off-piste you will die.
    If you go to Europe you will die.
    If you go to Chamonix you can hit up the tree run at Les Chosalets.
    Right before you get in over your head and die.

Seems like a good time for the Euro-pow stylings of Ron Funk.

“If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use two feet.”

^Quality post
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

1) Lech, Austria
    Lech and Zürs get more snow than any European ski resort, making this a top Austrian pick. Most people start in the posh village of Lech (using it as a base to explore the Zürs and Arlberg ski areas). Lech is the only resort in Austria to offer heli-skiing, so you can almost guarantee fresh tracks. There are also plenty of short hikes to non-groomed off-piste areas that will sate your addiction to the white powdery stuff. The best way to explore Lech’s steeps is with a guide. The slopes are avalanche controlled, but not patrolled – watch for hidden obstacles.

This is Austria’s most popular resort so check aggregators for deals.

2) There are limitations, but 95 percent of the tracks are open for general use.

I feel I have to correct, as it might have high cost for people.

Quote Originally Posted by YuuseiKoyanagi View Post
    The slopes are avalanche controlled, but not patrolled
    Only the marked routes are controlled.
    Generally off-piste is neither controlled nor patrolled.

There are limitations, but 95 percent of the tracks are open for general use.
    Large areas are protected as wildlife reserves.
    They are marked on the map and often (but not always) on the slopes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I skied all over Europe and for me, the French Pyrénées are best for powder.

Steep, no glaciers, low avalanche danger, maritime deep snowpack.

Tons of steep couloirs.

And best, you can ski untracked powder a week after a storm.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Name a few "resorts" there that you like, please.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I skied all over Europe and for me, the French Pyrénées are best for powder.

Steep, no glaciers, low avalanche danger, maritime deep snowpack.

Tons of steep couloirs.

And best, you can ski untracked powder a week after a storm.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk
    unfortunately it snows even more erractically than in the alps
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.