Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Prescription sunglasses?

Hey folks-
    My husband (Panchosdad) needs an update to his scratched and out of date old prescription sunglasses. He has his eye on goggle-type lenses as they don't fog up as easily. I have a pair of Smith Reverbs that I wear most of the time outdoors, winter and summer, but they only come with a prescription insert, not a full lens.

In my research, I have come up with Oakley Radars (he has a small face), and not much else that fits the bill.

What you got?

IME not all prescriptions fit in all shapes of frames and not all frames fit all faces

IME even if I take the lenses out and just use the frame Rayban wayfarer are reasonable priced/ good quality good fit and fit any lense
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If you don't buy direct from Oakley it will not be an Oakley lens. It might look like an Oakley lens and perform well but it will not be the same.

Costco

Costco does prescription sunglasses?

yes

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    If you don't buy direct from Oakley it will not be an Oakley lens. It might look like an Oakley lens and perform well but it will not be the same.
    About ten years ago we burned a bunch of FSA/HSA money we got free from a company that laid us off owing us those funds. I bought 2 pairs of RX Oakleys and 2 pairs of RX RayBans. The prescription was very light, but the eyeglass store also gave us the stock lenses that came with all 4 pairs.. So, I had both sets of lenses for each of the 4 pairs.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Oakley. (all though everyone has a prescription sunglass these days...)

Costco cheap but didn't care for the sunglass options they had. Have a pair of Smiths that I really like but paid for it.
    Costco plus is that they add a lot of the coating and extra stuff for "free" that I pay a lot for when I get a pair through eye doc.

I've used RX safety to buy rx sunglasses with great results with great prices. You send in your order with your prescription and presto.

https://www.rx-safety.com/product-ca...ns-sunglasses/

Smith Optics Elite and WileyX were the most popular on the jobsite for wrap around wind and flying object protection.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Oakley lenses = overrated. It is easy for a professional to pop out the stock lens and replace them with polarized. In fact, while there are certain Rx that Oakley won't place in their lenses, a good optometrist will be able to have just about any Rx done for you. This, I know from experience.
    Having said that, all my Rx sunglasses for the past 15 years have been either Kaenon Oakley or Maui Jim's. I have a severe stigmatism in both eyes and am near sighted.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I think there's a very thorough thread about this somewhere.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Julbo does some too IIRC.

X2 for julbo. The "trek" is great for biking and skiing. Photochromatic, hydrophobic as well. Bendable arms keep them in place well.
    There is another thread with some good suggestions somewhere

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

IME photochromic or transition lenses don't work well with snow

I beg to differ. Transitions do suck though. They go black in white out conditions
    Check out julbo xc goggs(and lense info)

explain that ^^ statement so it doesn't look like you are contradicting yourself

I have Rudy Project with Rx lenses with their photochromic lenses. I love mine for running, biking, and sometimes skiing. I highly recommend them. I have the Zyon but whatever works.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    explain that ^^ statement so it doesn't look like you are contradicting yourself
    Did you mean "transition" the name brand? Or transition as an alternate wird for photochromic? My friend had "transition"(name brand) photchromic sunglasses they he bought for skiing. Theyd turn super dark when we were skiing no matter the conditions, sunny, cloudy or snowing and he couldnt see shit. Theyd aldo fog up. Both seperate issues that made it painful to ski or ski with him.
    Another friend, ski guide, let me try on his julbo trek photochromic sunnies with the zebra lense. He bought them because he needed rx sunglasses. They fit me great so i bought a pair on sale at "steep and cheap". Ive been skiing with them every day for the last 3 years(atleast) every ski day, on the hill and touring and a lot of my biking days. Theyre awesome in any condition. Dont get super dark. Rarely fog. Moisture gets on them on those days when its snow/borderline rain or a mix of snow up high turning to rain but its quick to pull out my lense rag on the lift and dry off. I dont like the frame color option that was on sale(white/bright green) and would prefer the black/red frames but that and a bit of wind behind them when skiing fast is my only complaints. Im going to try the xc goggs with the same lense(i dont like foam on ski goggles). Julbo has 25% off for 10 more days too. Not sure they still make the "trek" but they have several models with the zebra photochromic lense and i would imagine one or two of the models can be rx

Bought a pair of RX sunglasses from Costco yesterday $149.00. Costco has what they call Drive Wear (transition lenses) that are available in all the frames Costco carries. I bought single vision not bifocals. They do not have a large selection of "sun glass frames" per se but I found a frame that fits my face, seems stylish and for the price Costco charges they look just good.

I’ve purchased on line sunglasses from various Zenni outlets and ave been pleased. At under $50, they seem to be a good value.

For skiing i dont want to compromise. The new POC sunglasses might be worth looking into. Theyre stuff is pricey but they just came out with a photochromic lense that changes instantly(an industry firdt?). Im not sure if they can accept rx. POC make quality stuff, if a little out of my pay grade

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Did you mean "transition" the name brand? Or transition as an alternate wird for photochromic? My friend had "transition"(name brand) photchromic sunglasses they he bought for skiing. Theyd turn super dark when we were skiing no matter the conditions, sunny, cloudy or snowing and he couldnt see shit. Theyd aldo fog up. Both seperate issues that made it painful to ski or ski with him.
    Another friend, ski guide, let me try on his julbo trek photochromic sunnies with the zebra lense. He bought them because he needed rx sunglasses. They fit me great so i bought a pair on sale at "steep and cheap". Ive been skiing with them every day for the last 3 years(atleast) every ski day, on the hill and touring and a lot of my biking days. Theyre awesome in any condition. Dont get super dark. Rarely fog. Moisture gets on them on those days when its snow/borderline rain or a mix of snow up high turning to rain but its quick to pull out my lense rag on the lift and dry off. I dont like the frame color option that was on sale(white/bright green) and would prefer the black/red frames but that and a bit of wind behind them when skiing fast is my only complaints. Im going to try the xc goggs with the same lense(i dont like foam on ski goggles). Julbo has 25% off for 10 more days too. Not sure they still make the "trek" but they have several models with the zebra photochromic lense and i would imagine one or two of the models can be rx

a catch-all for photo chromic lenses, maybe they are getting better or some brands work better around snow but IME they didnt and ratehr than chase that idea i just use a normal Rx sunglass

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    a catch-all for photo chromic lenses, maybe they are getting better or some brands work better around snow but IME they didnt and ratehr than chase that idea i just use a normal Rx sunglass
    With proper amount of light transmission % for the day, i cant see why your choice would be a problem. I dont think mine change a ton throughout the run or day unless it goes from socked in to bluebird. They do have a wide range and dont go super dark so that helps. The bit of reflective lense to them help a lot when the sun is direct and bright. For spring glacier glasses more reflective and darker would be preferable

I put my pair on the widow sill one night, they are older (at least 10 yrs old) so when I come back in the morning sun there was a cross hatch pattern on the glasses ( from the shadow of the bug screen ! ) at first i thot the glasses were somehow fucked but when I picked them up out of the sun the pattern went away in about 30 seconds as the lenses changed and i realized what was going on