Anyone using the Marquette Backcountry Ski?

Don't know how these flew under my radar for so long. I just became aware of them while reading about the whole Backcountry.com legal thingy a few days ago. They look like the perfect tool for what the design and use intentions are...and we have a lot of little pieces of suitable terrain in our neighborhood. I'd probably mount some Dynafit tech binderz onto them since my regular snowboots/mixed condition hiking boots are old beat up Dynafit Mercuries.

Besides the product itself, Snapperheads Inventions sounds like a worthy company to support. Great interview with the owner, David Ollila on the Wintery Mix podcast. Personal/company values are on point.

Anyone have any feedback on their real world use?

product:
    https://www.snapperhead-inventions.c...ackcountry-ski

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 1613
Size:  134.3 KB

interview with David Ollila on the Wintery Mix podcast
    https://wintrymix.podbean.com/e/73-d...y-gets-served/
    Last edited by swissiphic; 11-18-2019 at 09:58 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Had similar thoughts, but wondering if the ski material will hold binding screws outside of the inserts?

I use these in VT as my morning dog walk ski. A couple of miles of rolling terrain, seven days a week, six months a year for about five years. So more time on these than any of my touring setups.

Voile HD three pins, and old Scarpa T2’s.

Cons: heavy, fish scales lose traction at moderate pitch, wet snow can stick to bases.

Pros: ski over rocks, roots, dogs, they are pretty much indestructible. If I were more anal I’d re-dremel the fish scales as they are now a bit worn out.

Basically way more fun than snow shoes for rolling terrain, and allow you to get in some turns on the down. But not practical for real touring, more of a messing around near home thing.

I would think you could epoxy (G flex) in threaded inserts and mount whatever bindings you like, very dense material.

What we do quite often. We have Hok's @ the house. Mounted 3 pin. Even better cause none of us are tele skiers. Makes you feel like a kid again.

Cut some new trails last weekend. This one is gonna be gnarly...

Altai Hoks have permanently attached skin inserts instead of the fishscales on the Marquettes, but otherwise a similar concept (and the Hoks are from Canada!). I have Hoks, and they are a lot of fun for messing around in the backyard and local forests. Think of them like sliding snowshoes. I use them in terrain with lots of little ups and downs, and Voile 3 pin bindings with leather tele boots work well for this.

Another. Hudge send in this one.

swiss to answer your question, buy these things. Marquette's, Hok's, whatever. Like others have said, If you have the right area these are super fun. If you like to snowshoe, you'll never do that again. These are simply way more fun.

Just another really cool way to slide on snow.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback so far. The issue of wet snow sticking to base is a consideration cause the skis would be used a low elevations featuring a >70 percent moist/wet snowpack. I have an old can of flouro Swix (F4?) paste wax from circa 1994 that would be used to mitigate that issue. Can't use it on reg skis 'cause it fawks with the skin stick and glue.

Kootenayskier: For mounting tech binderz, I was thinking two options:

1. Plastic cutting board binding mount plate and screw it into existing binding inserts...but i'm not a fan of higher stack height so.....

2. Go old school snowboard binding mount and just drill holes through the skis and mount bindings with regular hardware store T-nuts and bolts. I've used that system before on old skis with totally stripped binding mount screw holes. Filed edges of T-nuts to a rounded, smooth contour and shaved a bit of base material to make the T-nuts seat a bit more flush.

Rustygroomer; sounds like you know what time it is. Keeping the fun in sliding on/in snow really is what it's all about, the more toys/tools to do it with the better.
    Master of mediocrity.

I use mine with a low top tele boot and 3 pin, they are great and you can even make alpine turns on them if its steep enough, they seem to be pretty tough to tele turn compared to my normal tele skis. I love them in thinner conditions because A they cant get damged, B. if you hit stuff its feel less bad.

to slow for real long distance tours or for real ups and downs but for my 400-800 vertical backyard with some steep open pitches in northern vermont I love them and use them several times a week dog walking.

I want to see Swissific dumpster dive an old pair of fat kids skis, router out a channels in the base, and glue in strips of salvaged skin material.

(That’s what I would do if I had the time)

Time to bust out the old Tele Yupi vid, crank the music in your cubicle, Ja Wobble !

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Maybe I'm missing something. This is just a short, fat, xc ski with fishscales, no? What makes it better -- or even different -- than other waxless xc skis?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

looks like Marquette has inserts for a Voile 3 pin, I'm betting the 140mm under foot makes it pretty stable

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something. This is just a short, fat, xc ski with fishscales, no? What makes it better -- or even different -- than other waxless xc skis?
    These are snowblades, and the other ones aren't.

Marquette's seem like a economical version of BD's Glidlites - http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...1.html#start=1

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    What makes it better -- or even different -- than other waxless xc skis?
    Much wider and super durable?

Haven't skied the Marquettes, but have an older pair of Karhus that were the predecessor to the Hoks. Stupid fun.

But I think the fishscale approach is better for this application.

BD look like a rebranded??. sorry can't remember the name. Sporten also makes something similar with a skin.

I think the Marquette niche is cheap and tough.

If I were going to purchase something in the class right now I would probably go for the Altai Kom which is fishscaled and high 90s under foot.

Short Voile BC ski are similar.

the reason for marquette is they can ski thin sketchy condition much better, and dont take damage, they are also can not cut dog paws for dog walks. My Voile v6 bc are much faster and better at actually skiing but in thin cover I hate them and they get destroyed, they can also cut my dog if they get to close.

so there are no steel edges ?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    These are snowblades, and the other ones aren't.
    These are BC, Tele, snowbladez. The trifecta of ghey.

I love mine. Can't wait for Hok season. Which comes a little earlier for me. I can ski these with just a few inches of base. Most conditions wind up being fun too. Ice layer usually just means a little faster.

I would never choose this over @ day @ the mountain but as another means to slide around in the woods they're great. Usually out on a nice night.

XXX, yes, steel edges. I think it's the speed that makes a difference. The built-in skin on the Hoks keeps your speed pretty controlled for the most part. Plus, they're only 145cm. Just less edge in general.

Marquette’s are monolithic dense plastic, no steel edges.

4200g for a pair?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ctsmith View Post
    Marquette’s are monolithic dense plastic, no steel edges.
    Huh, sounds like when a roommate and I put tele bindings on waterskis and slid around the foothills in salt lake