Thread: ski skin fix ?

ski skin fix ?

Everything seems in good shape minus where the g3 skin tore either side of the tip attachment. Voile straps saved the day, but looking for thoughts on how to fix. The skins minus the tear seem to be in good shape and where they are the ones for my rock skis, I would rather repair than replace and spend as little as possible.

I have thought of two solutions:sewing or gluing. I would prefer gluing as it is much simpler for me and I have some West Systems gflex on hand. Sewing would mean some purchases for heavy duty thread or I know a person who is a professional sewer.

Anyone done a repair like this that lasted?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_123923953.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	302668

While gflex is flexier than standard epoxy, I wouldn't think it'd be anywhere near flexible enough to work well on a large patch of skin like that. I think you'll end up with a fairly rigid section of skin if you epoxy it.

No experience with doing a similar repair, but if it were me, I'd glue it with a thin coat of shoe-goo, then sew it at least around the edges. And I probably wouldn't worry about getting too elaborate with the sewing - I'd just hand stitch it with some reasonably thick thread. Although you'll probably need a stout needle and a thimble to get through the skin material.

No idea on the fix, but if you can't get it working, new G3 Alpinists are $75 on Sierra right now, so it's an easy replacement

I second the shoe goo recommendation. And since i'm lazy, i'd bypass the secondary/redundancy measure of sewing.
    Master of mediocrity.

I've done shoe goo on a similar failure. Worked fine. I think I did a little sewing with dental floss at the corners to stop it from propagating further, but don't exactly remember, it was years ago.

I 2nd HABs advice. I've fixed edge tears with shoegoo and it has worked really well. Have used dental floss and shoegoo on wetsuit repairs with great results.

Thanks all. I had doubts about the gflex otherwise I would have just gone that way.

I fixed a skin with aquaseal and drywall repair tape, you scrape the glue off, tape the skin with the repair tape and layer on some AQS, you don't need to sew anything and besides stitches will atract snow . There is a thread on it with pictures
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thought I did a search, ha not even a year old https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ht=skin+repair

Thanks xxx-er aquaseal and tape it is.

how to repair almost any fucking thing with AQS

this is also a good one to read cuz I be like the Tom Vu of Tolulene eh

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...h-Aqua-seal-eh

if you don't wana buy the drywall repair tape I used to cut up dryer anti-static sheets to back repairs with good results ... AKA Polish fibreglass

ski skin fix ?

Sounds like you already found your solution but FWIW I had a buddy sew up a skin tear (think he actually asked his Mom?) and it worked out fantastically! Definitely not any sort of professional type of job, when I originally looked at it I absolutely thought it was something I could’ve pulled off. When/if I ever tear one enough to justify it I will go the sewing route for sure, it was seriously F N bomber.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Probably a good " your mom " joke in that post ^^

The thing with a sewing repair IS you have to know how to sew,

I have done literaly hundreds of permanent fixes to out door gear for money

without sewing anything no ductape either

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I used to cut up dryer anti-static sheets to back repairs with good results ... AKA Polish fibreglass
    Thanks for making me laugh out loud at work.

Aqua Seal would probably work. Also you could use your G Flex but only apply it in thin horizontal lines - this will probably make the skin mostly rigid laterally, but you'll still be able to roll it up/stuff it in your jacket.

edit: ah you got your answer already

Just wanted to follow up because if I don't now, never will.

I ended up using gflex on the hard plastic tip and aquaseal on the fabric (see picture above) Spread both out with a small wooden stirrer, put parchment paper above and weighted on floor. I have toured 2 days with the fix and everything seems to be holding up well.