Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Well maybe not stupid but oblivious , things can happen quickly as my teenager found out a few years back . We're 20ft from unloading with the bar up ,lift stops he starts looking around . The lift lurches forward chair swings back and he digs both tips in the incline ramp. He gets pulled off his chair and does a face plant on the platform . Aside from a little bloody nose he learned a lesson . The sign "Keep tips up" is for a real purpose .
    "It's only steep if you're backseat"

Lift Line Stupidity

the ski area I work at has a weird load on the main lift

you load it as it’s coming around so it’s still making the turn as you’re trying to sit

hilarity ensues

stupid fucking design

a detachable high speed six pack should never stop but there are so many loading wrecks it stops a lot
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

"skiing is more fun than standing in line."
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Ski or die

ski or die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    "skiing is more fun than standing in line."

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post

you load it as it’s coming around so it’s still making the turn as you’re trying to sit

hilarity ensues

stupid fucking design

a detachable high speed six pack should never stop but there are so many loading wrecks it stops a lot
    I rode a lift in Italy that unloaded as it went around the bullwheel at speed. Some interesting physics.

Palmer chair at tline loads that way.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Must be some good stories out there. What have you experienced that’s stupid or crazy?

I mostly avoid lift lines by skiing weekdays, off hours, fleeing to the far lifts, or skiing backcountry.

There comes a day like yesterday when the kids want to go on a weekend and not many lifts are open and everyone is there so there we are in a lift line.

I have no patience for the stupidity that ensues.

Ahead of us in the next line over is a mom and her two pre teen kids. 6 pack lift.

Fail 1:
    They wait for the three in the alternating line to go (they could have merged with them into six, making all of us behind keep moving forward), but no they stay behind.

Fail two,
    the two behind them see the threesome ahead and go her around to merge forward.

Fail three, we merge behind them and then the group that was behind US skates around her cluelessness to merge with another threesome in the next upcoming alternation point.

I cannot take it silently anymore and say “ hey please keep moving and merge forward!”

Her Moronity: “what?”

Me: “ keep moving and merging, you’re messing up the line”

Her; “well there are kids involved”

Me: “what does that have to do with it?”

Fail 4: She misses another merge with a group of three at the last alternation point

Me: “do you guys even want to go?”

Her: “fuck off!” (In front of her kids and mine)

Nice!

And yes, in retrospect I should have just split our group and gone around in front of clueless lady after her first fail, but WTF??

What should you do about this kind of shit? Just cut in front of them?

yes Mr and Ms Bundy !
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

nw_skier and I got into a lift line altercation before we knew each other / became good friends. He was wrong, I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by the_flying_v View Post
    nw_skier and I got into a lift line altercation before we knew each other / became good friends. He was wrong, I was right.
    Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Lol!
    Heh

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post

hilarity ensues

stupid fucking design

Ajax express is like this on the crown jewel.

No problems really.

Surely someone from the Canadian Rockies Thread has a story or two about the Summit Platter at Lake Louise. The only lift I've ever ridden that has a green, blue, black rating depending on conditions.

I remeber a kneetwerking unload. My girlfriend was afraid of hights. she would only open the safety bar above the safety net. So i have my skies already out and she forgot to open the bar. So i am riding the platform locked under with her waight ontop and getting pulled under the chair as my edges catch.... !!!!! A close call. Luckily the lifty pressed the red buttom and helped me untangle.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Surely someone from the Canadian Rockies Thread has a story or two about the Summit Platter at Lake Louise. The only lift I've ever ridden that has a green, blue, black rating depending on conditions.
    This same story has probably been told about most surface lifts that access the really goods.

1st time ever out west skiing was to Banff. 1st day was at LL, 10-15 cms overnight, excellent skiing and my mind is totally blown by the scale of the place. We get to the Platter, its crowded as hell, we queue up, watch another Jerry get trashed, the crowd goes wild and heckles the poor bastard. I look at my buddy, without another word we slip out the back and wander elsewhere. Spent a couple of days at SSV getting the hang of surface lifts and then return. The education was worth the wait.
    Last edited by Marmot or Fox; 12-10-2019 at 07:28 AM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

There's a poma at Fernie that runs along a fast running creek. Don't fall....
    yepper

Haha, good call. I've only skied there one day but it was definitely a black diamond rating that day and made for some good people watching.

at least summit at LL is only a 1 person lift but old maps say it was a t-bar back in the day? Riding a steep t-bar with another person is worse as the "inside" skis of both occupants inevitably jam against one another and it's only a matter of time before someone is going down.

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    at least summit at LL is only a 1 person lift but old maps say it was a t-bar back in the day? Riding a steep t-bar with another person is worse as the "inside" skis of both occupants inevitably jam against one another and it's only a matter of time before someone is going down.
    The old bear T-bar at Fernie was reasonably steep. I remember riding that with my dad when i was a kid. It always felt like the bar was halfway up my back....

I think they moved this one (or maybe it was a different T) to the cedar bowl, where it became the haul back.

Last year, while waiting in line, not really paying attention I was almost clobbered by a runaway snowboard. I didn't see it, but it hit the fencing right behind me. My girlfriend caught a glimpse of it and ducked in time.

Apparently two boarders were halfway up, fell, got tangled, and were being dragged.

One thought the only way to release herself was to take off her board.

It flew down the tracks and hit the liftee's shovel, lifting it to about head height when it crossed the lift line. Pretty terrifying.

The boarder's partner rode down to the lift to retrieve the lost board and sheepishly explained the situation. No harm at least.

Old bear t was on the right of the resort. Fun hill except for the sluff. Fukn beater move.
    yepper

I've seen a lot of ejections, but nothing catastrophic. I will say that an entire childhood spent in chairlifts trying to drop the snow from my skis on to skiers below, was repaid in full when a dude imitating a terrorist in a speedboat swooped along the platter and wrecked three of us with a glorious tidal wave of Alberta's finest crystals. The wave broke directly down my back. Well done, bandit. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    I've seen a lot of ejections, but nothing catastrophic. I will say that an entire childhood spent in chairlifts trying to drop the snow from my skis on to skiers below, was repaid in full when a dude imitating a terrorist in a speedboat swooped along the platter and wrecked three of us with a glorious tidal wave of Alberta's finest crystals. The wave broke directly down my back. Well done, bandit. Well done.
    That is one of the finer paragraphs to ever make it onto the TRG. And now I've got a new game to play on chairlift rides.