Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Local hill has a t-bar that's useful for accessing some minor stashes. It's a standard t-bar where 2 skiers can stand side by side. On an average day, the t-bar might have a 3-5 minute line.

I'm rounding a bit, but approximately 0% of the snowboarders double up on the T. Regardless of the line, each snowboarder goes up solo. Lifties don't call them out, possibly because lifties are also snowboarders.

What's the call on this? Bullshit? Or is riding a t-bar nuts to butts with your buddy too difficult?
    I've heard from a snowboarder that is generally pretty good about calling out stupidity and asshattery that, unless the snowboarders happen to be dating, it's a bit of a questionable move to try and put two snowboarders on the same T. I suspect it may be kinda like putting a passenger on a sportbike.

I imagine the failure rate is a lot higher when they double up and each failure probably costs more time than just letting them all load solo
    Local hill has a t-bar that's useful for accessing some minor stashes. It's a standard t-bar where 2 skiers can stand side by side. On an average day, the t-bar might have a 3-5 minute line.

I'm rounding a bit, but approximately 0% of the snowboarders double up on the T. Regardless of the line, each snowboarder goes up solo. Lifties don't call them out, possibly because lifties are also snowboarders.

What's the call on this? Bullshit? Or is riding a t-bar nuts to butts with your buddy too difficult?

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    I imagine the failure rate is a lot higher when they double up and each failure probably costs more time than just letting them all load solo
    This is probably true.

Still annoying that snowboarders get to make the line take twice as long just because their mode of snow sliding doesn't work with a t-bar.

Surprised by the lack of complaints about folks putting their gear on right where the lift line is forming....pretty consistent at practically every single midatlantic mountain.

There is no shortage of stupidity in the lift line for the padded seats on a powder Saturday

I invite you to witness it for yourself in mid-February

This is probably true.

Still annoying that snowboarders get to make the line take twice as long just because their mode of snow sliding doesn't work with a t-bar.
    Pretty much all lifts are designed for skiers over boarders. It's why their boards are always sitting on top of the skis and why they also try to spread out and not fill all the seats... because their gear is at a 45 degree angle to their feet when hanging/riding up.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

This is probably true.

Pretty much all lifts are designed for skiers over boarders. It's why their boards are always sitting on top of the skis and why they also try to spread out and not fill all the seats... because their gear is at a 45 degree angle to their feet when hanging/riding up.

Whenever I'm coming up to the bullwheel with a snowboarder, especially of the look like they are struggling/new I ask then which side they prefer and switch places if they say outside/inside is easier for them.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post

Whenever I'm coming up to the bullwheel with a snowboarder, especially of the look like they are struggling/new I ask then which side they prefer and switch places if they say outside/inside is easier for them.
    I've ridden lifts with plenty of snowboarders who are able to keep their boards off my shins and their backpacks out of my chest. And plenty who can't. The nice thing about snowboarders is that they don't have poles that they can stick under their thighs into my butt.

OTOH there were a couple of boarders who grabbed the bar on the chair we were about to load so that our chair would drag them into position. They brought the bar down and we took it in the back and were knocked down. What really pissed me off was that the lift ops let those bozos ride the lifts. Shoulda had their passes pulled for the day, at least.

I've also been knocked off the loading ramp by a group behind us loading on the chair we were waiting for.

I did once try be the fifth to load on a 4 pack--I thought it was a 6. Guy's wife got left behind. Hard to believe but he didn't say a word about my stupidity.

Name:  20191010_182733.png
Views: 991
Size:  214.0 KB
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I did once try be the fifth to load on a 4 pack--I thought it was a 6. Guy's wife got left behind. Hard to believe but he didn't say a word about my stupidity.
    never married?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Lift Line Stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I've heard from a snowboarder that is generally pretty good about calling out stupidity and asshattery that, unless the snowboarders happen to be dating, it's a bit of a questionable move to try and put two snowboarders on the same T. I suspect it may be kinda like putting a passenger on a sportbike.
    Or they can get over it and themselves. Is it close quarters? Yes. And? You won’t suddenly become gay by being close to another guy. NTTAWWT

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    The only lifts at the hill I ski is 2 tees. You either get better at riding them double or don’t ski/board there. There are no singles on a powder day - even on non-pow day people double up. Human interaction isn’t the end of the world, ya know? It can be pleasant to chat with people you either don’t know or haven’t seen in a while.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    At least he could have bought you a drink as a thank you.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    The only lifts at the hill I ski is 2 tees. You either get better at riding them double or don’t ski/board there. There are no singles on a powder day - even on non-pow day people double up. Human interaction isn’t the end of the world, ya know? It can be pleasant to chat with people you either don’t know or haven’t seen in a while.
    Surface lifts are awesome. I think my kid learned more about turning his ski on the rope tow and Tee then while skiing back down in his first season or two.

Elevated track on a surface lift. Fall and back to the bottom for you.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

The number of helpless people on Mammoths WROD who missed the no easy way down sign. I guess Im not surprised the rental shop was still handing out beginner rentals when there was no green down the only lift open.

Several years ago, waiting in a big line for fixed grip double chair. No maze, no singles line, just a big merge. I'm solo and looking for any single and about halfway through I spot some older woman who doesn't look to be with a group.
    Me: "Single?"
    Her: "No, I'm married."
    Me: Dumbfounded & speechless.
    Guess she thought I was hitting on her. Cause I just slay 'em with my single word pickup line. It's all in the delivery.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

So did you ryder.

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Several years ago, waiting in a big line for fixed grip double chair. No maze, no singles line, just a big merge. I'm solo and looking for any single and about halfway through I spot some older woman who doesn't look to be with a group.
    Me: "Single?"
    Her: "No, I'm married."
    Me: Dumbfounded & speechless.
    Guess she thought I was hitting on her. Cause I just slay 'em with my single word pickup line. It's all in the delivery.
    Try that line at the bar. Probably a pretty efficient way the separate the wheat from the chaff.

Best advice from this thread so far. Especially if its a ski town bar.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I'll play
    Mt Bachelor, Feb 2016(?) midweek. There's at least one ski club there for their annual trip - you can always tell by the scarfs they affix to helmet, leg, pole, etc.

It's a quad with free-for-all approach which is usually manageable midweek, but a little more complicated with the scarfed tourons. Got to on-deck point, noticed only two ladies on chair ahead and plenty of time to join them. So I slipped in with them, staying to the left armrest.

About 3 seconds before loading I feel a small person on my left throw a shoulder into my ribs and yell "I'm getting on".
    I stepped to my right and smile to the two ladies to my right.

Before my butt hit the bench, the safety bar hit me in the head. Then when the bar cleared my head, the vertical bar handle slammed the rest of the way down and pinched the inside of my thigh to the seat bench.

"Owww" I said
    "That's my space" the person on my left says. I look over to see a middle aged woman.

"Then.Lift.the.Fucking.Bar so I can move my leg" I replied slowly as I forced the bar up. Got my leg unpinched and adjusted my position.
    "You shouldn't be in my place" she reiterated

"Have you tried cannabis?" I asked. "It's legal in Oregon now. A few rips of a good indica mellows someone out right quick. Would you like a dispensary recommendation? I'd offer you some of my stash, but its a sativa and that's not a good choice for you."

I looked to the ladies on my right. "Where ya from?" I asked with a smile
    "Boston"
    "Uh huh..."

One of them apologized to me at the top. "She can be a little offputting at times"

I think the stories of people being d-bags when they think they are in the right are fucking hilarious.

Carry on... and thank you.

This thread reminds me of being trapped in a conversation about how my grandma tried to return some eggs at the grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    never married?
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    At least he could have bought you a drink as a thank you.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    This thread reminds me of being trapped in a conversation about how my grandma tried to return some eggs at the grocery store.
    Were they still in the shells?

We have a tbar to access the backcountry gate on blackcomb. Its fucking hilarious. Snowboarders falling, skiings trying to sit on the T and falling. Seems like since Epic started its gotten funnier and funnier (unless you are in a rush). If you snowboard and can't get two people on a tbar you should kill yourself.