Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

So I just responded to a neighborhood email re: recycling

One of the typical neighborhood email groups.
    One of our neighbors is particularly passionate about recycling. Extremely passionate.
    Today she posts that she has found a company that you can mail, yes mail...your #5 clam shell plastic containers to, after you wash/clean them.
    One neighbor responded that he didn’t think it made sense.
    She , of course, had a long response trying to rationalize it.
    I finally lost it, and after biting my tongue for the past year, I responded. I think my wife was horrified but I can’t take the insanity any longer and I don’t care what anyone thinks...mailing our trash isn’t sustainable.

I was nice but pointed out that giving the cash equivalent of the postage would more beneficial than mailing our trash.

Was I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Give her your crap and let her mail it for you. Win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    That’s what I was thinking. Start dumping all your plastic crap in her yard.

Or you could point out that after you mail your crap to whomever, it is getting shipped to China and dumped along the way...
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Fantastic idea..

I’m just waiting for the backlash against me..

I don’t give 2 shits, but should be interesting. I told my wife, 80% of the people were wanting/thinking what I said but are too scared too.,I just couldn’t take another fucking recycling email with out responding

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Post her address. We can send her a bunch of stuff COD.

I think the mistake was getting involved in some sort of neighborhood email list. Everything after that initial choice is just collateral damage.

Pretty sure I listened to a podcast where an economist said that it’s better for the environment to throw your plastic away.

Maybe call her out on the reduce part of reduce, reuse, recycle.

Is your neighbor hot ? Sounds like a great time to unsubscribe from that list and burn her house down fueled by plastic clam shells.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Pretty sure I listened to a podcast where an economist said that it’s better for the environment to throw your plastic away.

Maybe call her out on the reduce part of reduce, reuse, recycle.
    Reduce. Absolutely.

Pics of the neighbor? Or her sister/roommate. Preferably wearing nothing but a clamshell.

We need clam shot to form proper opinion.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

She wants to recycle the clam.
    watch out for snakes

just read and article this morning about how they burn plastic in indonisia to make tofu
    maybe just mail it directly to them?

I always like it when I'm at the dump and I see tons of recyclables getting dumped in the dump
    I should take a photo

recycling is one of those things that just feels good the amount of energy wasted cleaning handling and shipping somewhere amounts to nothing

There should be strong legislation limiting single use plastic containers.

Definitely the proper email response should be:

"I've heard Vagasil works great for cleaning clamshells."
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Re: recycling. Over recycling causes much of it to go the land fill. China stopped taking our trash ~18mo ago but US markets exist for glass, alu, and paper. Keep it clean and dont obsess.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    I think the mistake was getting involved in some sort of neighborhood email list. Everything after that initial choice is just collateral damage.
    This.

Landfills are just storage areas for future use, when the materials become scarce. OP, do you wear your apron will reading community emails?

Your first mistake was getting involved in a neighborhood e-mail group.
    I always try to keep space (ever since one of my more pointed e-mails was submitted to The NY Times for print by a deranged neighbor)
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Where I live it is becoming increasingly hard to recycle. We are limited to cardboard, newspaper, mixed paper and Plastic that are 1 & 2. No glass.

If I were president I would champion the development of a sustainable US based recycle industry that would create jobs and reduce the amount of refuse going to landfills but I know... that's just crazy talk.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

That's good talk
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

This reminds of the Seinfeld episode where Newman and Kramer want to drive to Michigan to return bottles for the deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Where I live it is becoming increasingly hard to recycle. We are limited to cardboard, newspaper, mixed paper and Plastic that are 1 & 2. No glass.

If I were president I would champion the development of a sustainable US based recycle industry that would create jobs and reduce the amount of refuse going to landfills but I know... that's just crazy talk.
    Lucky that where we live we can recycle nearly everything still for now. Even pizza boxes that are soiled with food and can't be recycled by paper companies go to our compost center. Plastic bags all go to stores. Any consumable plastic you'd get from a store. Glass, even though the city says it would make more sense to go to the landfill, is recycled because people want the service.

Alas some people are super stoked on recycling to the point of absurdity. My wife for one. I say let them be. I'm obsessed with skiing, wasting time on here, mostly with people I have never met and at times it is caustic and wasteful and downright stupid. We all have our thing. I can go on and on about this recycling thing with my wife but when it comes down to it I just throw shit away behind her back if I think it is going to be too much hassle or delay involved in 'proper recycling'. Sleeping dogs. Let them rest. Generally recycling is a good thing and that is good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post

KQ 2020!