Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,205

    50-50 ski for the Dolomites.

    My mom lives in Val Gardena and I typically visit once a year for 9-10 days. Right now those visits pretty much need to happen in late March. I travel with small kids, so hauling a bunch of skis doesn't work. I leave a couple pairs over there.

    Looking for ski advice since the skis I like for CO tend to be more specialized and don't make sense for what I do in Italy which includes:

    Skiing groomers with small children and septuagenarians.
    Lift assisted touring, typically to access fairly steep, narrow couloirs, but sometimes more open "freeride" type terrain.
    These activities frequently happen in the same day without going home to change skis.
    Once a trip I'll take a whole day to do a longer tour that may include some semi-technical climbing and steep skinning with lots of kick turns.

    I've been using some old Blizzard Bushwackers with Kingpins (which have been solid, fingers crossed...) and some old Lhasas if it snows a lot. The Bushwackers + Lhasas worked well when I was going in the winter and didn't have a kid who skied. But the last couple years I've wanted a mid-fat that is fun on piste and handles late-March mank when I leave the kids to ski with grandma and go do this:



    I'm looking for something 95-105mm underfoot that weighs 3.5-4.5 lbs. that:
    Needs to be fun enough on groomers.
    Needs to have decent float and stability at a 180ish length (kick turn, kick turn, kick turn).
    Needs to be fairly maneuverable in funky snow- no locked in tail.
    No full reverse camber- need a little pop for linking hop turns.

    Normally I wouldn't ask one ski to do all these things, so I've ignored all-rounder types. QST 99? Black Crows Navis? Head Kore 99? Other ideas? I'm not in a rush, but starting to look for deals.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    1,011
    QST seems like a good option. I haven't tried the 99, but I've been impressed with the versatility of my 106. They do well on firm, and surprisingly well in powder too.

    I have the 188 which is a bit much for couloir skiing, but makes wide open terrain really fun. I think the shorter size would be great for the Dolomites.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    733
    I think there is a good shop in Selva/Wolkenstein for rentals that would most likely let you swap out with little penalty. If not there is a very good shop in La Villa in the next valley over. Swapping out would be a pain given the distance, but for a one time trip.... They carry the Blizzard ZG 95, which while not a sleeper pick is pretty capable for the Dolomites. No reverse camber for steep or slick/iced up shady couloirs and will be fine for mellow groomers on the Sella. I would want more underfoot if they have more snow (so far they are off to a crazy good start) but otherwise, 95 is fine. Might be pretty chatter-y if you're skiing with friends. But shepherding kids and older parents, it will be fine. The tail will release fine too in couloirs.

    TL/DR I'd pick a ski for the couloirs as it'll perform fine for chasing kids/80 year olds on blue groomers.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,205
    Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    I think there is a good shop in Selva/Wolkenstein for rentals that would most likely let you swap out with little penalty. If not there is a very good shop in La Villa in the next valley over. Swapping out would be a pain given the distance, but for a one time trip.... They carry the Blizzard ZG 95, which while not a sleeper pick is pretty capable for the Dolomites. No reverse camber for steep or slick/iced up shady couloirs and will be fine for mellow groomers on the Sella. I would want more underfoot if they have more snow (so far they are off to a crazy good start) but otherwise, 95 is fine. Might be pretty chatter-y if you're skiing with friends. But shepherding kids and older parents, it will be fine. The tail will release fine too in couloirs.

    TL/DR I'd pick a ski for the couloirs as it'll perform fine for chasing kids/80 year olds on blue groomers.
    I've skied the Zero G 95's. Great skis. And I own and love the 85's and 108's. But the 95's are definitely lighter than I'm looking for this application. Most of the approaches/climbs I do in Italy are short compared to what I do at home so I don't mind the weight. I would consider more Zero G 108's if I found a cheap pair. Not that fun on groomers, but solid enough for skiing fast in variable snow, and the best couloir ski I've ever used.

    Also my 72 year old step dad still hauls ass. Skied Val di Mezdi with him a couple years ago and only waited for him on the traverse/hike. Here he is a few years back getting deep in some, uh, interesting clothing:
    Name:  joedeep (1).JPG
Views: 439
Size:  30.1 KB

    I need skis with a little beef so I can keep up!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I've skied the Zero G 95's. Great skis. And I own and love the 85's and 108's. But the 95's are definitely lighter than I'm looking for this application. Also my 72 year old step dad still hauls ass.
    I'd take the Zero G 105, quite a bit lighter than the 108 (even though 2cm longer) and a bit looser in the tail. No deals for a while, though. I'd put a Kingpin M-Werks or Tecton on it. Props to the 72 year old step dad.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Oberstdorf
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I'm looking for something 95-105mm underfoot that weighs 3.5-4.5 lbs. that:
    Needs to be fun enough on groomers.
    Needs to have decent float and stability at a 180ish length (kick turn, kick turn, kick turn).
    Needs to be fairly maneuverable in funky snow- no locked in tail.
    No full reverse camber- need a little pop for linking hop turns.
    Moment wildcat 108 tour in a 184 with either a shift or ATK r12. If you like tail rocker and donít want a locked in tail in the funk this is a great option.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,205
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I'd take the Zero G 105, quite a bit lighter than the 108 (even though 2cm longer) and a bit looser in the tail. No deals for a while, though. I'd put a Kingpin M-Werks or Tecton on it. Props to the 72 year old step dad.
    How sturdy is the 105 compared to the 108?

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    169
    If doing lift assisted touring I'd probably be prepared to haul a little more weight than the blizzards for better performance on the downhill. bentchetler 100, line sickday 104, mantra vwerks?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,618
    I ski steep couloirs in all conditions, powder to corn to firm on Katanas.
    Great skis

    Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,205
    Quote Originally Posted by gritter View Post
    If doing lift assisted touring I'd probably be prepared to haul a little more weight than the blizzards for better performance on the downhill. bentchetler 100, line sickday 104, mantra vwerks?
    Weird. The Bentchetler 100 isn't what I would expect it to be. Doesn't look jibby at all. Very close to what I'm looking for. Sick day is on the list. Anybody ski either of those?

    Vwerks Mantra is probably too much $$$$.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,205
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I ski steep couloirs in all conditions, powder to corn to firm on Katanas.
    Great skis

    Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk
    Awesome skis. But wider than I want and reverse camber. There will be kick turns and steep sidehilling

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,618
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Awesome skis. But wider than I want and reverse camber. There will be kick turns and steep sidehilling
    Not really an issue. The reverse camber is really minimal.
    The width when you side Hill is there but i tend to use ski crampons so it's not a big deal.

    But the skiing!

    Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,205
    I hear you. But it's just beyond what I'm willing to put up with. Plus I grew up skiing powder in tight east coast trees on skinny skis. It taught me how to load up my skis' tails to snap off quick turns without using much energy. I use this same technique for skiing narrow steeps, which are plentiful in the Dolomites. Doesn't work well without a little camber.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    No longer Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,329
    Iíve got a pair of bentchetler 100s in 180cm. Bought them for spring touring and steeps/couloir type stuff. Pretty good do it all ski, stable enough at speed but it really likes to make lots of short radius turns. Performed the best in corn. Theyíd get hung up in deeper snow.

    Initially mounted them on the line, but moved them back a lot (I think around -4cm of recommended, donít remember exactly). Lots of tail on those skis if mounted on recommended - the tails felt surprisingly locked in skiing steeps and alpine styrofoam. They skied much better mounted back for my style, the terrain and type of snow I was skiing. The edges came super sharp and definitely need a detune, unless youíre planning on skiing bulletproof ice.

    Iím 5í10Ē, 185lbs and if I were to buy them again Iíd go up in size. Iím considering selling mine if youíre interested!

    Name:  IMG_3269.JPG
Views: 366
Size:  143.9 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5165.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	240.1 KB 
ID:	302574

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2
    Hi,

    sorry for my bad english but I only like to tell you that there is a shop in Germany where they sold the Zero 108 for 300 EUR.
    AndI think it shouldn`t be to expensiv shipping the ski to Italy.

    The pic is Canale Joel?

    Best regards
    Volker

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    305
    I could see a pair of Commander 98 with shifts pretty much check all your boxes, no?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NWCT
    Posts
    1,974
    Pretty sure youíve owned a pair or two before and really liked them - Praxis BC. Think thereís a pair of 180s in gear swap right now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nobby View Post
    Hi,

    sorry for my bad english but I only like to tell you that there is a shop in Germany where they sold the Zero 108 for 300 EUR.
    AndI think it shouldn`t be to expensiv shipping the ski to Italy.

    The pic is Canale Joel?

    Best regards
    Volker
    What the name of the shop? And yes, that's Joel.


    Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    I could see a pair of Commander 98 with shifts pretty much check all your boxes, no?
    Yup. Commanders would probably work well. I doubt I can get a new pair cheap. But a used pair might fit the bill

    Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    Pretty sure youíve owned a pair or two before and really liked them - Praxis BC. Think thereís a pair of 180s in gear swap right now.
    Excellent soft snow skis, from tight trees to nasty crusts. They float and smear like skis 10mm wider. But I think the tails might let go too easily on groomers for this application.

    Thanks for the ideas, all. This is helpful for getting to know some skis I'd ignore. Looks like I'll have some decent options, so I can go after what's cheap.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,205
    Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    I’m considering selling mine if you’re interested!
    I might be, but I just had a large unexpected car bill, and won't need these soon. Probably won't buy for a bit unless I find a smokin deal.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    34
    If you have a chance to try the BD Route 95's they might be worth considering. I demoed them inbounds on east coast groomers and found them to be much sturdier than you would expect.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    How sturdy is the 105 compared to the 108?
    No idea. I only got one day on them before blowing my knee out in April.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    5,599
    I really like the Faction Prime 2.0

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I really like the Faction Prime 2.0
    Good shout. https://uk.factionskis.com/collectio...15333743198243

    The Whitedot Altum 104 is also spot on for your requirements. https://www.whitedotskis.com/collect...ucts/altum-104

    And shipping them to Val Gardena is no problem. I can put any binding on them or I could just drill them for your Kingpins and you just swap the bindings over. Ignore the prices on the Faction/Whitedot websites as I can do Mags rates!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2
    Homepage of the shop is sport65.de in english too.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    698
    I've got 2018 ZG108 178cm w/ Vipec blacks mounted for 307mm I'm looking to sell

    I've skied the regular BC Navis and liked it a lot; I think it would check your boxes. Not the burliest, dampest crud busting machine, but it rips groomers and was nice and snappy hopping around the steeps here at Highlands.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •