Accessible expert terrain at Zermatt + partner areas?

Is it Zerflatt or what?

I'm considering trying to tack on 5 days of skiing at Zermatt/cervinia when I'm in Europe this winter since it is on the Ikon pass, but would really only spend the money if it had good expert terrain. What's it like out there? Are there steep (45 deg. plus) runs, chutes, cliffs the like that are consistently skiable without a hiring a guide?

Any tips would be much appreciate, if the snow is too inconsistent or the terrain not great I'll just save the money and try to score a long weekend in Jackson instead.

Check out your lodging and food costs there before you decide it's a good deal even with a paid for lift ticket.
    http://www.mt-lodge.com will be less expensive with masses of good terrain, even if you buy a full day $85 pass.

If you have the 5 days, don't skip skiing Yurp.

(edit, sorry. booze and that)
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Thanks! Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    If you have the 5 days, don't ski skiing Yurp.
    umm?

phumbled the phrase.
    LeoK skis there some I think, ping him about Zerm@

We passed through there once and I didn't see much in the way of much good steep skiing.
    Verbier (expensive), Engelberg ($moderate+), Davos/Kloster ($moderate +), Andermatt/SkiArena/Disentis ($moderate-) each have lots of great skiing.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Maybe a day or 2 at zermatt vs 5?
    It's a neat little town (no cars)
    and we always enjoy skiing (like pizza and making whoopie) and seeing a classic place in person is always fun. but there are other more fun places with more of your criteria
    when are you going?

also for something fun and different you could always do a few nights on the haute route as there are jumping off points zermatt
    skid luxury

Accessible expert terrain at Zermatt + partner areas?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Check out your lodging and food costs there before you decide it's a good deal even with a paid for lift ticket.
    http://www.mt-lodge.com will be less expensive with masses of good terrain, even if you buy a full day $85 pass.

If you have the 5 days, don't skip skiing Yurp.

(edit, sorry. booze and that)
    I’ll second this. I’m a total euro noob but after staying at Mt.Lodge and shredding pow at St. Moritz, Disentis and Andermatt, for 9 days straight, i could camp at Mt. Lodge for 2 months of the winter for the rest of my life and have all the gnar i could wish for.

Dear Mr. Ikon. Coming from murica for Zermatt you will find more "expert terrain" than you want. The stuff under the hotälli would have 15 named black diamond runs in the land of the free. Or make that 45 because they are three times as long.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Dear Mr. Ikon. Coming from murica for Zermatt you will find more "expert terrain" than you want. The stuff under the hotälli would have 15 named black diamond runs in the land of the free. Or make that 45 because they are three times as long.

Upper, mid, and lower
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Zermatt is gorgeous. Maybe the most beautiful ski resort in the world. It is damn expensive and rather posh. Not a Maggot "scene" at all. Think lots of swiss watch ads, random lingerie ads, and people drinking champagne at old wooden huts for lunch.

That said, there is good terrain. Some of it requires a guide to deal with glaciers, crevaces, etc. As said above, Hohtalli and the neighboring Stockhorn areas have a ton of fun stuff. Stockhorn requires quite a bit base to be skiable. Zermatt doesn't get a ton of snow and does get wind, but it's super high by Alp standards so what it gets stays good. The wind can giveth or taketh away. It's huge since it has 3 areas in Zermatt + Cervinia.

It's an experience. It's not the hard core JH scene. It's not the small, cheaper, more charming little Euro scene, but it does have the Matterhorn staring at you, it's surrounded by HUGE peaks and glaciers unlike anything in the lower 48. You will spend $$$ on food and likely lodging although I have gotten some reasonable accommodation with some hunting.

Totally agree, if your in Yurp, just go! There or somewhere else because skiing in the Alps rules. We are toying with flying to Yurp next week on miles because they are getting pounded and we have the ribbon of death here (mammoth)... Go somewhere!
    He who has the most fun wins!

I'm planning to ski in Euroland mid March. Does lodging in Zermatt need to be booked way in advance for that time or will we be able to book last minute (say a week an advance)?

No holidays = no problem.

It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by bennerlur View Post
    Is it Zerflatt or what?

I'm considering trying to tack on 5 days of skiing at Zermatt/cervinia when I'm in Europe this winter since it is on the Ikon pass, but would really only spend the money if it had good expert terrain. What's it like out there? Are there steep (45 deg. plus) runs, chutes, cliffs the like that are consistently skiable without a hiring a guide?

Any tips would be much appreciate, if the snow is too inconsistent or the terrain not great I'll just save the money and try to score a long weekend in Jackson instead.
    If you’ve not skied in the Alps before this sounds like too good an opportunity to pass up. As above, Zermatt with the Matterhorn towering above it is a unique place, with great skiing and more. If you’re really into steeps, fly out of Geneva and fit in a day in Verbier and Chamonix on your way back from Zermatt.

Ps if you’re fit and equipped there is also the option of following the last day of the Haute Route from Cabane des Vignettes to Zermatt. It is stunning! From Arolla at 1800m you climb up to the Vignettes at circa 3200m with optional ascent of Pigne d’Arolla at 3700m and then onto Zermatt the next day. Crossing through the towering séracs of the Stockji glacier is something everyone should experience

Last edited by bobinch; 11-17-2019 at 06:15 PM.

This thread reaffirmed my trip booked for January 2020.