sick deal PSA: Reynolds/i9 wheels

Go-Ride in SLC were running a good deal on Reynolds TR wheels this summer but this is better.

Blacklabel Enduro 28i with i9 torch hubs, Sapim C-Xray spokes.

29- 1750g: $1200

27.5- 1660g: $900

These wheels on Reynold's site.

I've put 1200 miles on the Blacklabel wides and they've been really good. Smashed them on lots of rocks and they take a beating!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Good price if you're a fan of i9 hubs... I've seen enough of them blow up to take a pass..

Blow Up? Can you Elaborate? I’ve only had one friend have a problem with their bearings and that was years ago. And he’s the friend who breaks everything.
    That said, I’m rocking DT on every bike now.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Ive seen at LEAST 6 i9 hubs blow bearings. In fact today my buddies i9 was popping on climbs when he hammered on it. They are overpriced junk in my opinion. Take one apart and look at how small the bearings are. They are beautiful with fancy colors though lol. DT's seem to hold up pretty good, I just don't like the engagement (the upgrade makes the gear./weaker). I haven't seen many blow up though; just once. If you're going to spend $1200 on wheels, you might as well get Kings. The cost difference between them and i9 is very small. There isn't anything like a King.

This includes Hydra. Those ones lasted about 4 months.
    Last edited by Pauldotcom; 12-01-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Yeah I’ve heard/seen enough issues with I9 that I stayed well away from their hubs. However I thought Hydra was supposed to address their issues. I9 posted this up on the the discussion below the Pinkbike review:

Hydra system does allow a small amount of eccentric rotation accommodated by flex. However, the amount of rotation is very small and that rotation essentially stops once the third pawl engages. The load is fully supported by the three pawls at this point and the materials in the drive ring, pawls, and FH body are not anywhere close to their yield point. In a traditional 3 pawl or 6 pawl phased MTB freehub, if you have three pawls engaged at the same time the load on the system is neutral. However, since there is constantly flex being introduced into the system when you are riding, it is fairly common for only a single pawl to engage in a symmetrical system. When this happens the FH is subject to large uncontrolled eccentric rotation which can cause premature bearing wear or in extreme cases, material deformation to the FH body. Our Torch MTN system was built to withstand these loads by utilizing an oversized drivering to reduce peak cantilever loads and a double row inner FH bearing with a higher load rating than most hubs on the market. However, the Hydra system eliminates these extreme stresses since the continuously phased pawls always allow the two trailing pawls to back up the initial pawl that has engaged limiting the system to a small amount of controlled flex.

A buddy of mine had some NOX wheels with Hydras in them.. $1800.. They are now for sale after 4 months because of multiple issues. BTW - he is about 150lbs on a SS.

On the other hand... my buddy picked up a pair of WeAreOne Insiders with Hope hubs on their black friday sale for $879 shipped. I have a pair of their Agents and they are immaculate after nearly a year (despite rim strikes hard enough to destroy the tape).

Those carbon wheels? If so, nice deal. I don't have much experience with Hope hubs.