These bindings done?

----in before Marker's suck, and I should toss them---

These are pre EPF Tour 12's and noticed that on both right side toe wings have this chunk taken out. Pictures are of the worse side with a quarter for scale since I can't find my small ruler.

Should these things be thrown away for a legitimate safety issue?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4532.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	492.7 KB 
ID:	302366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4531.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	550.2 KB 
ID:	302367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4530.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	453.1 KB 
ID:	302368

Figured I'd get a read here before bothering a local shop or Marker
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Do those have the toe wing rollers?

If not, I live dangerously, send them to me for proper disposal, I'll pay postage and some beer money.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 11-15-2019 at 12:57 AM.

pre epf is 2010/2011?
    how long does one expect bindings to last?

Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    pre epf is 2010/2011?
    how long does one expect bindings to last?
    I ski old Salomon dating back to 977 era, whenever that was... 1990?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I ski old Salomon dating back to 977 era, whenever that was... 1990?
    same here and many different models. 957, 977, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Do those have the toe wing rollers?

If not, I live dangerously, send them to me for proper disposal, I'll pay postage and some beer money.
    Yeah they do. And the model is still on the manufactured approved side of indemnified bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4532.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	492.7 KB 
ID:	302366
    I wouldn't ski those. It looks to me like there is a crack, on the top/middle part of that wing. If the wing blows apart along that seam, I think you'll be fukt (possibly severely, depending on what situation you're in when it goes).

Or maybe that's just a scratch. But I still wouldn't ski them, even with just the current, missing chunk - bindings are too important to your well-being

I had a pair of Marker Comp 14.0s on some WC GS race skis...went through two pairs (warranted the 1st) where on all 4 bindings the plastic heel cups cracked on both sides at the point where they made the most contact with the boot. Seems like either they use less durable materials. Never had any issues with my Looks or Tyrolias. I wound up getting rid the Markers because I didn't want to risk being in the middle of a 50mph+ turn and having my heel release.

Since it is both sides, I don't know that I'd take the chance. Marker was good about fixing/replacing the bindings and luckily they were mounted on a pre-drilled plate versus having to re-drill a ski. At a minimum, I'd send it in for warranty or repair.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    I wouldn't ski those. It looks to me like there is a crack, on the top/middle part of that wing. If the wing blows apart along that seam, I think you'll be fukt (possibly severely, depending on what situation you're in when it goes).

Or maybe that's just a scratch. But I still wouldn't ski them, even with just the current, missing chunk - bindings are too important to your well-being
    Yeah that's just a scratch not a crack, but I'm still hesitant considering it's on both. The other side is about 1/3 as much as this photo

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Interested to know what your boot looks like, and what boot you’re in. Guessing it’s 9523 by the position of your afd. And if your afd height and forward pressure are adjusted properly.

I wouldn’t expect catastrophic failure, it looks (fairly) smooth. But it seems like you would be prone to prerelease in a system that already has pretty limited elastic travel.

Friends don't let friends ski hard on crappy bindings.
    (Remember that time Huckasoreass skied on a Salomon Z-toe, because he didn't know? Well, IMO his friends & the community let him down by not stopping him in advance.)

That Tour 12 binding is the touring version of the "Squire" design. I have nothing against the Griffon, Jester, & Jester Pro designs---but I say the Squire design is NOT Maggot-worthy. I'm not talking about the DIN=12 spring---I'm saying the build is like a cheapo plasticky happy meal/crackerjack toy prize. Sure, apparently it works fine for lightweight Maggettes & Groms, but my opinion is that adult male Maggots should NOT be on these (...unless you ski with lower-impact like a lightweight Maggette or Grom).

So:
    1) Do not retire it.
    2) Fix the toe wings by sculpting & filing JB Stick (a.k.a. JB SteelStik Epoxy Putty Stick, or whatever the new product name is). And be careful not to lock up the spinning roller thingies in that area.
    3) Mount the repaired binding for your lightweight, low-impact friend or daughter or whatever.
    4) Or, if you want to keep using the repaired binding yourself, then I hope you are small and ski like a lightweight, low-impact Maggette or Grom.
    5) Do not buy new cheapo plasticky bindings again.

Just trying to help.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

The first generation of the Tour series (with toe rollers) was notoriously shitty, the toe piece plastic deforms and slowly rotates forward due to forward pressure from the heel. The later versions (without rollers) are decent though.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Will start looking for a pair of regular, better, bindings to replace these (since I bought these Tours attached to Enforcers )

I'm no expert on this binding (ok, I don't know anything about it at all) but if the plastic has gotten brittle with age isn't it likely that a wing will break off altogether? This is not wear of an otherwise sound piece--it's failure of the plastic.