Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Only true commercial ranges have pilots and for this reason, among others, they're generally not covered by home insurance policies. I've done a LOT of research, as I'd like to have one very much (I'd just disable the pilots and hand-light with a wand), and I have NEVER been able to get a straight answer about insurability of a true comm'l range in a residential application.

I've asked a lot of people including brokers and it's always an ambiguous answer which basically means, "don't ask, don't tell, and hope no one figures it out if your house burns down". I've yet to get comfortable with that notion, though I have seen them in many homes over the years.

Tell yer pal to disable the pilots if it's costing that much. Unless he has a commercial sprinkler setup it's probably a little dangerous to have them running all the time. The ranges we're talking about use piezo ignitors so no pilot issues.
    Any stove or furnace I have ever seen that uses a pilot light also has a senor that detects heat, if there is no heat the gas shuts off

Obscene gas bills from just running a gas cook stove pilot light was just something buddy mentioned , he could porbably turn off the gas completely when he does the long holidays OTOH he has lots of money, he can afford it AND the stove came with the house

I've seen media posts against gas stove's of any kind because of the green house gases
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Any stove or furnace I have ever seen that uses a pilot light also has a senor that detects heat, if there is no heat the gas shuts off

Obscene gas bills from just running a gas cook stove pilot light was just something buddy mentioned , he could porbably turn off the gas completely when he does the long holidays OTOH he has lots of money, he can afford it AND the stove came with the house

I've seen media posts against gas stove's of any kind because of the green house gases

I suppose that given how much of BC has already been ruined by the construction of hydroelectric dams, it makes sense to encourage people to use all that electricity.

Fuck those Eastern Washington farmers too, free the Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The oven temp probe tells me that the temp variation in the oven (electric oven Thermador) is surprisingly wide, much wider than the smoker temp variation I obsess over.
    I marvel at the ability of the pit controller to keep the egg at a stable temp for long periods. I've used the maverick to check the pit controller and, once the internal temp was stable, it wouldn't vary 5* in 12+ hours as long as the lid wasn't opened.

Correct my if I'm wrong, but ain't no oven doing that.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

The 1930's gravity furnace in the basement had no thermocouple on the pilot when we bought the house. Fortunately the inspector picked it up and we had one installed. We still have the asbestos covered furnace and ducts. It's quiet, keeps the house warm, and while a new furnace would certainly be more efficient when you figure in the cost of asbestos removal I don't think the savings will pay off the cost in our lifetimes.

Update: went with the dual fuel LG slide in with a center oval burner. Super happy with it so far. The high heat burner kicks ass. The oval burner works well with our large Dutch oven, large flat bottom wok, skillet, etc... Huge improvement from our budget electrical unit before. Only challenge is getting between the knobs to clean it.

Got an amazing deal on Costco Black Friday. The contractor Costco hired for delivery was terrible though...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Dual fuel? It's electric and gas? huh.

Great, just start planning on its replacement now so you will be ready in a couple of years when it takes a shit. Most modern stoves are shit.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

#bluestar
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.