Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Kitchen Range Reccos

There has been some discussions in other threads but this kinda deserves its own thread...

Ran gas under the house to the kitchen with the intent of upgrading my $300 Samsung electric piece of shit to something nice.

Requirements:
    - Gas or dual fuel
    - single oven with storage drawer
    - slide in (no back panel)
    - Under $2000.

Preferences
    - I like the oval 5th center burner. Anyone have one and actually use it? I have a big paella pan that might work better on a large oval burner.

What do you guys like?

I’m liking some options from LG and Kitchenaid

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

This has been covered. The right answer is Blue Star.

Starts here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...64#post5806264
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

If the answer starts at twice his price limit is it really the right answer?

I really liked the Bosch range we had in our old house. Good simmer capability, and the oven was great. Heated fast and held a temp better than anything I've used. At retail they're a little over your budget, but they occasionally go on sale.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    There has been some discussions in other threads but this kinda deserves its own thread...

Ran gas under the house to the kitchen with the intent of upgrading my $300 Samsung electric piece of shit to something nice.

Requirements:
    - Gas or dual fuel
    - single oven with storage drawer
    - slide in (no back panel)
    - Under $2000.

Preferences
    - I like the oval 5th center burner. Anyone have one and actually use it? I have a big paella pan that might work better on a large oval burner.

What do you guys like?

I’m liking some options from LG and Kitchenaid

LG sucks.

I went Frigidaire professional. We like.

Go induction and don't look back. So fast (much faster than gas or old-fashioned electric), perfect simmer, flexible burners on many (can link two together for that paella pan). Bosch makes a nice one in your price range. Requires some adjustments on pans but your cast iron will work fine.

I'm prejudiced against gas because of a horrible accident in my neighborhood when I was a kid but the fact is gas is burny and can light shit on fire and induction never will. I know you invested in a gas line but that money's already spent either way.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Go induction and don't look back.
    I'm inclined to go this direction when/if my current electric range goes tango uniform.

I had a Kenmore that fits the bill perfectly. Long sectional burner on the left side which can be used as 2 individual burners or one long continuous ones that fits a girdle, I used it pretty often . Convection oven, large storage underneath. I think I paid $1200 five years ago, see here for the equivalent more recent model.
    The worst thing to leave behind when I moved into my now wife's house was this range. She has an electrical POS that has killed my interest in cooking, it suck SO MUCH.

It's definitely the way to go imo. Especially so if there's kids in the house.

Yeah, if there's any flexibility on the gas requirement, I completely agree with ice. Like I said in the other thread, induction has some benefits, easy cleaning being a huge one.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I'm inclined to go this direction when/if my current electric range goes tango uniform.
    I picked up a Samsung induction, absolutely love it... super easy to clean, no hazing in the glass and is super fast, heating and cooling.
    I haven't been able to find a good wok however and I've tried a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    I picked up a Samsung induction, absolutely love it... super easy to clean, no hazing in the glass and is super fast, heating and cooling.
    I haven't been able to find a good wok however and I've tried a few.
    Hmmm... interesting.

Anyone find a solution to the induction/wok issue?

I'm thinking the same thing about switching from the glass top electric to gas. I checked out the induction but that wold require replacing all of our cookware except for my cast iron pan.
    Subscribed...
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    I'm thinking the same thing about switching from the glass top electric to gas. I checked out the induction but that wold require replacing all of our cookware except for my cast iron pan.
    Subscribed...
    Aluminum or copper?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It's definitely the way to go imo. Especially so if there's kids in the house.
    One of the problems with my original POS Wolf was that when lighting the oven the ignitor would take too long to fire. When it did the fucking door would blow open HARD. Kids were little then and damn near hit one of them once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Something in my monkey brain really likes that blue flame. Gas is a requirement.

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Kitchen Range Reccos

We spec a lot of appliances.

First, don’t do gas for the oven. Let me know if you want more detail on that.

For the cooktop, gas or induction only. Our clients with induction typically love it. Requires new pans and definitely has a substantial learning curve if you know how to cook. I still prefer gas, but not by much. I feel like you can simmer and sear better with gas.

My two favorite ovens to spec right now are Samsung and LG. We personally have the Samsung dual fuel dual oven. 5 burner top. My wife never uses the center burner because she uses a round cast iron pan for things like pancakes. She wishes it only had 4 burners and that they each had more space around them. I very much like the center burner and use one of those long thin cast skillets for pancakes on the center.

Ask any questions that come to mind. I’m happy to go into as much detail and explanation as you need.

Induction is great for home use. I think Blue Star is overpriced for what it is.

I love my jenn air. I wanted the downdraft because my old house doesn't allow for ducting without major mods. 30" slide in, oven fan, programmable cook and hold settings, dual fuel. I bought it used for $200. All parts can be easily replaced.

Not really serious but here's some cheap gas options and 30k BTU per burner for comparison. They're not insulated but that can be worked around with spacing and material. You better have venting for 30k btu.

most backslash slide off, if not just sawzall it.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/coo...u/351S24L.html

or go big - https://www.webstaurantstore.com/coo...u/351S60N.html

there's your storage cabinet, just don't use the 2nd oven

then for convection add this - https://www.ebay.com/p/1004553795?iid=183555421147

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Hmmm... interesting.

Anyone find a solution to the induction/wok issue?
    https://www.amazon.com/King-Kooker-2...=fsclp_pl_dp_4

You make a strong argument.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    We spec a lot of appliances.

First, don’t do gas for the oven. Let me know if you want more detail on that.
    The reasons I have heard for the above are:
    - better temp control
    - true convection
    - better cleaning

Any other reasons?

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Oh fer cryin out people. The one with bigger tits. Duh.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    The reasons I have heard for the above are:
    - better temp control
    - true convection
    - better cleaning

Any other reasons?

Others:

Adds humidity to the environment (electrical doesn't, which is usually better for most thing people cook)
    More even heat distribution
    Lower frequency of failure

Our Samsung range is excellent. Our Samsung fridge is not.

We recently installed a Samsung all gas. Ours is freestanding, has a warming drawer, which we use for storage as well, has the oval center burner which I do use, although I'm not sure it's any better than using front and back burners on one large griddle. Ours has a 20K BTU burner that has two separate gas rings so it can be turned down pretty low. It has a simmer burner, another high heat burner (18K I think), and a mid heat burner. There are a lot of different options for the upper end Samsungs and I'm sure there is a model that will work for you. They should be well under 2K. Also, different models may be available on Samsung's site and through various retailers.

We had a Thermador duel fuel because of the self cleaning feature but the Samsung also has self cleaning, which we haven't used yet. My only complaints are that the oven features (warming drawer, proofing setting for bread, etc etc) are complicated enough that we have to keep the manual handy, but we're old and the stove is new. The other complaint is that the stainless is only on the front. I painted the exposed side with stainless steel paint and it came out very well.

The Samsung was the top rated "non professional" brand per CR. (A friend of ours has I think a Viking, which blew up.) CR thinks the upper end mass market models are as good as the professional style stoves.