Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    The NYT weighs in. Not much new here. The most interesting thing is the suggestion that this might in fact kill the cannonball run because these covid19 runs will be unobtainium once things get back to the new normal. So maybe a silver lining to these douchebags running 26's during a pandemic lock down.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/u...imes&smtyp=cur
    Last edited by uglymoney; 04-12-2020 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Exactly. And for those who think 100+ mph is too crazy, drive through West Texas, New Mexico, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, etc. and you'll quickly see why many of us crave the Autobahn rules. I've made so many trans-US treks that our speed limits are just so soul crushing to me. ESPECIALLY all the roads in New Mexico that are straight as far as the eye can see, flat, hundreds of miles, 65 mph...
    This past summer, I passed a cop doing well over double the speed limit on one of those 65mph straight roads in NM. I kept it pinned though, and never saw him again, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    So the guys screaming for less government and more personal responsibility think kids pinning it across Merica in a preowned Audi is about expressing and celebrating your freedom?

Till one of these guys blows up that Sienna full of white kids. Then we get cameras everywhere taking our pictures and more speed cops sitting by the road and less freedom.

Thanks douchebags. You guys who think this is great know that is going to happen bigly at some point especially when every rich kid can buy an off the shelf autobahn ready sedan with hundreds of ponies.

Sure, some of the spun YouTube content has been interesting to watch but is it worth it? Hashtag wisely seems to apply. It'd be better with a shoot shovel and shut up approach but these guys all end up beating their chests in public. It is all too accessible now to Joe Douche.

Like the Car and Driver article states 1971 was a different time. Kids couldn't buy an Audi that can do 160 mph for hours at a time with fuel bladders ordered from Overtons. The double nickle speed limit travesty was yet to infect our nation's highways and byways. Speed limits were reasonable and often pliable. I remember my dad talking about our old BMW 1600 4 speed. It would do 104 flat out, but it could do it for hours without blowing up and it actually had the brakes to stop and the suspension to handle twisties. That wasn't the norm in the late sixties early seventies.

Give me an electric car cannonball where speed and power draw have to be managed. Something unique. Having driven coast to coast myself many times my interest lies in sending the less traveled routes. We took highway 20 home from Wyoming last month instead of I80 when this lock down started. Some gravel was involved. Google map adventures can be super cool. Speed cops in every single fucking town. It was amazing.
    Get off my lawn.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    This past summer, I passed a cop doing well over double the speed limit on one of those 65mph straight roads in NM. I kept it pinned though, and never saw him again, thankfully.
    Ha! Yeah that could have been messy. What were you driving?

Whether or not you think this run is cool/the right time for it, I think we can all agree that a Smokey & the Bandit-type run of Masks/Respirators through the FEMA-confiscation gauntlet from 3M to wherever needed would definitely be feel-good news.

Id feel pretty good about my chances in this. Lay the seats down and get some custom tanks fit in the back. Fill up on the move will be the game changer.
    2019 M5 Competition / 617hp Twin Turbo V8 / 2WD and 4WD
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Ha! Yeah that could have been messy. What were you driving?
    Out on some stretches there is NOTHING around, it's flat, no turns, 4 lanes wide, zero cars for miles, thus the risk is minimal if you have a car and tires that are halfway decent. Doing 100+ mph feels like nothing in some of those places.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Seems to me this most recent run was probably the "safest".

Cars are also much safer and much more capable of handling high speeds now.

It probably was the safest, it just seemed pretty fuckin tacky. Tone deaf as a motherfucker.

Isn't it tacky and tone deaf no matter when it's done?

I would say that in the middle of a pandemic is probably slightly worse than usual.

Out on some stretches there is NOTHING around, it's flat, no turns, 4 lanes wide, zero cars for miles, thus the risk is minimal if you have a car and tires that are halfway decent. Doing 100+ mph feels like nothing in some of those places.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Get off my lawn.
    Whatevers. I cruise at 85 mph where it is legal and l did 100 to 105 mph with a rack of skis on the roof across Montana a couple of times with my 5 speed SHO back when the speed limit was safe and prudent until the sun went down which was always a major buzzkill. I'd have gone faster because I was twentiesh and invincible and selfish but my girlfriend would have thrown a gasket and holy shit the fuel burn at those speeds with stuff on the roof is unreal. You aren't averaging 100ish mph on a cannonball run without hitting speeds that are legit unsafe on public highways. 150 mph at every opportunity is a way different ballgame from 100 mph on a lonely stretch of road uninhabited by lumbering trucks and Siennas. I'll flash my lights at you if I see a speed cop and pull out of the passing lane if you flash your lights at me Euro style...I promise...so go back to hating on Prius owners...okay we have one of those also so carry on.

As Iceman said, and I said, tone deaf and lame, and the irrelevance of the accomplishment doesn't even seem lost on the people who came before these opportunistic blood dopers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Whatevers. I cruise at 85 mph where it is legal and l did 100 to 105 mph with a rack of skis on the roof across Montana a couple of times with my 5 speed SHO back when the speed limit was safe and prudent until the sun went down which was always a major buzzkill. I'd have gone faster because I was twentiesh and invincible and selfish but my girlfriend would have thrown a gasket and holy shit the fuel burn at those speeds with stuff on the roof is unreal. You aren't averaging 100ish mph on a cannonball run without hitting speeds that are legit unsafe on public highways. 150 mph at every opportunity is a way different ballgame from 100 mph on a lonely stretch of road uninhabited by lumbering trucks and Siennas. I'll flash my lights at you if I see a speed cop and pull out of the passing lane if you flash your lights at me Euro style...I promise...so go back to hating on Prius owners...okay we have one of those also so carry on.

As Iceman said, and I said, tone deaf and lame, and the irrelevance of the accomplishment doesn't even seem lost on the people who came before these opportunistic blood dopers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Tone deaf and lame maybe. They also chose the safest time to complete the run. Fact.

Its ridiculous to think that other emergencies were not happening during the previous runs. The roads were also more crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Id feel pretty good about my chances in this. Lay the seats down and get some custom tanks fit in the back. Fill up on the move will be the game changer.
    2019 M5 Competition / 617hp Twin Turbo V8 / 2WD and 4WD
    I'd make a run in a CTS V Wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I'd make a run in a CTS V Wagon.
    That's the PERFECT car for it IMO and would likely be my own steed of choice. Unless you hit snowy or rainy weather that is. Then the Audi might be better. What about doing it in an RS6 Avant?

That's the PERFECT car for it IMO and would likely be my own steed of choice. Unless you hit snowy or rainy weather that is. Then the Audi might be better. What about doing it in an RS6 Avant?
    I'm a cheep bastard. You can buy like four of the caddy wagons for the price of the audi. Team Chapter 7 FTW!

If you hit any kind of rain or snow for more than a few miles, you aren't breaking the record, regardless of what you're driving.

Would you wear a diaper?
    However many are in a shit ton.

How about one of these options?

"Yes, I would like to purchase the Loss Damage Waiver."

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...collection.jsp
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Would you wear a diaper?

EuroSpecRS6AvantTurboDieselWithabox
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Would you wear a diaper?
    Could be worth it to set a new record. Lisa Nowak made pretty good time on her 900 mile trek thanks to her space diaper: https://www.biography.com/news/lisa-...ucy-in-the-sky

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    EuroSpecRS6AvantTurboDieselWithabox
    I like this idea, mod the fuel filler so you can juice up at the commercial pumps.

I would actually choose a diesel pickup with about 400 gallons of fuel in the bed.

No one is blinking an eye at a 3500 hauling ass across Nebraska. You would need to stop for fuel less. And they are plush as fuck now.
    Live Free or Die

White knuckling a full sized PU at 130+ is going to wear a guy out pretty quick.