Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Tried to do a 100mph average over a 100miles on a gsxr 750.

My duffel bag full of laundry decided to abandon ship and lodged in between my tire and the subframe. Resulted in a locked up rear wheel a 600 ft skid and an understanding why you buy good tires for sport bikes. It was flat topped and exposed the belting completely. Amazed it didn't blow, I rode the remaining 20miles home at about ten mph.

Never made another attempt.

Drove solo from WV to MT in a F-150 in 26 hours, gmaps says it’s 29 hrs, I stopped for a four hour nap. I’m afraid of what I’d do with a ride that comfortably cruises at 130 or faster and doesn’t have to stop for fuel every 300 miles.
    Last edited by SuperChief; 11-17-2019 at 12:00 PM.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

My Personal bests over a dozen XC runs:

2 solo drives, straight through, from Hanover NH to Park city UT in 33 and 34 hrs. Driving a 2007 Subaru forester. I was Fueled on Coffee, beef jerky, trail mix and weed.

The secret to heading west is timing. I take off at 2pm and that gets me to I80-I90 In NY just before rush hour. I do most of the shit drive through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, in middle of night, sharing the road with just truckers and no traffic. I get to the Mississippi River and davenport Iowa at sunrise and after that it's all wide open spaces and hauling ass. The Sun usually sets just before the Wyoming border and i get into Park city around midnight.

My fastest time was 2002 with my sister in a 1990s Saab turbo. That took 30hrs. She drove thru Iowa for 4-5hrs I drove the rest. We got into park city in time to watch the Simpsons at 1030pm.

That Saab was something else, just loved going over 100mph long diatance with the turbo spooled.

I have a tough time heading east. It's difficult to time and avoid the traffic of the east coast.
    Two years ago I did a solo UT > Rochester NY in a day; Got too tired and had to stop.

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...9RFyBlcSobsvPw

The new record breakers have 'come out'. That car and tech involved is crazy

Edit; long recap from the crew https://youtu.be/M6s9o6uIWZw
    Last edited by kevin267; 12-03-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    My Personal bests over a dozen XC runs:

2 solo drives, straight through, from Hanover NH to Park city UT in 33 and 34 hrs. Driving a 2007 Subaru forester. I was Fueled on Coffee, beef jerky, trail mix and weed.

The secret to heading west is timing. I take off at 2pm and that gets me to I80-I90 In NY just before rush hour. I do most of the shit drive through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, in middle of night, sharing the road with just truckers and no traffic. I get to the Mississippi River and davenport Iowa at sunrise and after that it's all wide open spaces and hauling ass. The Sun usually sets just before the Wyoming border and i get into Park city around midnight.

My fastest time was 2002 with my sister in a 1990s Saab turbo. That took 30hrs. She drove thru Iowa for 4-5hrs I drove the rest. We got into park city in time to watch the Simpsons at 1030pm.

That Saab was something else, just loved going over 100mph long diatance with the turbo spooled.

I have a tough time heading east. It's difficult to time and avoid the traffic of the east coast.
    Two years ago I did a solo UT > Rochester NY in a day; Got too tired and had to stop.

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Heading East is all about doing it on the weekends.

I left work in Jackson WY once on a Friday at 5pm and was eating breakfast at home in seacoast NH Sunday morning at 7.
    Live Free or Die

103 avg!
    193 top speed
    impressive.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    103 avg!
    193 top speed
    impressive.
    Or really fucking dumb. Perspective.

Twenty two and a half minutes getting gas - the whole trip. Gonna be a bit before Evs beat that.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    103 avg!
    193 top speed
    impressive.
    Most.
    I still call it The Jake.

I am not a car guy by any stretch of the imagination, so my only connection to the Cannonball Run are the various films.

While the first and second Cannonball Run movies are the ones I saw in theaters as a wee lad, my favorite has always been Gumball Rally. It's an infinitely better film, imho.

PS
    Just learned that there was a third Cannonball Run film entitled Speed Zone (aka Cannonball Fever aka Cannonball Run III), which came out in 1989...WTF?
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Interesting video. I am not at all surprised they were called in in Iowa. Very common. Amazing they made it. Love all the tech stuff. Has to be exhausting for all three people in the car.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Edit; long recap from the crew https://youtu.be/M6s9o6uIWZw
    This energizes me. Croudsourcing at its finest against the gubnovent.

Impressive record, and it was fascinating to learn more about how they pulled it off. However, those guys struck me as staggeringly huge douches. Good god what detestable human beings.

You certainty have to have a single minded hell bent focus to pull this off, disregarding a lot of possible outcomes and impacts on others. I still think it is cool inside of that tunnel vision but...

Imagine when shit hits the fan and the lawyers go after every single person out there assisting these guys in breaking the law. Conspiracy charges? It seems like it would be fun to help out but I'd be too afraid of the legal consequences to be of any use to them.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post

Imagine when shit hits the fan and the lawyers go after every single person out there assisting these guys in breaking the law. Conspiracy charges? It seems like it would be fun to help out but I'd be too afraid of the legal consequences to be of any use to them.

Imagine if they hit and killed a family driving down the highway? I'm just a dentist, but that wouldn't exactly be manslaughter would it? I mean, you're going out specifically to drive at an outrageous speed for 30hrs. It's not like you just want to step on it for a mile or two randomly. It's premeditated. Thankfully that hasn't happened.

wow! my best was 53 hours from mt. hood to albany, NY - with 2 people. At one point neither one of us could drive so we both slept. the little s-10 blazer did ok.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Imagine if they hit and killed a family driving down the highway? I'm just a dentist, but that wouldn't exactly be manslaughter would it? I mean, you're going out specifically to drive at an outrageous speed for 30hrs. It's not like you just want to step on it for a mile or two randomly. It's premeditated. Thankfully that hasn't happened.
    I’d just punch it and hope it was just a group of friends rather than a family.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    I’d just punch it and hope it was just a group of friends rather than a family.

How about just one guy and a few hitchhikers?

Cannonball run record broken NY-CA

Top times:

1. Mercedes Benz E63

2. Mercedes Benz CL600

I wanna no what...substances...they had on board to fortify them. I did Syracuse to LA one in ~30hours (two people) fueled by 1/4 hits of paper every now and again.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Top times:

1. Mercedes Benz E63

2. Mercedes Benz CL600
    This was not lost on me.

So why does Merc have such a hard time winning WEC/IMSA races/manufacturers titles?

On the hunt for silver sedans. They are everywhere.

I used to love these trips, now I hate it.

Did Chicago to Reno a few times. First day was 16 hrs straight to Cheyenne. Solo.

This is I want a camper van. Pull over and cook a meal. No hotels.

In 2006 I did York, PA to Corvallis, OR in just over 46 hours. Solo in a 2000 Subaru Outback 2.5-liter with two whitewater kayaks on top. Not very fast, but only slept for like 2 hours in a Wyoming rest area. Had a schedule to keep.

I've done XC trips a good dozen times since, but don't push the sleep monster that far anymore. The trips aren't as fun as they used to be - I like to get the traveling part of travel out of the way asap.

I vaguely recall that Galen Rowell once did Berkeley to Camp 4 in Yosemite Valley in just under 2 hours, in his Corvette. Which is mind-blowing, as something like 80 miles of that was on foothill 2-laners.

Looks like the record setting crew is from Northeast Ohio (probably where they honed their skills at evading State Troopers every 5 miles) and are now granting interviews saying they don’t like all the negative media attention.

Gotta say the pearl clutching seems way more ramped up than when Bolian did it.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/...-copycats.html