Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helmet/hat combos for touring

I've been using my resort helmet, giro ledge, for anything touring related, problem is I need a bulky hat underneath for good fit, but it fits better than any helmet ive ever had with a hat underneath. i'd overheat in a second if i kept my hat/helmet on while touring. for days when im doing short quick laps, it gets old having to pack up my helmet and hat and put it back on every lap.

So i'm looking for ideas for breathable helmet/hat, buff, brimmed hat, etc combo that I can keep on. I sweat a ton so i may never be able to wear a helmet for long at all while hiking up, so having a good breathable hat, that works under a helmet, that provides protection but doesnt hold water would be nice, so i can just throw my helmet on and off. Right now I've been using a headband hiking up, its the perfect amount of breathable and protection for the ears in wind. but it doesnt work under a helmet.

any advice?

K2 Route might fit the bill: https://k2snow.com/en-us/p/route-helmet

FWIW I don't wear this in mid-winter when I'm skinning laps, but it does breathe really well and I use it on the up in mountaineering situations.

Quote Originally Posted by scandy89 View Post
    problem is I need a bulky hat underneath for good fit, but it fits better than any helmet ive ever had with a hat underneath.
    FFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    FFS
    x2. Jeezus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    x2. Jeezus Christ
    X3. Fer cryin out loud

My Salomon Mtn Lab was noticeably cooler than my Giro even though it has a merino wool band/ear flaps. I usually pull a buff up over my head/ears in mid-winter when riding lifts and can wear it without in the skin track if I manage my sweat.

Right now I've been using a headband hiking up, its the perfect amount of breathable and protection for the ears in wind. but it doesnt work under a helmet.

any advice?
    Leave the helmet at home?

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
    Leave the helmet at home?
    ^ Nearly always this.

I also sweat a ton when I start moving, but I don't fuck with putting on and taking off a helmet when I tour.

I've been using the Salomon Mtn Lab for over two seasons now (has saved me from head injury on Shasta) and really dig it. You can take the liner out for when it's warmer, or put it back in when it's real cold or you're doing inbounds days. The boa like dial on the back works to adjust it for both non liner and liner uses for me. I think they even make them with a mesh "summer" liner as well now. Also it doesn't look full spandex euro like some of the Camp, Dynafit, etc skimo helmets.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I alwasy wore a helmet in-bounds but never touring, it was more about not liking to carry the damn thing

but I had a newbie experiance CTE falling over on an easy run in the BC, the symptoms were inabilty to ski or know where to turn and it was getting fucking cold but we eventualy got her out

it was really a low speed nothing fall but she had many concussions from falling off horses 40 years ago before anybody paid attention to that kind of thing and it messed her up, the symptoms did not last and she is fine

https://varuste.net/en/Mammut+Helmet...SABEgKO0vD_BwE

SO now i carry a helmet, i don't like putting it in the pack so I have this helmet holder
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

FFS
    8::: D ---

problem is I need a bulky hat underneath for good fit, but it fits better than any helmet ive ever had

any advice?
    Buy a new helmet that actually fits. If there is enough room to fit a hat or your goggle strap under your helmet it's too big.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    I also sweat a ton when I start moving, but I don't fuck with putting on and taking off a helmet when I tour.

I've been using the Salomon Mtn Lab for over two seasons now (has saved me from head injury on Shasta) and really dig it. You can take the liner out for when it's warmer, or put it back in when it's real cold or you're doing inbounds days. The boa like dial on the back works to adjust it for both non liner and liner uses for me. I think they even make them with a mesh "summer" liner as well now. Also it doesn't look full spandex euro like some of the Camp, Dynafit, etc skimo helmets.
    How's it fit without the liner? My issues been that I dont like liners at all, even pretty minimal ones. but taking it out usually requires a hat to fit well, even some of the adjustable ones i've tried on (maybe my heads a weird shape).
    If I could run the helmet with no liner and a super thin hat or headband and still get a good fit I think that'd be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    Buy a new helmet that actually fits. If there is enough room to fit a hat or your goggle strap under your helmet it's too big.
    thats with taking out the liner, with almost every helmet I've had i get a better fit and better venting by taking out the liner and using a thin hat. a super thin hat or buff would be ideal, but its usually not enough to take up the space the liner took up.

Though i will say I dont think ive tried one with a GOOD adjustment system, the ones I have tried with a think hat and no liner you could adjust a little but still felt super loose, and the next size down was just straight up too small.

How's it fit without the liner? My issues been that I dont like liners at all, even pretty minimal ones. but taking it out usually requires a hat to fit well, even some of the adjustable ones i've tried on (maybe my heads a weird shape).
    If I could run the helmet with no liner and a super thin hat or headband and still get a good fit I think that'd be ideal.
    It still fits really good for me, but I don't have a tricky fitting head. I've put thin (no top button) baseball style hats under it as well if I want more shade, also thin buffs perfectly. Used it for purely climbing without the liner as well on trips where I wanted to just bring one helmet for both (it's dual rated).

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    This. If you read pretty much any study re: the effectiveness of helmets, wearing a bulky hat under the helmet massively reduces the helmet's ability to function as intended in a crash.

If you're going to bother wearing a helmet, get one that fits so that it actually does something when you smack your head.

Go back to the helmet fitter. Have them add some shims but make sure the canting stays true. Sometimes they need to punch to accommodate the pom poms on top of the hat..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post

JMO but unless there's real risk of rockfall (or maybe if it's freezing cold) nothing screams gaper more than skinning while wearing a helmet.

get one of them new helmets with an intuition liner eh

I have a freebie hat from a chopper outfit with no button, i think pilot hats don't have the button so they fit under a helmet

my touring hat is a mesh back ball cap with a headband over the ears which breathes the best and keeps snow off the glasses, for the down I just turn the bill backwards and put the helmet on, the giro helmets with the fit snugging wheel at the back work the best for me
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

JMO but unless there's real risk of rockfall (or maybe if it's freezing cold) nothing screams gaper more than skinning while wearing a helmet.
    But you can't post pics to Instagram without a helmet... got to look rad for the masses.

FFS
    lol yeah

Right now I've been using a headband hiking up, its the perfect amount of breathable and protection for the ears in wind. but it doesnt work under a helmet.
    I also don't understand this

GUYYSS...

What if this is Chris Rubens? Always wondered why he tours with a hat and helmet? Or maybe the OP thinks he wants to be like Chris? IDK

Name:  Chris1.png
Views: 783
Size:  340.1 KB

Name:  Chris2.png
Views: 805
Size:  159.5 KB

Name:  Chris 3.png
Views: 759
Size:  132.7 KB

Petzl Meteor, use w/e hat or headband you want. I normally go thin headband (Croakies circa 1994 -- anyone remember them, based out of Jackson Hole?) and Meteor from car to car. If it's really cold or a really long run down hill I may use a hat, but often just pull the hood on of my midlayer and/or windbreaker.

meh I like not fiddling and having nothing on the outside of my pack. Guess the IFMGA guides I've ski'd with who do it as well are gapers