Bernese Oberland

Who do I know who ski tours in the Bernese Oberland and can answer some basics about where to base out of for five days or so?

Tourism can stick me in Lauterbrunner, Grindelwald, Wengen or Adelboden. While I realize wx and snow is always a crapshot timeframe is early April and it's best to get a place which offers the most lift-served/slackcountry/backcountry access for all possible options

The goal is to

- visit Fritschi (as I am a cult member)
    - use Swiss infrastructure (lifts, bus, trains to ski the lifts and to tour)

On balance the map says to go to Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen but maps can lie of course

I have swisstopo.ch and mapping tools but am familiar with the use mainly for summer self-guided for biking

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Berneseoberlandmap.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	302060

Not really the Bernese Oberland (I think?), but you might find some info here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...mtlodge-sedrun

You might try reaching out to mag vendul - he apparently owns a hotel in Sedrun but might be able to hook you up with info.

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Murren is too isolated for a basecamp, but make sure you go there to experience the place. Lauterbrunnen is a pretty epic town and puts you closer to Jungfrau.

Gündlischwand looks to be centrally located for greatness. 30 mins to the west is Schilthorn. 15 mins east is Grindelwald. Only 5 mins from Wengen. Cheap, beautiful, great train service and in the middle of all things Bernese Oberland.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Not really the Bernese Oberland (I think?), but you might find some info here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...mtlodge-sedrun

You might try reaching out to mag vendul - he apparently owns a hotel in Sedrun but might be able to hook you up with info.
    Part of this trip I'm working with Tourism Sedrun-Disentis and vendul for a week and a bit in the Andermatt area.

Grindelwald looks pretty central. Gundlischwand looks good too but maybe Grindelwald has more downtime stuff too

I've been to Grindelwald a few times. I remember it being kind of small, but still a ski town feel with a great view of the Eiger. If you want down-time things to do, check out Interlaken. Still a great rail system to the ski areas, and only 10 mins to Gundlischwand
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

There are a few Euromags that might answer, but here 's a good layout picture:

Looks like Lauterbrunnen is the most central with access to the Schilthorn via lifts and train up to Wengen accessing the Lauberhorn and Jungfraujoch.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Been there twice, most recently in April/May. I was lucky, have a friend who is a Swiss Mountain Guide, and got to base out of his place for free. Did a combination trip, with five days skiing at Grindelwald/Schilthorn/Wegen, then went 3 days to Zermatt/Cervinia. After that, did a five day hut trip in the Bernese Oberland with my friend & another client of his.

I stayed north of Interlaken, had 30 min bus ride to Interlaken. It would take over an hour to get to the slopes, but again I had free lodging in Switzerland for most of my 3 week visit except Zermatt.

If you purchase a multi-day lift pass for the Jungfrau region, all of the trains, trams, & buses were included (from Interlaken south towards the mountains) Smoking deal, I think it is still the same.

We came in from the Vallee via train, then took the tram from Sion up to the Wildstrubel hut. Skied around there for a couple of days, then skied across the range to the Wildhorn and out to Gstaad. We wanted to go further east to another hut, but it was booked [Easter is busy!].

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Depending on how close you want to be up the valley, Interlaken is a great place to stay. The train ride to Lauterbrunnen is like 20 minutes or something. It's all pretty close and Interlaken is less expensive than the other choices you're looking at. I've spent a week in Murren before (loved it, cool village) but it's expensive and to get anywhere else is an adventure due to having to take a train and tram in and out. We stayed in Interlaken a couple of years ago and it probably gives you the best for choosing options on any given day, is less expensive, and is a fun town in its own right.

Schilthorn has the best riding.
    Look here for routes.

https://www.bergzeit.de/freeride-map...au-region-ski/

General best maps all of Switzerland.
    https://map.geo.admin.ch/mobile.html...231,,,&lang=de

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    There are a few Euromags that might answer, but here 's a good layout picture:

Looks like Lauterbrunnen is the most central with access to the Schilthorn via lifts and train up to Wengen accessing the Lauberhorn and Jungfraujoch.
    Whoa! That whole map looks sweet!
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Schilthorn has
    Thanks subtle. Glad you chimed in!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Thanks subtle. Glad you chimed in!
    For what it's worth: I've never actually been there, but people whom I trust ride there and love the sidecountry / mini tours. Good vertical.

The main routes are usually in the freeride map. And some spicy ones.

This is THE guide for the region with some of the more obscure stuff. .
    https://www.amazon.de/Freeride-Guide.../dp/395240540X

From what I've heard the snow conditions tend to be funkier(not avi wise... just amount, distribution and blown away... +other things) than other places which is weird because there is no real explanation. Maybe because it goes from 500 to 4000m quite quickly.

Last edited by subtle plague; 11-13-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Yeah, Schilthorn’s terrain looked really good a couple weeks ago when we were hiking out that way.

I looked and Interlaken to Murren/Lauterbrunnen is like 20 mins via train so is pretty civilized. All lifts are open till mid April too which is good for timing except for First gondola which closes a bit early (S facing terrain there fyi)

Some maps which may be useful for others - http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Jungfrau-..._9783302025209 which I'll buy

also

Name:	resort-gwprospektplan-WEB_40.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	928.9 KB 
ID:	302171

and this I marked up so it has cardinal directions to correspond to some ski touring locales. Note lots of flat glacier walks

Name:	oberlandplanview-v1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	335.3 KB 
ID:	302177

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I looked and Interlaken to Murren/Lauterbrunnen is like 20 mins via train so is pretty civilized. All lifts are open till mid April too which is good for timing except for First gondola which closes a bit early (S facing terrain there fyi)

Some maps which may be useful for others - http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Jungfrau-..._9783302025209 which I'll buy

also

Name:	resort-gwprospektplan-WEB_40.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	928.9 KB 
ID:	302171

and this I marked up so it has cardinal directions to correspond to some ski touring locales. Note lots of flat glacier walks

Name:	oberlandplanview-v1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	335.3 KB 
ID:	302177
    Don't get that unless it's the 1:25:000 special edition (some maps merged together), if not just get the single maps of that area.

Edit: yes it's the merged thing. Still get get the one below as well because it helps planning, a lot..

Get the 264s 1:50.000 with most standard ski tours. Here.
    https://shop.swisstopo.admin.ch/de/p.../ski_tour_maps

It's the winter map in collaboration with the Sac and shows most routes.

and dont forget to toy around with the map tool
    https://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=de&to...gNodes=457,458

You should PM Joe Strummer. He has a hook-up with the guardian of the Konkordia Hut. And by hook-up, if you mention his name she will probably wait until you are asleep before she cuts your throat. Don't drink the Rugenbrau. It gives you explosive diarrhea.

I don't have valley based ski touring experience in the Oberland, but I have been in many of the huts. Usual drill is to access the area via the train from Kleine Scheidegg to the Jungfraujoch. That puts you front and center for all of the main summits in the Oberland. We stayed at the Monchsjochhutte and climbed the Monch from there. Next day climbed the Jungfrau and skied down the Aletsch Glacier to the Konkordiahutte. From there you have many options. Some smaller summits nearby the Konkordiahutte (kind of blanking on the name, Grunhorn?) Big summits like the Aletschorn. You can ski out the Aletsch Glacier from the Konkordiahutte to the Rhone Valley. Or do other summits like the Finsteraarhorn, or head for the Hollandia Hutte. From the Hollandia Hutte there's a climb of the Abeniflue with a nice descent. You can exit west from the Hollandia Hutte into the Loetschental to Blatten and pick the train up further down the valley in Goppenstein. It's a fantastic and enormous area with huge mountains and lots of glacier terrain.

PS -- For good maps, download the SwitzerlandMobility app. It has the whole country and lets you zoom in super close.

Thanks Choucas...we're going to base out of Wengen and see what weather holds. If weather is good touring to Aletsch will be good but planning for all

Wengen will work great for that. You'll have more options than you have days even if you never get to the other side of the Eiger/Monch/Jungfrau. Enjoy.

We were there in the Summer a couple years ago. Stayed several days both in Gimmelwald and Grindelwald, and hiked all over the place from both locations. Anyway, when I go back on a ski trip I'll stay on the Grindelwald side. That based on talking to locals. If the weather is good, getting anywhere from anywhere else is easy. If it actually snows, Schilt sounded like the place to be. I don't see the place we stayed listed, it was close to this one: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1696573...sbCD92viShOP1x As others have said, scenery is amazing in both valleys.