Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    186

    Wanted: Setting Din for Dummies

    Been mounting my own skis for a while and just using a din chart to set the toe din and the heel din. But now I read on a thread someone talking about lateral release and forward pressure? Is there more to setting up bindings than just the toe and heel din (assuming you have the correct BSL and toe height)? I didn't find anything with forum search but if someone can reference a thread or a go-to Google article that would be great.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,838
    You shouldn't be mounting your own bindings if you don't know basic shit like this.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,802
    Some bindings require more adjustments than others. Not all boots are compatible with all bindings.

    So yes, there is more to setting up bindings than just the toe and heel din.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Some bindings require more adjustments than others. Not all boots are compatible with all bindings.

    So yes, there is more to setting up bindings than just the toe and heel din.
    Yes, I'm aware of Grip Walk and ISO 9523 etc. that's what I was referring to when I said toe height

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Some bindings require more adjustments than others. Not all boots are compatible with all bindings.

    So yes, there is more to setting up bindings than just the toe and heel din.
    Thank you, that's so very helpful.

    I've mounted many skis and I weigh 220 lbs and have taken them through big drops and park jumps for years and never had a binding rip out so I think I've been doing at least an okay mount job. BUT I have been having the shop do the din setting, now I would like to learn how to correctly set up the bindings on my own.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,802
    Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Thank you, that's so very helpful.

    I've mounted many skis and I weigh 220 lbs and have taken them through big drops and park jumps for years and never had a binding rip out so I think I've been doing at least an okay mount job. BUT I have been having the shop do the din setting, now I would like to learn how to correctly set up the bindings on my own.
    Sorry to not be sufficiently precise. I'm working on typing up a spreadsheet of every adjustment necessary for every binding on the market, but since every binding is slightly different, this is taking a while. Check back in a couple of days - I should have it done by then.

    Also, fuck off Jong.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    3,561
    Your bindings came with a little instructions booklet. Read that. If you threw it away, google it and download a copy.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Puget Oceania
    Posts
    333

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

    Also, fuck off Jong.
    Ah there it is, I was waiting for that. In all seriousness, not trying to piss people off, and I fully accept I am a jong in this area, just trying to learn a thing or two.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    12,143
    Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Ah there it is, I was waiting for that. In all seriousness, not trying to piss people off, and I fully accept I am a jong in this area, just trying to learn a thing or two.
    start with forward pressure
    din means nothing without it

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    868
    Just google the and download the PDF for the binding. Everything you need to know is in there.

    Except for FKS which requires some art to get setup right.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,802
    Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Ah there it is, I was waiting for that. In all seriousness, not trying to piss people off, and I fully accept I am a jong in this area, just trying to learn a thing or two.
    What I'm getting at is: if you tell us what binding you're talking about, we'll be able to tell you what adjustments to do. But we're not going to tell you how to adjust every binding out there.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    30,218
    Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Thank you, that's so very helpful.

    I've mounted many skis and I weigh 220 lbs and have taken them through big drops and park jumps for years and never had a binding rip out so I think I've been doing at least an okay mount job. BUT I have been having the shop do the din setting, now I would like to learn how to correctly set up the bindings on my own.
    Does your Dad work at Goldman Sachs though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    What I'm getting at is: if you tell us what binding you're talking about, we'll be able to tell you what adjustments to do. But we're not going to tell you how to adjust every binding out there.
    Gotcha. Bindings I'll be mounting this week are Shifts and Marker Jester Shizo. Looks like I need to start with tracking down the pamphlets

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    726
    LeeLau did a huge post on Newschoolers about properly setting up the Shift. To be honest though the Shift isn’t something I’d recommend you setup for the first time. It’s super sensitive to all the adjustments you don’t know much about yet.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Gotcha. Bindings I'll be mounting this week are Shifts and Marker Jester Shizo. Looks like I need to start with tracking down the pamphlets
    nice. other than the old ess/var bindings you pick the the 2 most LEGO bindings available, have fun
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?

    fire

    rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,121
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Does your Dad work at Goldman Sachs though?
    Obviously not or he would already know these things.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    nice. other than the old ess/var bindings you pick the the 2 most LEGO bindings available, have fun
    Haha. I think the Shifts are a pretty good fit for a 50/50 resort/backcountry ski. And I'm just using the Schizo's cause I had them laying around and I'm putting them on a pair of swiss cheese skis and the shizo's give you a lot of flexibility on where you can mount.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eburg
    Posts
    12,909
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    So yes, there is more to setting up bindings than just the toe and heel din.
    This is a remarkably polite response to a Tech Talk query of this ilk.

    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Also, fuck off Jong.
    Okay, that's better

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,328
    Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Been mounting my own skis for a while and just using a din chart to set the toe din and the heel din. But now I read on a thread someone talking about lateral release and forward pressure? Is there more to setting up bindings than just the toe and heel din (assuming you have the correct BSL and toe height)? I didn't find anything with forum search but if someone can reference a thread or a go-to Google article that would be great.
    Hilarious troll is hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,510
    I think the minimum DIN on any TGR approved binding setting is 12.

    Any less than that and you're not gonna get anywhere here. May want to try Pugski.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,532
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    This is a remarkably polite response to a Tech Talk query of this ilk.

    Okay, that's better
    Holy sheet! Big/Old/Geezer you're back! The quality of TGR lawyering and birding have gone downhill in your absence.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,071
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    You shouldn't be mounting your own bindings if you don't know basic shit like this.
    this.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,377
    Just go get some safety straps and you'll be fine.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Strong and Free
    Posts
    365
    Jongís guide to binding adjustment:

    DIN: start with the chart, then adjust up if you release prematurely, or down if you break your leg (itís a fine balance). Or, just crank it to the max and hang with the TGR big boys (at your own risk). Generally lateral release happens at the toe, and vertical at the heel if you feel the need to set them differently.

    Forward Pressure: this is the adjustment you are calling boot sole length. Adjust heel to toe spacing until the forward pressure indicator on the heel is within range with the boot clamped in.

    Toe height: adjust height of toe wings or AFD until you have the specified gap between boot sole and AFD. This is commonly measured using a business card as a thickness gauge (which may or may not match the gap spec). Make sure you pull the boot toe up against the binding wings when you measure. Not all bindings have toe height adjustment, but it is particularly important for bindings designed to work with multiple boot standards (alpine, touring, Gripwalk).

    This is the generic version. Google your specific binding to get detailed instructions. Some binding have additional adjustments, like toe wing spread on some Salomons. Tech touring bindings have a different set of adjustments.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •