• Line -2cm

2 13.33%
  • > 2cm behind line

1 6.67%
  • Forward of the line

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PROTEST MOUNT POINT (do-over: please vote again

I did this in the middle of summer, and got some good feedback. But now snow's flying and more traffic here, and I had no 1.5cm option then (which seems popular - and this ski seems pretty sensitive to mount point). And...I need to mount my Protests already.

So, what do you think is the ideal protest mount point? Please vote again if you voted before - trying to get a consensus from the collective.

Me: 190 lbs, 5'10", aggressive/fast, not a jibber. Skis: 192 Protest, stock core/flex(3), veneer topsheet. I'll be skiing a lot of tight trees with these, but also want to rip it out in the open.

DISCUSSION POINT: why does almost everyone mount these aft of the line? Seems like Keith is passionate about his product and for sure skis them - why didn't he get it right (or did he)?
    Last edited by skizix; 11-11-2019 at 06:29 PM.

-1.4 can’t speculate on Keith but I have same version

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    DISCUSSION POINT: why does almost everyone mount these aft of the line? Seems like Keith is passionate about his product and for sure skis them - why didn't he get it right (or did he)?

does almost everyone mount these aft of the line? Seems like Keith is passionate about his product and for sure skis them - why didn't he get it right (or did he)?
    The answer lies in how Tabke stands in his skis.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Not a jibber -1.5 no question

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I own 192 customs in 4 flex. I went -1.75 since i used my 188’s at 102.5 from the tip, which i looove there to determine my mount point. I split the diiff tip and tail of 188 to 192 and thats where the mount point came to. They fucking rule there.
    A guy could mount anywhere from -1 to -2 and be pretty happy.
    I am the same stats as you fwiw.
    With that mount point I can pressure the tips or stand neutral with no ill effects. They lost none of the super quick pivotability either as my hill has pretty tight trees yet are super stable hauling ballz on the open terrain.
    Oh, Protest fucking rule. That is all.

I'm on the line and well happy on my 192 flex 4.5 UL veneers. Full disclosure, i haven't tried any other mount points but I am a picky nerd who knows what he likes.

I chatted with Keith for a while about protest mount point. He/They mount +2 apparently which i find extremely interesting considering how many go aft of the line.

Frankly i could see the merits for both depending on skier style and preference so I'm happy with my choice to go on the line.

6' 220lbs who likes to ski fast in tight trees and open spaces with a 311 BSL

I rolled -1.4 and Whyturn now skis those. Then went -2 on next set of #4s if that tells you anything. If I did it again from scratch ~ -2

-2 verly inderdasting. Looking at a pair that are at -1 so that puts my -1.5 unpossible. -2 though.....
    I had a pair on the dimple before i went back to -1.5. Dimple just doesnt work for me, especially heavy snow in flat light. No surf no fun. For me, i found -1.5 still very ez to pivot but i could also push the tips whenever/wherever
    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I'm on the line and well happy on my 192 flex 4.5 UL veneers. Full disclosure, i haven't tried any other mount points but I am a picky nerd who knows what he likes.

I chatted with Keith for a while about protest mount point. He/They mount +2 apparently which i find extremely interesting considering how many go aft of the line.

Frankly i could see the merits for both depending on skier style and preference so I'm happy with my choice to go on the line.

6' 220lbs who likes to ski fast in tight trees and open spaces with a 311 BSL
    Haha, I'm tired and your avatar looked to my weary brain like b-bear's; who I believe is fairly slight.
    When I read 192 4.5 flex I was like: "Whoa!".

Anyway, this thread interests me as I picked up some 192 flex 3 map core veneer Protests.
    Two sets of toes holes and one set of heel holes.
    Pretty sure the way my boot will fit w/o redrill will put me a bit forward.
    Last edited by pfluffenmeister; 11-11-2019 at 09:57 PM.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

I did a -2 on my new(2me) 192s, because 2FUNKY told me to. Quality of ride TBD. He seems to know WTF about the Protest, so I predict awesomeness.

My 196s are on center and I like them there. I’ve only skied them on a couple of deep days, and they took me where I wanted to go. No complaints.

I have my 192s taped up and ready to mount at -1.5

I am 6'3" 210lbs with gear on and would prefer a surfy, quick ride skied from a fairly nuetral stance.

No idea how theyll ski, but i have to start somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    The answer lies in how Tabke stands in his skis.

... Thom
    This does seem like a good theory. I just watched some vids of Tabke comp runs. He does indeed seem to have a pretty upright stance (especially on his in-runs - little less so once he gets charging, but still...seems to use the tail more than most). Didn't really see any jibbage (but these are freeride runs), but maybe that's his background...? Interesting/different style, but it seems to work for him!

Thanks for that insight.

FWIW, my BSL is 318

Ok, and bumping this so it stays on the first page. I'm leaning towards -1.5, but last time I asked, on-the-line won out - more votes please!

Dude. Shit or git off the pot. Your second thread on the same subject and you have more than enough data points. It’s a wonder how I figured it out without starting a thread (or 2).
    I hope you doo mount on the line geesh

ETA a useful exercise is get your quiver out. Tie the bindings and put them on the dinning table (off the ground) Line the fuckers at your mount points. Puff a bowl. See if there’s some congruency. See how your new Protest fit along your already understood mount points. Do a full 360 walk around looking at the ski differences and rocker lines. Puff again. Do it the next day again if you have to. Just do you. Do it how it seems best for YOU.

I mounted +4. Way better balance there. Mount it behind the line if you wanna backseat Charlie.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I mounted +4. Way better balance there. Mount it behind the line if you wanna backseat Charlie.
    This comment makes me think and remember - your location is another factor. Ie Coastal density steep terrain or drier low angle.
    +4 where I ski = DOA

I believe I made the same point last time this was a thread but...
    Note the mount point changed over the early years. on my 187 purple trippy tattoo graphic - I’m at like -.75 or so but it’s -10 from true center

Also - why not just get demo binders on there and figure it out for yourself. Being able to dial it in for me ended up being the difference between “I don’t love these skis” to “cold dead hands” skis

You guys scared me into thinking it was my last chance to get some new Protests a few weeks back, that it was a going out of business sale or something... so I picked up some stock 192s. I plan to mount -2.
    Last edited by bry; 11-13-2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Grammar

-1. to -2. and you'll be too stoked on the skis to keep second guessing this stuff once you ski them.

You should start a third thread about this.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Tough crowd. Sorry for clogging up your TGR experience with a redundant post

In any case, I do appreciate all the input - going with 1.5 back of the dimple.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Tough crowd. Sorry for clogging up your TGR experience with a redundant post

In any case, I do appreciate all the input - going with 1.5 back of the dimple.
    You will not be disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    You will not be disappoint.
    but if you are, definitely make a 3rd thread about it.

I find it amusing that everyone thinks the O'Meara bros make rad skis (they do) yet somehow think they don't know where to mount them.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    but if you are, definitely make a 3rd thread about it.
    How about a poll about starting third thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........