• Line -2cm

2 13.33%
  • > 2cm behind line

1 6.67%
  • Forward of the line

1 6.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I find it amusing that everyone thinks the O'Meara bros make rad skis (they do) yet somehow think they don't know where to mount them.
    Have you ever played with the mount point of the ski being discussed and the nuances associated with it?

Yes. Protests and Wootests.

I've also owned/skied GPOs, BCs, Rx, and freerides.

But people apply the mount ____cm back mantra to all of their skis. It's basically the blanket advice.

Yes. Protests and Wootests.

I've also owned/skied GPOs, BCs, Rx, and freerides.

But people apply the mount ____cm back mantra to all of their skis. It's basically the blanket advice.
    And?
    I didn’t love my protest in deep dry snow on the line, heavy cement, different story. Mounted them back and totally fell in love wherever i went.
    Skied BC’s on the line and liked them there. Have GPO’s sitting in the shop and will ski them on the line to see what gives.
    Spoke to keith about the mount point in great detail in regards to the protest. He said a lot depended on preferred stance and that they have a large sweet spot so a guy can go back or forward of the line depending on that. The dot on them is a culmination of what he felt was a good starting point for most, esp with a more upright stance.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    And?
    I didn’t love my protest in deep dry snow on the line, heavy cement, different story. Mounted them back and totally fell in love wherever i went.
    Skied BC’s on the line and liked them there. Have GPO’s sitting in the shop and will ski them on the line to see what gives.
    Spoke to keith about the mount point in great detail in regards to the protest. He said a lot depended on preferred stance and that they have a large sweet spot so a guy can go back or forward of the line depending on that. The dot on them is a culmination of what he felt was a good starting point for most, esp with a more upright stance.
    Strongly recommend mounting at least -1 on GPO's. BC's were good for me on the line. Other Praxis I've skied needed to be back. GPO's most of all. Will be mounting some 187 Protests at -2 soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

^^this. Tip dive on the dimple w my gpo's. Fave ski ever at -1. Loved my bc, yeti, exp on the dimple.
    Wonder if a bc could be had with rrc . Now that theyre 3 flex that could really open the sweet spot in the backcountry consitions

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Noted. Thanks doods.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    And?
    Sure, I buy that. My protests are from before there was a mark, and IIRC, are mounted in the middle of Keith's recommended range.

But my comment was really that pretty much every praxis thread on this forum recommends going back without any consideration of where the center of the sidecut is, or what BSL length, or what the ski was designed for.

Sure, I buy that. My protests are from before there was a mark, and IIRC, are mounted in the middle of Keith's recommended range.

But my comment was really that pretty much every praxis thread on this forum recommends going back without any consideration of where the center of the sidecut is, or what BSL length, or what the ski was designed for.
    Well, I'm pretty confident that Protests are designed primarily for skiing powder. So center of sidecut is not really a primary consideration. And being a powder ski, it makes sense not too many feel inclined to go forward of the line. Sounds like plenty are happy at the line, and many are mounting anywhere between 0 and ~3/4" back. Doesn't seem that radical, or worth bickering over.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Well, I'm pretty confident that Protests are designed primarily for skiing powder. So center of sidecut is not really a primary consideration.
    Then riddle me this: why all these numbers? 132/137/130/131/124
    There's a 1 millimeter difference in there. If sidecut doesn't matter, why bother with 1 mil?

Plus the "recurve" aka rocker/camber/rocker is aligned with that sidecut.

These skis weren't an accident, and recommending a mounting point based on how they compare to a ski of similar length, but completely different design, or simply by how it looks, isn't good advice. Especially considering that they are supposed to be slashy, and moving the mount back makes them less so.

And being a powder ski, it makes sense not too many feel inclined to go forward of the line.
    Drew skis all his skis on or forward of the line.

Doesn't seem that radical, or worth bickering over.
    Says the guy who started two threads

But really, I agree. They're your skis, mount them wherever you want.

They still pivot super ez at -1.5. People have more traditional styles and others more jibby new school. If Drew occasionally mounts forward, im sure theirs plenty of peeps thatd benefit by mounting back. Sidecut does indeed matter hence the newest gen protest has a 128 waist. Less sidecut can give it a bigger sweet spot though

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I’m sure we can all agree that the protest is one sick pow tool

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Says the guy who started two threads
    Yada. I had reasons, but WGAF anyhow?

FWIW: I have the current, 128-waist version. For the fuck of it, I just emailed Praxis, detailing how/where/etc I ski, and what they think of 1-2 back vs dimple vs forward. Will be curious what they have to say (still think I'm sold on -1.5, and will most likely mount this weekend - though I have 3 pairs to mount, so it might slip).

When I talked to Keith (admittedly that was years ago now) he said that he recommends on the dimple for all their skis, but going back a bit is fine too. But I honestly can't remember if we were talking about the protest or the GPO.

Why the fuck would he recommend not mounting on the god damn mark he put on his skis? honestly though.

We can all discuss personal preference but that can apply to any skier on any ski. The spot the manufacturer recommends mounting is exactly that.

Mount them so the ball of your foot is over the most camber (yes Protests have a bit of camber). Place your boot on the ski, move it so the approximate ball of your foot is on the highest part of camber, mark the boot center, mount there.

Or start a thread to see if you should buy the Soul 7s

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Mount them so the ball of your foot is over the most camber (yes Protests have a bit of camber). Place your boot on the ski, move it so the approximate ball of your foot is on the highest part of camber, mark the boot center, mount there.

Or start a thread to see if you should buy the Soul 7s

Good luck getting within +/- 1” of your target location