Out of the binding game for a while, need a recommendation

I just got some new Kusalas from otto parts that I'm itching to mount up. I have piles of 5+ year old bindings in the shop from back when I was collecting gearswap deals just to design templates and plates. I'm sure there's plenty of new hotness I need to consider now that I'm paying attention again. Been out of the gear game for a few years once I sold the business and fell back on all the crap I already have in the shop.

First, I will tour them and want a decently-light setup. Secondly I prefer the lightest burly alpine binder I can get away with for inbounds, needs to be compatible with the combo touring/alpine soles (what's the fancy term for this these days?). Thirdly I'm not confident on the mounting line and was thinking about a demo binder to experiment with the line a bit if there is a decent one without too much tradeoff.

Currently thinking about these options:
    * put a switch on there and be done
    * dual mount for jester schizo and plums/dynafit once I nail the mounting line
    * dual mount for FKS and plum/dynafit and stop whining about the line

I vote option 2.

Of all the skis I've had demos on, full reverse skis seem to me to be the most sensitive to mount point.

Getting that dialed in before you mount touring bindings is worth it, IMO.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

in that case - is jester schizo the best option for a binding that can vary the mounting line? painful to put a pair of markers on there...

When I'm unsure about where to mount bindings, I make a first best choice for a center line, and mount pre-2016 model Marker demos for my BSL at that center line. If it works out that I was right, I remove the demos and install regular Marker Royals using the existing holes (same pattern). If I was wrong, and assuming I might not have them forever, I just leave the demos on rather than drill more holes. Maybe this didn't answer your question, or maybe it works with your Schizo idea.

Unsolicited Kusala info: 100 cm was recommended on the PM Gear page. I have Marker demos set at 99 cm straight pull from the tip, which has been great. I got mine from otto_parts, too, and they had a line hand drawn there. If I remember right, in the Kusala threads people were mostly settling on 99 cm.

Edit: long shot (?), but if you're ever around Portland, OR, you're welcome to borrow mine and find your mount.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    painful to put a pair of markers on there...
    Heh.

in that case - is jester schizo the best option for a binding that can vary the mounting line? painful to put a pair of markers on there...
    (EDIT: lucknau & I are on the same wavelength.)

My preference is the "outdated generation" of demo plates for demo Jester/Griffon/Squire. Low stack height, plus that demo design is pretty damn close to the design of the non-demo versions of those same models, plus if you get lucky you can re-use some of those demo holes if you later want to replace it with non-demo Jester/Griffon/Squire.

I guess schizo version of the above might be same advantages/disadvantages as above, but I've never used schizo.

I hear demo Aaaattack (both versions 1 and 2) bindings perform great, but I think their stack height is not as low as demo Jester/Griffon/Squire....and I prefer lower stack height.

Last edited by Vitamin I; 11-10-2019 at 01:40 PM.
    - TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post

I hear demo Aaaatack (both versions 1 and 2) bindings perform great, but I think their stack height is not as low as demo Jester/Griffon/Squire....and I prefer lower stack height.

All True. Stack height even greater with the MNC (AT) variant. Can re-use heel holes, which is nice.

Solid tips from the trenches, these guys seem to know a thing or two.

I'll cast a different stone: trust the mount to the 99cm line of yore, with Tectons or Shifts and ride into the sunset (if you're light and want kinda light bindings anyway)

I agree with all the comments about demo bindings.

Markers are not my favourite either but their demo product is pretty decent.

Schizo you mount to your bsl whereas demos mount to 315mm bsl if memory serves. Either one could have advantages depending on what you want to mount afterwards.

Another vote for old marker royal demos. I ski them almost exclusively inbounds.

Also Shift has a track heel so if you ended up preferring to adjust mount +/- 1-2 CM you only have to redo toe. I’ve done it

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Unsolicited Kusala info: 100 cm was recommended on the PM Gear page. I have Marker demos set at 99 cm straight pull from the tip, which has been great. I got mine from otto_parts, too, and they had a line hand drawn there. If I remember right, in the Kusala threads people were mostly settling on 99 cm.
    Side note, I have skied those exact skis for a day. And I was the one who mounted them for otto in a hotel room the night before. That super stiff pair is a gem. Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Schizo you mount to your bsl whereas demos mount to 315mm bsl if memory serves. Either one could have advantages depending on what you want to mount afterwards...
    Yes, if you are mounting those Marker Royal demos for the general public to share, then the standard is to mount to 315mm BSL. That allows a 315mm boot to harness the full +/- 2.5cm range of positions on the plates, and your huge buddy with 365mm BSL can fit AT ONLY ONE POSITION, and your 265mm tiny buddy can fit AT ONLY ONE POSITION.

But if you instead mount Marker Royal demos for your own selfish use, then just mount the plates to your personal BSL instead of the standard 315mm---that way, your own boot harnesses the full +/- 2.5cm range of the plates (but then maybe your bigfoot buddy and/or your tiny-foot buddy can't fit into your mount at all).

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

^^^ good point

Side note, I have skied those exact skis for a day. And I was the one who mounted them for otto in a hotel room the night before. That super stiff pair is a gem. Thanks for the info
    I love this place. That’s awesome.

Given that these probably are only coming out on soft snow days (and deeper ones probably), I’d say Vipec for the tib/fib protection.

If these are the extra stiffs, they’re my favorite pair of skis ever. Enjoy em!

I mounted mine at -9 or so from center of the sidecut (center of the ski I think).
    Last edited by Lindahl; 11-12-2019 at 05:54 AM.