Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Never
    Leave
    Academia
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Never
    Leave
    Academia
    I did.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I'm a bit baffled by the only OK mountain biking too, but if no one is building, I guess mountains aren't enough on their own. I like to dig, so hopefully there would be some places that would accept some new trails going in if we did end up there.
    I think there is starting to be some movement in trails orgs, which is why what they have is getting better. They need some type of Shoreline type trails system that's easy to hit after/before work. Currently most everything that I know of is up the canyon. I don't know what the land ownership looks like on the benches above town though.

I forgot to mention that there is a bunch of limestone sport cragging up the canyon if that interests you at all.

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    And CAMPMOR is in town for a cheap gear hookup.

3 hr norte to the Tetons. 2 to Targhee? 2 hrs south to Wasangelesl
    I think it's Campsaver.

And Targhee is still 3.5 hours on dry roads from Logan.

My experience has been limited mountain biking, spectacular climbing (some of the best limestone in the state) and skiing if you have somebody to show you around. It's been mentioned up thread, the Wellsville & Bear River are not the Wasatch, there are few people out and about and they don't spray online. If you meet the right people though the opportunities are endless. The yurts are easy to get into and the terrain is massive, especially with a cooperative snowpack.
    All the concerns about the dominant religious faction are warranted, although Logan has a significantly less oppressive vibe than Utah Valley or, to me at least, a place like St George. It's more of a Cedar City vibe, Mo for sure but also full of peeps who will tell you to fuck off if you start with the Jeebus talk.

Climbing is one outdoor sport that I never really got into. I have always enjoyed it when I have gone - mostly in college - but never have gone regularly enough to improve and get good enough to go out on my own. If I ended up somewhere it was the area's comparative advantage, maybe I'd have to. I enjoy learning new things. My ability to increase in skill offsets my inevitable physical slide.

If you like to drink beer, stay in W Mass. If that's not a compelling factor, Logan could be cool.

Some good skiing up Ogden way. Can show you around the north. Always wanted to hit beaver mtn.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Some good skiing up Ogden way. Can show you around the north. Always wanted to hit beaver mtn.

Thanks! If we end up moving out there, I'll certainly take you up on it.

I’m going to need to get on my computer to fully answer questions as I lived in Logan for 10 years. Several other Mags lived there as well. We became good friends. Look for posts from me, Twoplanker and Stoysluttyone (sp?)
    USU is a good place.
    Skiing is no issue at all. Beaver for a home mtn and hit Ogden, SLC, WY.
    Biking is fun. They could use a builder.
    You’re 35 minutes from Idaho for real beer. Recent changes will give you real beer in the grocery store.
    Lots to do and hikes.
    Momo culture is there but you can get away from it.
    We moved to a house in Cove with lots of land, had 2 Danes and loved getting out of Logan proper.
    In SLC now for the past 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    I’m going to need to get on my computer to fully answer questions as I lived in Logan for 10 years. Several other Mags lived there as well. We became good friends. Look for posts from me, Twoplanker and Stoysluttyone (sp?)
    USU is a good place.
    Skiing is no issue at all. Beaver for a home mtn and hit Ogden, SLC, WY.
    Biking is fun. They could use a builder.
    You’re 35 minutes from Idaho for real beer. Recent changes will give you real beer in the grocery store.
    Lots to do and hikes.
    Momo culture is there but you can get away from it.
    We moved to a house in Cove with lots of land, had 2 Danes and loved getting out of Logan proper.
    In SLC now for the past 12 years.
    Thanks for the good info. I ran across some of your old posts when browsing the old threads.

It sounds like a place that I would probably like. Now we just need to see if they want to hire my wife, and if they do, if they want to enough to find me a job. I had an interview yesterday at the school I'm at now in Western Mass. They told me they probably won't get to a decision until after Thanksgiving break, which is actually kind of convenient as it makes it more likely that we could wait to see if my wife gets an offer from USU.

Are you currently at one of those fancy NESCAC schools, or UMASS- Amherst?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Are you currently at one of those fancy NESCAC schools, or UMASS- Amherst?
    I'm at Mount Holyoke.

Nice. I have friends in Amherst. a landlubber's P-Town.
    I bet that you make more $$$ there than you would at USU.
    Of course, you cannot compare skiing within 1.5 hr of Mount Holyoke (Butternut, Berkshire) to Logan (Alta, Snowbird, Snowbasin, Pow Mow).
    Then again, married or not, there must be perks to teaching at such a fine all girl school in central Mass.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I know that the Greater Mt Tom/Northampton/CT River Valley ain't the worst place in the world and people gotta live somewhere but my honest advise would be to get the fuck out and move to the intermountain west. I grew up there and what people think of as the good life make me want to put a fork in my eyeballs. I don't know how old you are or your specific situation up I'd encourage you to give it a shot. Even if Logan ain't the dream, it could be a stepping stone to the dream.

Feel free to ignore, I really just posted because I want to say:

Paging Meats of Evil

Yeah in the grand scheme of things, I really like where we live. Nice small towns, some pretty good mountain biking trail systems nearby. No complaints save for that my first year here was a wild aberration in snow fall and it spoiled me into thinking i would be able to do regular little ski tours in the mighty Holyoke Range. That hasn't been feasible since.

I also like my job a lot. I like my students and they seem to like me. I'm the Outdoor Club advisor. They do pay better than USU (though the cost of living is a bit higher too). If we end up here, I'll be happy and consider myself lucky.

That being said, I do have a little wanderlust for what Foggy_Goggles is suggesting. I just love mountains. We lived in the Himalayan foothills two summers ago and I was just happy to get up everyday and go take a walk. So if the opportunity presents itself (and that's no guarantee), I wouldn't mind trying out somewhere else for a while.

Good luck, mang. It sounds all good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    (Butternut, Berkshire) to Logan (Alta, Snowbird, Snowbasin, Pow Mow).
    Please Marcus only skis the best. Tough to swallow a possible downgrade to Utah.
    https://bestinsnow.liftopia.com/winn...erica/overall/

#1 Magic Mountain, VT
    #2 Titus Mountain, NY
    #3 Mad River Glen, VT
    #4 Alta, UT
    #5 Powder Mountain, UT
    #6 Grand Targhee, WY
    #7 Snowbird, UT
    #8 Jackson Hole, WY
    #9 Jay Peak, VT
    #10 Big Sky, MT

For selfish reasons I hope you stay around. Best of luck my friend.

4-8 & 10 ain’t a bad life

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

#skitheeast

Logan is getting a brewery which seems like a huge first step in becoming somewhat normal in Utah. I'm partial to Ogden as I live here so I can't quite comment on that. Talks of developing the downtown too. All the mountains/snow has already been covered before...

https://cachevalleydaily.com/news/ar...#comment-43354

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HOLLY2.PIX_-1024x665.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	928.3 KB 
ID:	362681

Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    Can I get a 2021 Ogden scale rating for Logan? Also any mag feedback on working at the Space Dynamics Lab at USU? There's a position I'm considering.
    SDL has always been considered a fantastic place to work.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy