Movie - Touching the Void (2003)

Just finished this movie.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379557/

Haven't read the book.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ching_the_Void

It is a gut wrenching story by Joe Simpson about their climbing mishap on mountain in the Andes. Simon Yates and Joe Simpson sought to climb a peak, only to have a mishap on the way down. It is a story of Joe's survival and also Simon's reflections on how it all went down. A bit slow to develop and move along. I almost lost interest half way through but cam back the next day, watched the remainder, and I'm happy I did.

Lessons learned:
    - never give up
    - carry extra fuel
    - carry more rope
    - it isn't always worth reaching the summit
    - you can survive more than you think you can
    - forgive
    - develop a sense of humor

I'll give it 3.5 stars out of 5 stars. Not a *must see* but still a great story and one that I think all ski/mountaineers will be happy to have seen.
    Make sure to watch the EXTRA FEATURES stuff if you happen on the DVD.

As a story in survival and determination, I'll give it 5 stars for the honest and reality of the events told.
    Rotton Tomatoes gave it 94%. I'd be pretty sure it did really well at mountain film festivals.

It is a rainy day movie. One that really hits home what can happen on a mountain adventure.

Cheers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8kKws6o.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	941.5 KB 
ID:	301667
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Yeah, read the book, for sure. It isn't just one of the greatest mountaineering epics ever... the guy is a great writer. After that, check out his two follow-up books.

I met Joe at REI in Seattle before a showing of that film. Had him sign a few things including a poster of the photo you posted. Also a copy of his “The Beckoning Silence” which is essentially about how death permeates the world of adventure sports. I feel a little bad that I told him how much I laughed out loud while reading that book. But he kind of looked down a little sheepishly and said, “yeah...you’ve got to have a sense of humor.”

The Beckoning Silence ranks up there on the list of my favorite books.

Touching the Void book is excellent and the movie very well done. Two thumbs up to both.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Touching the Void book is excellent and the movie very well done. Two thumbs up to both.

Just finished the book.
    Took a lot of patience to get to the accident part. After that, I was gripped and right into it.
    Truly an amazing story of focus and perseverance - and camaraderie.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er