Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Spent the night at the Diamond J and met the new owners. Couple of young Aspenites with a lot of enthusiasm and some great ideas. Hopefully they can make a thriving XC/touring/MTB operation.

This is a really nice place to start or end a 10th Mtn. trip. It’s not listed as a lost ski area, but Peter Dahl said he skied here in the 40’s.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0406.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	346843

The old rope tow.

Name:	IMG_0407.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	346844
    Slope

Name:	IMG_0405.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	346845
    Lodge

Name:	IMG_0404.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	346846

http://www.diamondjcolorado.com/?wmp_theme_mode=desktop

Nice. Probably good timing for them to do something with the exposure from this years TGR flick.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I love that spot. Know a couple of those kids and wish them the best.

I talked to a few friends about some of the shakeups at SkiCo, and a few other tidbits...

It'll be way different for a while before it's the same. We all knew that, but hearing it and seeing the shakeups is making that more real.

Hopefully, for those that always get a premier pass and just ski whenever they can, it won't be too different once you're on the hill, other than distancing protocols in the lift line.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I love that spot. Know a couple of those kids and wish them the best.

I talked to a few friends about some of the shakeups at SkiCo, and a few other tidbits...

It'll be way different for a while before it's the same. We all knew that, but hearing it and seeing the shakeups is making that more real.

Hopefully, for those that always get a premier pass and just ski whenever they can, it won't be too different once you're on the hill, other than distancing protocols in the lift line.
    One other thing that will be different is getting to other ski areas. Getting to Highlands for example - I won't be using the bus this year.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    One other thing that will be different is getting to other ski areas. Getting to Highlands for example - I won't be using the bus this year.
    I have a feeling parking is going to fill up with MUCH less skiers on the mountain this year (relatively).
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Yeah, parking will be an issue this year.

I’m not thrilled with the new uphill routes at Snowmass. I usually park at the divide and go up Slot or Campground.

GR: You should apply for some of the new Coffey Place units. They look nice and it’s a sweet location.

We are at Snowmass the most currently due to the kiddos. The wait for the rodeo shuttle is gonna suck. May just be biting the bullet on paying to park.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    GR: You should apply for some of the new Coffey Place units. They look nice and it’s a sweet location.
    We’re throwing are hat in and crossing a lot of fingers. They look pretty awesome. My 15mo boys are making a mockery of our condo.

Good luck! It’s perfect for kids. You’ve got the Rec Center, skate park, tennis courts, ball fields, play grounds and MTB trails.

2019/20 Aspen/Roaring Fork Thread

Anyone need some Free clean chick skis or a padded double ski bag?

Nordica Wild Belle
    162 , 84mm, system binders.

Name:	IMG_0420.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	347792
    Last edited by Shredhead; 11-14-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Yeah, parking will be an issue this year.

I’m not thrilled with the new uphill routes at Snowmass. I usually park at the divide and go up Slot or Campground.

Trying to get our stuff together for the app. We're pretty low tier since we are out of SMV most of the time for work. but hopefully 30+ years between the two of us here gives us a little luck.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

The new Coffey units look awesome. Snowmass is the shit, I was lukewarm when we moved from town two years ago but you'd have to drag me out of here now (still an Ajax junkie, however).

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    We’re throwing are hat in and crossing a lot of fingers. They look pretty awesome. My 15mo boys are making a mockery of our condo.

Stan?

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Stan?
    Me? No

Sent yesterday it seems:

Hello Everyone,

It’s hard to believe Thanksgiving and ski season are already upon us. The COVID time warp is in full effect. Our operating plans have been submitted to the state, snowmaking crews are making great progress, and natural snow continues to accumulate, so we are looking good for a Thanksgiving opening.

One problem: COVID is spreading like wildfire across our community. We all knew that a second wave was coming, but the momentum it picked up during the offseason is surprising. It’s putting what we all worked so hard to accomplish—a safe and long-lasting ski season—in jeopardy. The key warning lights are flashing red, with infection rates and state hospital capacities pushing past March levels. The fact that our case counts are rising so fast during the quieter and less crowded offseason is particularly concerning. It is clear evidence that spread is not only about how many people are here visiting but also about how we all personally act and interact. Local or visitor, the critical focus needs to be on modeling the 5 Commitments of Containment at all times. We’ve got to stop the spread now.

On Wednesday, our community will be placed into the orange level on the COVID meter, which means capacities will be reduced to a 25-perecnt cap in all indoor spaces, and we’ll be one step away from the Stay At Home level. According to the county’s contact tracers, the culprit is social gatherings where people get together and hang out indoors without masks and for extended periods of time. The data shows that if we wear masks, wash our hands, and avoid close contact, we can bend the curve and get back to a lower infection rate and reduced restrictions. But to get there, we will all have to sacrifice and avoid social gatherings. Similarly, we all need to think about when we interact with others. To that end, I want to reiterate that we should all be working from home if we can, and we should not be having indoor in-person meetings unless they are critical. When we do meet in person for work, everyone needs to keep their mask up and maintain 6 feet of distance between participants.

Our collective goal is really straight-forward: bend the curve before we open so we have the community capacity to support the visitation levels that come with the ski season. As a cautionary example, almost all European resorts have delayed their season openings to mid-December at the earliest, and many of those resort communities are under Stay at Home restrictions. We don’t want to go back there.

I know that’s hard for all of us, particularly this time of year we like to celebrate the return of winter, but we have no choice. We all rallied to beat back the spread in the spring; let’s do it again. And it is going to take all of us, so please pass the word along to your friends. We must all change our behaviors or face the very real possibility of harsh restrictions coming back at us.

So spread the word: If you want a great ski season, stop the COVID spread.

Mike Kaplan President and CEO ASPEN SKIING COMPANY

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post

According to the county’s contact tracers, the culprit is social gatherings where people get together and hang out indoors without masks and for extended periods of time.

Our collective goal is really straight-forward: bend the curve before we open so we have the community capacity to support the visitation levels that come with the ski season.
    Truth and I really hope things can get turned around. Skiing would suck to lose, but schools closing down, further economic restrictions and personal hardship are the real, eventual consequences.

The summer lingered on, PitCo COVID numbers stayed low enough and it was easy to spin conjecture on how it was all "texans/visitors bringing it in." Now much of the population here is lazy, fatigued and/or too selfish/ignorant to think they or their friends could have it or spread it too each other. People socializing like normal, parties/dinners inside, multi-household kid sleepovers and playdates indoors, poor mask usage at work because "you know your coworkers"... it sucks to see.

/rant

I am continuing to keep my fingers crossed. The best case is we can find a way to keep the kids and people on the hill safe and have a full season of skiing and kids in school.

I am not going to turn our passes back in at thins point...gotta just keep the hope I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    People socializing like normal, parties/dinners inside, multi-household kid sleepovers and playdates indoors, poor mask usage at work because "you know your coworkers"... it sucks to see.
    That was all happening over the summer too, though. People have been lazy about it since June, in fact in my anecdotal experience I have noticed people are being a lot more mindful of "COVID protocol" for the past 3-4 weeks than they were over the summer. What we are seeing right now is a result of the seasonality of the virus which is pretty hard to deny at this point and considering Flu season doesn't usually peak until February, it's not good.

If you are young, healthy, low risk, and only showing very mild symptoms....I feel like you shouldn't go get tested. At least not just yet. Save the test for people that need it, and if you are worried about your long term health, let things playout for a little and see what we learn about the virus over the next six months.

The tests have proven to have a lot of false positives, and all the test is going to do is tell you to do what you should be doing anyhow if you think you have been exposed. At this point, you shouldn't be in contact with a ton of people anyhow...so surely you can tell your co-workers and friends you are self isolating and may have it.

I skinned up Snowmass today, it was nice.
    Maybe we should organize an Aspen Mountain skin next Wednesday?

That would be sweet. I need to buy some new skins and find some used AT boots. All my stuff, including shovel, beacon and probe got stolen. They didn’t take the skis though.

Nice, I went up to the base of 6 yesterday after work. Groom and coverage was great. I'm gone next week, but I'd be in for a skin one of these days

I can't do it next week either but would 100% be down for a meetup this season.

After 1A gets rolling, I’ll setup a ski and chili cook off!

Well...looks like reservation system coming. At least they are going to prorate your refund based on what percentage of the season they are closed. I think that is a pretty good way to do it.

Ugh...we need a season.