Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2019/20 Aspen/Roaring Fork Thread

Since people have been shredding already, figured it was time to get the annual thread fired up.

I headed up Snowmass this past weekend and wasn’t disappointed. Nothing special, just great to be making turns.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9300.JPG 
Views:	929 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	301545

Name:	IMG_9285.jpg 
Views:	897 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	301546

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

It’s warm up here.

Name:	IMG_9318.jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	301790

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    It’s warm up here.

Name:	IMG_9318.jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	301790

Skinned Ajax at 3pm yesterday to the top. Really nice with full shade and full groom. Mellow crowds compared to earlier in the day and Highlands last weekend.

Got my workout in, dragging the 20y/o touring “rock skis” up.

Name:	IMG_3873.JPG 
Views:	673 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	301907

Lady friend is planning a trip for my birthday, we're eying a quick lap out to Aaaaahhspen the first week in Dec. Thinking it may be WROD-heavy trip. How extensive/reliable are the WROD-making capabilities here? Worth a trip even if we get skunked?

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Lady friend is planning a trip for my birthday, we're eying a quick lap out to Aaaaahhspen the first week in Dec. Thinking it may be WROD-heavy trip. How extensive/reliable are the WROD-making capabilities here? Worth a trip even if we get skunked?
    I've heard the Canadian Rockies are supposed to get pummeled over the next couple weeks - maybe switch to something up there?

Aspen, like most other places in Colorado, sucks without quite a bit of snow. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    If you’ve got Ikon passes and aren’t paying, you could have some decent groomer skiing. If you’re paying to ski, I’d say no at this point.

Still no real moisture in the 10-day. Aspen has ok coverage on the main groomers, but it needs some real snow to be decent. Highlands won’t open till 12/7, so you’d be limited to Aspen and Snowmass groomers.

What day would you actually travel?

They are predicting 12/1 as the busiest air travel day in history! I’d imagine the next couple of days will still be kind of busy, especially if we get a weather disruption during the holiday.

It’s always best early season,to pick at the last minute, but this week might be problematic.

That being said. Aspen Mountain skis better on >25” than anywhere.
    Art and the boys get the goods open fast, if we do get snow.

There’s always a ton of shows at the Belly Up, good restaurants and nice hotels, even if the skiing isn’t great.

Get ready for some B2B this weekend! Or is it Bell to Nell?

3 more inches coming this week, then maybe something Monday/Tuesday of next week. Definitely been very dry the last week, but at least cold enough to make snow I guess.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Get ready for some B2B this weekend! Or is it Bell to Nell?
    I feel like 50/50, depending on what the storm actually brings our way. I would guess they stick with just Bell for this weekend.

Next 10 days looks like we could get some good snow. Hopefully the moisture today (11/20) is snow up on the mountain and not rain.

Do you all think Passapalooza is going to really cause any uptick in skiers on 12/13-12/15? I would think most people that are going to ski Aspen in early December are going to be Aspen passholders, or Ikon people that would be there anyhow. I have some friends deciding if they want to come to town and curious how crowded it will be.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

When they did the $6.50 lift tickets a couple years back, there were 6k skiers on the mountain 1k of which were passholders and they only had 130 acres open at the time. 12k tickets were sold, so a lot of people bailed due to the subpar conditions. I heard it was busy that day but nothing too insane.

Hard to say how the $59 lift ticket deal will shake out, obviously not as enticing as $6.50 especially if conditions aren't great.

I don't think it will cause a big uptick. They've done discounted tickets for early season through Premier Pass holders the last couple years and I don't think it's led to a huge uptick.

Lots of skiers who might be interested likely already have Aspen days through their Ikon pass.

It rarely crowded here and early season is a great time to come. No bumps.
    Stores are fully stocked, people are excited for the new season.

Belly Up has Modest Mouse, Head and the Heart and Thievery Corporation, that will be a tough week.

I miss the Belly Up. There's hardly a bad time to go to Aspen, so I say go for it.

Oh shit, wish I could of grabbed some Modest Mouse tickets. Not gonna pay $270 though on stub hub.

hit me up if you looking for a place to stay. I have a 2/2 next to W, center of town 1 b lock to gondola. Fully remodel led. Open for the first two weeks of Dec. Would deeply discount for the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Oh shit, wish I could of grabbed some Modest Mouse tickets. Not gonna pay $270 though on stub hub.
    If you look for tickets the night of, on Facebook and such, the price usually goes back down.

Nice storm that turned out to be. T to B should be on the table now...

A foot of dense will surely help!

And it is still falling. Should be a couple more inches today hopefully. Down at my place we only got about three inches, but it is heavy as shit. Gotta run up to Highlands today to pick up the wife's boots, will be fun to see the fresh coating. I am super stoked for this season.

13 inches in 24 hours as of 8, i agree with Jay, i am hoping to see top to bottom tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    13 inches in 24 hours as of 8, i agree with Jay, i am hoping to see top to bottom tomorrow.
    And relatively dense... great storm! T to B for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    And relatively dense... great storm! T to B for sure.
    I am just looking out my window smiling. The flakes coming down are huge and it just keeps piling up!

We officially have top to bottom tomorrow from the gondola.