Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    My kids' drop off for AVSC is at Two Creeks. On the chair around 9. Look for orange coat and dps skis.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Any mags ski Highlands Bowl this past week? It was pretty terrible on Sunday with an ice crust under 5 or 8 inches. Hopefully that packs down and then we get more on top. I still hiked it twice as I had a friend in town and the bottom 1/3rd was good. Everything facing south off of DT was pretty not good as well.

Olympic Bowl skied alright...then Monday at Snowmass was really good.

I will be dropping kiddos at Treehouse and Base Village at 9:30, then will be skiing alone if I don't meet up with any mags. All black, white helmet and goggles, rather large black and grey beard....used to be all black...haha
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I'm making my first trip out to CO from Tahoe this Saturday-Tuesday to ski Aspen (and maybe Abasin on the way there/back). If anyone has a moment to give me some tips it'd be much appreciated!

Aspen is big....should I try to make it to snowmass, aspen mountain and highlands (I'll have 2 or 3 days at Aspen)? My goal would be the steepest gnarliest terrain possible as long as the snow is half decent, hopefully with some rocks or trees given it'll be cloudy.

Thanks! And if anyone's looking to take some hot laps let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by bennerlur View Post
    I'm making my first trip out to CO from Tahoe this Saturday-Tuesday to ski Aspen (and maybe Abasin on the way there/back). If anyone has a moment to give me some tips it'd be much appreciated!

Aspen is big....should I try to make it to snowmass, aspen mountain and highlands (I'll have 2 or 3 days at Aspen)? My goal would be the steepest gnarliest terrain possible as long as the snow is half decent, hopefully with some rocks or trees given it'll be cloudy.

Ajax, Highlands and Abasin. Skip Snowmass. On Aspen explore the dumps, gents ridge and Chair 1. At Highlands hit the bowl but be aware that unless you are pretty fit you will be doing 2 maybe 3 laps on it(if you hike to the top). Temerity is sweet but the obvious ways down, just like KT get skied out quickly. At Abasin, explore everything off of Pali. Steep Gullies are sweet but dont expect any wide open big mtn turns. Its tight, techy and craggy. Zuma is pretty meh, I would skip it. If the east wall is open def try to get up there.

Sat-Tue will be good timing here, with snow potentially Sat PM through Tuesday.

Aspen Steep Ticklist:
    Always open: Kristi, Hidden Treasure, Jackpot, S1, Zaugg, Silver Queen, Corkscrew, 1A Lift Line, NORWAY, Niagra and Franklin.
    Gated terrain (should be open those days): Bingo, Traynor, Silver Queen Ridge, Bonnie Bell

Highlands Steep Ticklist: Bowl (B's > G's), Y-Zone, Temerity (GLE, Kessler, Soddbuster), Eden, No Name, Moment, Upper+Lower Stein, P-Chutes

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Aspen Steep Ticklist:
    Always open: Kristi, Hidden Treasure, Jackpot, S1, Zaugg, Silver Queen, Corkscrew, 1A Lift Line, NORWAY, Niagra and Franklin.
    Gated terrain (should be open those days): Bingo, Traynor, Silver Queen Ridge, Bonnie Bell

Highlands Steep Ticklist: Bowl (B's > G's), Y-Zone, Temerity (GLE, Kessler, Soddbuster), Eden, No Name, Moment, Upper+Lower Stein, P-Chutes
    Excellent list. Cosign.

Wow! Y'all went above and beyond, thank you! Can't wait to get out there.

Looking like abasin saturday, then Aspen et al. on Sunday-Tuesday unless Abasin picks up way more snow Tuesday.

Wow! Y'all went above and beyond, thank you! Can't wait to get out there.

Looking like abasin saturday, then Aspen et al. on Sunday-Tuesday unless Abasin picks up way more snow Tuesday.
    East Wall is open with hiking terrain now at the Basin! Hurry and hope for more snow before it closes.
    "Speed is your friend"

Aspen Steep Ticklist:

Well I'm using this list tomorrow. Thanks a-vibes!

How about this one: where should I eat Sat and Sun? Fancy not necessary, feeding 4 including two teens - just reasonably tasty and reasonable pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Well I'm using this list tomorrow. Thanks a-vibes!

How about this one: where should I eat Sat and Sun? Fancy not necessary, feeding 4 including two teens - just reasonably tasty and reasonable pricing.
    Dinner? Lunch? On Mountain?

Dinner? Lunch? On Mountain?
    Sorry. Dinner. Lunch is usually just sandwiches in bags - nobody wants to stop skiing long.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Sorry. Dinner. Lunch is usually just sandwiches in bags - nobody wants to stop skiing long.
    All good. For reasonable dinner: L’hostaria bar, Red O, Home Team, Jimmy’s Bar, Mi Chola; Bangkok or Bamboo Bear for takeaway.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

All good. For reasonable dinner: L’hostaria bar, Red O, Home Team, Jimmy’s Bar, Mi Chola; Bangkok or Bamboo Bear for takeaway.

Thank man! Very appreciated.

Aspen Steep Ticklist:

Tasty list
    Just finished five days at Jackson Hole (Monday was stellar).
    Was planning on heading up to Big Sky for my first time up there, but cancelled and will be skiing Aspen Sunday-Thursday.

Go Snow!!!
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hookster View Post
    East Wall is open with hiking terrain now at the Basin! Hurry and hope for more snow before it closes.
    Looked like it got skied fairly hard yesterday but still may be fun. The North Pole hike from top of Lenawee is way easier and probably worth your time.

Everything is skiing well off Pali right now so probably just check out all that terrain and some beavers (glockenspiel, Alex, jeager, thick and thin) Zuma bowl probably won’t be any good at the moment. Look for west turbo off the Pali lift, some rocks in the top of the chute to billy goat but it’s fast and pretty smooth right now. Steep gully 1 can be done without really hiking just look for the traverse on your right when you get to the part that just seems like an Avalanche path through trees

2019/20 Aspen/Roaring Fork Thread

Zuma Cornice was ok yesterday but the areas you mentioned were much better. Even found old untouched powder in the trees in the Beavers.

We caught the East Wall opening. Here's a group in front of us at the North Pole drop in: "If you fall here you go to the hospital"
    Name:  IMG_1041.JPG
Views: 542
Size:  71.3 KB
    Love AB, put in 10 seasons as a paramedic. Zuma and the Beav was oob except for us then
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1015.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	316910
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1032.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	502.8 KB 
ID:	316911

Ajax this morning. Denim + black crows. I do have change for a nickel

Just curious, which model black crows?

Thinking of trying Corvus and Atris next year as a Snowmass ski

Thinking of 102-109 range for when there is less new snow

Sorry for the tech talk (request is location specific)

I’ve been enjoying my regular GPO as daily driver for Snowmass/highlands or any place with soft snow, but looking for something narrower

Thanks

Aggressive in my own mind

I have the Atris in 189 and ski with six more friends who ski the Atris daily here. I’d prefer to have 184 for most days at Aspen/Highlands, but the Atris overall is a great, versatile ski for our conditions. I haven’t skied the new Corvus but it seems to be raved about.

Last edited by alpinevibes; 02-22-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Ski a 184 atris and it’s a very solid daily driver for a basin/ summit county. Skied well in aspen a couple weeks ago during a variety of conditions

Lapped the Panda Peak headwall with my 2yo this morning followed by lots of fun turns on the N facing steeps of Ajax in the pm. Nice little Saturday

Thanks for the atris comments above. Will have to do some demo’ing

Aggressive in my own mind

Ajax this morning. Denim + black crows. I do have change for a nickel

Sorry I missed ya. Was carrying a nickel around looking for change.

Probably back at Ajax tomorrow. Lots of steep stuff was turning nice. Might be some coral reef out there tomorrow after the 80 degree day today.

Nice surprise this morning. I’ll be at 1A early.
    Blue coat, black helmet, Cham127.