Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

2019/20 Aspen/Roaring Fork Thread

Just an FYI:

All premier pass holders get 50% off bike clinics. The down hill skills clinic is only $99. The bike coaches don’t get paid, if they don’t have a class.

Show up a little after 10 or 2 and you basically get a private 3 hour for $49.50.

They’re stoked to get paid to ride and they get more $, than you just gave to the Skico.

This is a perfect time. The dirts good and it’s empty.

Thanks Shred, got this lined up for my wife. I could use a clinic too no doubt.

Snow was nice after the smoke and 88F. Got out on Sky Mountain last night and the dirt was primo

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This morning was gorgeous!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0306.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	339875

Name:	IMG_0308.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	339876

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	339877

Hit me up if you come out. I’m on the Gondi around 10:10 everyday.

^^argh you’re killing me. Gondi every day?

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    This morning was gorgeous!

Name:	IMG_0306.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	339875

Hit me up if you come out. I’m on the Gondi around 10:10 everyday.
    I was at the bench yesterday afternoon, went Cozy-Sky-Dead-Tom-Rim-7

Alterra Announcement bodes well for Premier pass holders, if SkiCo goes along with the same thinking:

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/alte...er-operations/

“Access to the mountains will be prioritized for season pass holders. The number of daily lift tickets will be tightly regulated, according to Gregory, and those will only be available through advance purchase.”

I don't think the local Aspen/ Snowmass skier has much to fear this coming season. It's the larger restaurants, shops, and hotels that should be afraid.

For the purposes of using math, let's say the season is 23 weeks or 161 days. How many of them are actually busy or crowded? At best there are 40 days (do your own math) with appreciable crowds and most of them are tied to events and holidays.

The holidays may still occur but the events aren't likely.

Picture January without Gay Ski Week and the X Games. And no Brazillionaires, Aussies or Argentinians. Winterskol? (haha)

International travel is out and domestic air travel will be down for a while. The drive market, yes, the Ikonic ones, is likely to be the only market that is up.

If your only concern is your own skiing, I think you'll be fine, maybe even better than average. If you have a highly leveraged business that's dependent on volume, it's going to be tough.

Of course, all of this assumes that it will snow but there's already another thread for that.

Only one maggots opinion so not worth much, but I see a lot of unnecessary hand wringing going on. It's not like this is Vail or something.

jummo

I agree 100%.

Only worried about early season and a lot of snow would alleviate that concern.

I am worried they’ll rip out 1A next year. Then when Gorsuch Haus goes tits up, we’ll be stuck with a hole in the ground and no lift for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by jummo View Post
    The holidays may still occur but the events aren't likely.

Picture January without Gay Ski Week and the X Games. And no Brazillionaires, Aussies or Argentinians. Winterskol? (haha)
    In April and May everyone was saying the same thing about Ideas Fest, F&W, Jazz Aspen, AMFS, etc. The tourists still showed up.

Numbers will be down but how much is a complete shot in the dark at this point. Summer was insanely busy especially compared to expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    In April and May everyone was saying the same thing about Ideas Fest, F&W, Jazz Aspen, AMFS, etc. The tourists still showed up.

Numbers will be down but how much is a complete shot in the dark at this point. Summer was insanely busy especially compared to expectations.
    Way different clientele. Also, during the summer, it’s easy to be outside. In the winter, not so much. Dining al fresco is an easy sell in the summer. Dining under heat lamps in 10 degrees isn’t that appealing.

But we’ll see....

We’ll be in the valley visiting family over Christmas for the first time in a couple years. Fingers crossed for a good snow day at Highlands, although my mother in law’s ski posse much prefers Ajax so we usually end up there. But mostly looking forward to skiing Buttermilk with my 5 y.o.

Don’t care so much about the dining options - as long as Tumbleweeds is open I’ll eat anything...
    Last edited by One (+) Sentence; 09-15-2020 at 04:32 PM.

You really can’t go wrong with any of the hills.

Buttermilk’s a great family hill. Drive up and park at West Buttermilk. Best parking/picnic spot in the valley.

You really can’t go wrong with any of the hills.

Buttermilk’s a great family hill. Drive up and park at West Buttermilk. Best parking/picnic spot in the valley.
    The lot used for the summer Farmers Market, right?

No, that’s the worst place to park, unless your using the ski school.

Right above the base of the West Buttermilk lift, at the very top of W. Buttermilk road. Kind of far up there.
    Small dirt lot with picnic tables.

Tiehack lot is a lot closer to town, but not as nice for little kids.

Excellent, thanks. Never skied Buttermilk.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Excellent, thanks. Never skied Buttermilk.
    The milk. Nothing like skiing the milk

My poodle would get up there then he would go in my back pack

https://youtu.be/Bfweu2_tXUo

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    The milk. Nothing like skiing the milk

My poodle would get up there then he would go in my back pack

https://youtu.be/Bfweu2_tXUo
    Yeah, normally I would just heli over, pay for early access to the Bowl, and hire a local photographer to shoot me.

But this trip I’m really looking forward to skiing with my 5 year old.

Hell yeah, the milk! Season goal this year is to have my kid doing T to B's there. I should probably change my little TGR tag line from "Spar to Bar" to "Homestead Road to Hot Cocoa". Life comes at you fast.

I agree 100%.

Only worried about early season and a lot of snow would alleviate that concern.

I am worried they’ll rip out 1A next year. Then when Gorsuch Haus goes tits up, we’ll be stuck with a hole in the ground and no lift for a decade.
    They wouldn't let that sit.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Hell yeah, the milk! Season goal this year is to have my kid doing T to B's there. I should probably change my little TGR tag line from "Spar to Bar" to "Homestead Road to Hot Cocoa". Life comes at you fast.
    It's incredibly rewarding.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I will be curious if chamber pass holders will have the same “priority” as premier pass holders.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I would expect some changes to pass offerings and normal Covid changes to operations. Nothing crazy, at least to start off with.

On a side note, I went into Basalt Bike and Ski Aspen this weekend. 2 of 3 employees weren't masked up, despite getting so close as to hand me an item. I've been in a few times this summer and there has been at least one employee without a mask every time. I said, "excuse me, you should really be wearing a mask while working," He said I was being f-in ridiculous and stepped toward me like he wanted to fight. I told him he should set an example for all the tourists. He told me to go back to where I'm from; at which point I told him I live here. Needless to say, I'll be finding a new shop.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    On a side note, I went into Basalt Bike and Ski Aspen this weekend. 2 of 3 employees weren't masked up, despite getting so close as to hand me an item. I've been in a few times this summer and there has been at least one employee without a mask every time. I said, "excuse me, you should really be wearing a mask while working," He said I was being f-in ridiculous and stepped toward me like he wanted to fight. I told him he should set an example for all the tourists. He told me to go back to where I'm from; at which point I told him I live here. Needless to say, I'll be finding a new shop.
    The only thing that store was good for was the mechanic they had, who used to be at the Basalt location, but I not sure he's even still there anymore.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    that must have been at the Carbondale location? The guys in Basalt have been great all summer. I am sure if you dropped Joel a note, he would appreciate it.