Thread: NYE in NYC

NYE in NYC

Who’s done it? Any must do’s/don’ts?

Feel funny posting this thread as I grew up 20 minutes outside the city but never went in for NYE.

I did work in SOHO for a short stint and have a couple spots in mind in SOHO and Queens but don’t really know how those places will be on NYE.

Going to head in early on the 31st, am with a group with several people that have next to no experience in NYC. Should be able to throw together an agenda that they’ll enjoy for the day. Staying in a yet to be determined hotel overnight. As of now the only part of my plan that is set in stone is to stay far the fuck away from Times Square.

The must dont would be "dont go to NYC for NYE"

Go see Phish at the Garden. Drink your way from South Street to the Garden starting early in the morning. Back in college I did a day like that with my roomies that had never been to NYC. We started at Battery Park because they wanted to see the WTC, and eventually finished at the Planetarium for the Pink Floyd laser show. Then walk up through all the cool neighborhoods finding all of the corner watering holes along the way and a few more famous spots too. Have lunch at Katz's then head into the Village and keep drinking and then keep heading uptown.

What's the Science Guy doing in New York?

The best! Just bring your platinum card, and don't mind the maggots.
    Maybe pre-game at your hotel, then enjoy a great dinner, then a club, then a 3am breakfast at the Empire diner and finally back to the after hours clubs (these are usually very gay bars) or your room. The gay bars are filled with all types of partying folk.
    I have done this so many times, and it has never disappointed
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I never made it there in the 8 years I was living on the north shore. 3-4 times I had planned to but always got sidetracked in the pre game stuff, usually got invited to a different party and chasing tail that resulted in bailing. More often than not, did find a good diner around sunrise out that way.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Who’s done it? Any must do’s/don’ts?
    As of now the only part of my plan that is set in stone is to stay far the fuck away from Times Square.
    Off to a good start with that. Not only for the idiots, but also streets blocked off and police & hostlers out in force.
    Plan a fun day all over the city. Gravity lover had a good plan. Phish show NYE is a blast but tickets will be $ and with a lot of people likely better options
    Bars/clubs will be packed and many will have covers, steep covers.
    Its amateur night on steroids. B & T x 1 0 because the whole world thinks they want to be there that night.

Start in the places you know, get friendly and maybe you will end up at a house party.
    Champagne on stoops is fun

Went to NYC for New years with some friends from work 10 yrs ago. The girls insisted on doing Times Square for NYE. What a fucking nightmare. Got there 5 or 6 hours before ball drop. Pens about 25ft x 25ft made out of fence barricades had been set up along the streets leading away from Times Square. As each one filled up people were directed into the next pen. We could see the screen from our pen but couldn't really make out whatever stage had been set up. And so we stood there. For hours. There was nothing to do. No booze allowed - there were undercover cops in each pen busting anyone they saw with booze. Not that you'd want to drink anything as there were no bathrooms. We had a small food court nearby with a couple singles and the lineup was massive to get into it. Then the cops would give you a hard time to get back into the pen where your friends were. We wanted to leave but at that point had gone through so much aggravation we were determined to stick it out. It was freezing cold, of course. Finally saw the ball drop, and all the confetti. Get the fuck outta there and over to a bar where some other friends were. Would never do that again. Never would have done it had I know what it was going to be like. On the plus side it was by far the cheapest night in NYC though.

Went to a Rangers game another night. Game was sold out vs Mtl. Thought it was odd there were pretty much no scalpers out, and the ones that were there were only buying tickets. Odd.... finally found one selling and got a ticket - talked him down from 250 to 100 which still seemed insane, and a bit worried it was a fake. Went in, upstairs, then up more stairs. Finally needed help finding the place. Turns out it was a ticket to a luxury suite. Score! Full bar and buffet laid out. It was just me and a trio of attorneys. Their 4th didn't show so they scalped the ticket I bought. Got absolutely shitfaced that night. Definitely got my money's worth there.

So my tip for NYE - if you want to do Times square get a hotel room or Air bnb with a balcony within view of it. We saw tons of people in warm condos or hotel rooms who were having way more fun than us.

TS on NYE = Gerry = skiing in jeans
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I grew up on Long Island, a 45 minute train ride from Penn station and never went to Times Square for NYE and always avoided going if asked, I thought that I'd never even gone into the city for NYE but then I remember We were given tickets to see Howard Stern at the Felt Forum in 86 or '87, I don't remember much about that night but do remember Fred dressed in a Nazi uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    TS on NYE = Gerry = skiing in jeans
    Yeah that's pretty much what it felt like standing there

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Yeah I grew up a 40 minute train ride away and for the last 22 years have been 1:20 away and never went either. My grandparents used to talk about when they went for New Years 1940/41 and what a nightmare it was, apparently it hasn't gotten much better. The rent a place with a view has been the gig for a long time for July 4th too.