Page 39 of 66 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    'boutique is Just talking About...

flicking Autocorrect.

tj

2019/2020 Midwest Stoke Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Christie Mountain opens Friday the 25th.

Hubba Hubba !

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Christie Mountain delayed their opening until next weekend. I will be at Trollhaugen today. Ask for change.

Quote Originally Posted by jdoyle View Post
    Weak trip compared to Harry. (what’s new)
    Nonsense. All stoke is good. Your night skiing pic reminds me I have to update my clear lens steeze. Plus you skied a run called “Death Alley” !?!
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Pics from Trollhaugen on Black Friday. All lifts running, including the new lift. Race Camp in full swing.

$24 night skiing ticket good until 3am FTW.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1669478338.339105.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	435481

Name:	Image1669478363.319502.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	435482

Name:	Image1669478381.904218.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	435483

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

And the $24 lift ticket includes live Swongos music too! No wonder the Midwest stoke meter is on 11 all season.

$24 night skiing ticket good until 3am FTW.

Name:	Image1669478381.904218.jpg 
Views:	65 
ID:	435483

Found a video on YouTube of The Swongos playing Trollhaugen

Got out Friday to Welch, but it was a tad crowded for the couple runs that were open, and the line was across the hill, so In opted for hanging with the winter crew in the lot, having a few brews, splitting a brat, and having some good laughs! Great to see my "winter crew"!

Yesterday was Turkey Day with the in-laws, and thought about going today, but the mid-50's yesterday, and a few others dropping out had me working on my "honey do" list. Sold 2 sets of skis this weekend though! (sorry Jeff!!)
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Got out Friday to Welch, but it was a tad crowded for the couple runs that were open, and the line was across the hill
    Saturday + 50 degrees + bright blue skies + empty= Good first day of season for peanut and I. Good to meet you Jeff. . Looking fwd to more ❄️❄️ and catching up with the crew. Cheers.

Name:	Image1669586004.308147.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	435623

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Not all who wander are lost"

NorthStars color way represent!

Good to see you this weekend Axe and MN-teleswede. Let’s do lot lunch one of these weekends. It was good to see people again that I haven’t seen since April.

Decided it's time to quit my decade of lurking here.... I've met a few of the tele crew down at Welch many many years ago when TTips was still a thing, but don't get down that way much living north of the twin cities. We run out of Wild now (used to be Afton, but finally couldn't handle working at a Vail place), and am out pretty much every Thursday/Friday/Sunday if anyone's ever looking to make some turns. Thursday's my patrol night, Friday/Sunday is when the kids are out banging gates. Non-patrol days it's generally red pants/black jacket, on teles ~95% of the time. I get a good price on a couple guest passes anytime I'm out there, so feel free to hit me up if I'm out and they haven't been spoken for.

Quote Originally Posted by dgilligan02 View Post
    NorthStars color way represent!
    Fuck Norm Green
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Dumping right now up here in the Northwoods. Christie Mountain this weekend should be a blast.

Looked like Rib was blowing snow when I drove down from Merrill to Appleton last week after hunting with Dad. (he got a big spike buck)

Despite growing up in Wisconsin, Rib is one of the places I never skied. Been meaning one of these years to go back and ski all the ski areas I used to ski before I moved to Idaho.

Lots of snow in the Metro area today! Gotta love it! 6" in the Blaine area - heard a bit more to the south, so maybe Welch will have some more to open this weekend?
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_H View Post
    Decided it's time to quit my decade of lurking here.... I've met a few of the tele crew down at Welch many many years ago when TTips was still a thing, but don't get down that way much living north of the twin cities. We run out of Wild now (used to be Afton, but finally couldn't handle working at a Vail place), and am out pretty much every Thursday/Friday/Sunday if anyone's ever looking to make some turns. Thursday's my patrol night, Friday/Sunday is when the kids are out banging gates. Non-patrol days it's generally red pants/black jacket, on teles ~95% of the time. I get a good price on a couple guest passes anytime I'm out there, so feel free to hit me up if I'm out and they haven't been spoken for.
    Welcome! MW Mags are always in demand! If you see us - or think it might be one of us - "Change for a nickel"?
    Gravity. It's the law.

This holiday weekend gone by I checked Ski Brule off of my lifetime list to make magic number sixty nine. Brule joins Indianhead and Porcupine Mountain for UPerrrrrr resorts I have skied.

The weekend didn't start out great. My daughter and then my mom had a non covid fast flu of some unknown type, or likely two different types, and so we held her back and she missed the first day of the 4 day race camp, she is max vaxxed and she quickly healed from whatever ailed her. Everybody had their government covid test kits along and everybody was negative, though my mom was hacking through the holiday.

Then the furnace went out in the AirBnb. The owner promptly refunded all of our money minus the rather pricey fees, which was cool but since we weren't cold it seemed like overkill until the last night when the septic overflowed just as we were settling down for one last beverage and cozy cabin conversation before bed. We were glad to get the hell out of there Sunday morning and leave the house's problems to someone else and the refund seemed fair after mopping up the mess.

My parents and my wife's parents grumbled about just the way a mixed family Thanksgiving holiday away should be. Thank god we all agree on our version of proper politics. Electric space heaters were furnished, and most importantly for my father in law, Hulu was working so he could watch sports, and for my dad the large property on a lake meant he could spend most of the days outside with the dogs.

Sunrises were amazing. I started each morning hanging out down by the glimmering ice covered lake with my hot mug of coffee and eager border collie while the rest of the cabin came to life.

Name:	20221126_071235.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	436043

Brule is a very cool ski area. As friendly a bunch of people running it as I've ever met, and homey as heck. The main chairlift has to be the fastest fixed grip lift I have ever ridden in the Midwest. It makes getting 10k in a day fast work (I had 11k on Saturday without trying) on the 360 vertical my app showed for the frontside runs. Even with the racers sometimes clogging up the main lift, you could drop to the other double and have no wait. If only every fixed grip was this fast. So nice. The bar is awesome and gives you a great view of the race hill from the deck. I can see why USSA races are held here.

I had a beer at the car for lunch.

Name:	20221126_110251 (1).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	436044

My daughter has the green helmet. She was at camp to listen and fix some of her lazy bad habits that have been holding her skiing hostage for a couple three years. She liked her coach, small group, and she actually came away skiing better. Talk in the car home were her coaches tips.

Name:	20221127_100050.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	436047

I skied the entire time I was up there as I always do, met many nice people on the lift. I've never gone to any race related event without booting up. There is a rhyme to my reason. The short days of fall always try to send me into a depression, but I have too many tricks up my sleeve to let the dark side win, and skiing is one of them. I do love to watch my girl and all the kids race and drill. So I stop for that now and again, and get roped into slipping sometimes by coaches that recognize me as a sorta member of the tribe, always circling the ring of fire from a distance. My wife is out for now, recovering from a mountain biking accident earlier this fall.

Look dad, I'm bending my downhill ski.

Name:	20221127_113144.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	436048

The drive home takes us right by Granite Peak, Cascade, and Devils Head, then within a couple miles of Tyrol, though you can't see Tyrol unless you take a detour. Anyway, the Wisconsin backroads are a hoot in the VW. Wife took this sunset picture, I was busy rallying through the gears and dodging whitetails. Devils Head faces straight south and the work they had done with early season snowmaking was getting absolutely worked by the sun all weekend. We have a race at Devils Head this year even though they don't have their own JR race team anymore, moved from Cascade due to politics, or big business, or some of both.

I sure hope that green grass turns brown soon. Even with that extended cold snap we had earlier in November, the super green grass on south facing slopes persist.

Name:	20221127_162906.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	828.6 KB 
ID:	436052

Other pictures added but came up sideways and I'm here to tell a story, not fix the glitch. So it is what it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221126_113050.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	436045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221126_113050 (2).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	436046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221127_101813(0).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1,002.4 KB 
ID:	436050  
    Last edited by uglymoney; 11-30-2022 at 10:09 AM.

^ great post uglymoney. Stoked to see your kids skiing develop.

Christie Mountain is still closed, so I’m hitting Trollhaugen tomorrow. (Friday) I will be there early for first chair, I’m easy to find. Ask for change.

Cool program at Trollhaugen called “Take The Rake”. It’s an All-Female built and maintained terrain park. Anyone can use it, plenty of males hitting it. But liftys are all female, park crew are all female. Very cool program and great to see the younger generation taking over.

Name:	Image1670004429.431003.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	436371

Name:	Image1670005263.108172.jpg 
Views:	47 
ID:	436373

Name:	Image1670005292.060847.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	436374

Name:	Image1670005329.694661.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	436375

Name:	Image1670005353.446873.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	436376

Name:	Image1670005379.748463.jpg 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	436377

Name:	Image1670005414.898902.jpg 
Size:	926.3 KB 
ID:	436378

Nice pitch there at Brûlée, Thks for sharing that one ugly, a day well spent !

Do you know Peter? I think he patrols still at Afton. Tele skier, has a nice looking pair of kokopelli ski logiks.

Quote Originally Posted by Askel View Post
    Do you know Peter? I think he patrols still at Afton. Tele skier, has a nice looking pair of kokopelli ski logiks.
    Not really, but I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about. He only came on in the last few years I was there, and we didn't generally ski a lot of the same shifts, as mine centered more around when the kids needed to be out there.

Not really, but I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about. He only came on in the last few years I was there, and we didn't generally ski a lot of the same shifts, as mine centered more around when the kids needed to be out there.
    Sounds about right. If you ever make it over this way for the midwest telefest, try and find me for a beer!

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Then the furnace went out in the AirBnb. The owner promptly refunded all of our money minus the rather pricey fees, which was cool but since we weren't cold it seemed like overkill until the last night when the septic overflowed just as we were settling down for one last beverage and cozy cabin conversation before bed.
    Wow, really rolled out the red carpet for the full UP experience for you. About the only thing missing was the dog getting into it with a porcupine.

But Brule is looking good, might have to head over that way weekend after next if nothing is happening locally yet.

Christie Mountain opened today. Not only did I get First Chair, I did a lap on completely empty runs and got Second Chair too. Fun having an entire ski area all by myself.

Name:	IMG_4951.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	437586

Name:	IMG_4953.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	437587
    Friendly staff member rode up with me for Second Chair.

Name:	IMG_4955.jpg 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	437588

Name:	IMG_4956.jpg 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	437589

Name:	IMG_4966.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	437590

Name:	IMG_4969.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	437591
    Patroller on tele lost his ski while loading. LOL.

Name:	IMG_4952.jpg 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	437592

Patroller on tele lost his ski while loading. LOL.

Name:	IMG_4952.jpg 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	437592

Nice! Jerry is always lurking...
    Gravity. It's the law.