Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 250
  1. #176
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    11,083

    2019/2020 Midwest Stoke Thread

    Another fun day at Christie Mountain. Got there at 9:45, 15 minutes before opening. Only 10 cars in the lot. Temp +4F with a brutal wind out of the north. Also 5-6 inches of fresh powder. Nice to see they left the two steepest runs ungroomed plus a wide intermediate run 50/50. Only 3 people on the mountain to start, a Patroller, a snowboarder, and me.

    Patroller laid down first tracks on Porcupine, I powder8íd him to establish TGR dominance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1612567724.449420.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	361396

    Boot deep on Eaglesí Ridge
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1612567857.934361.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	361397

    Gladed zone
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1612568084.306495.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	361401

    OK, I was not expecting this, an inbounds deer stand. Only in Wisconsin.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1612568184.177528.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	361403

    What a fun little place.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  2. #177
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Gallatin County
    Posts
    1,076
    Great report! I wasn't expecting to see glades at Christie. Is that a deer stand or an unfinished smoke shack?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

    Gladed zone
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1612568084.306495.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	361401

    OK, I was not expecting this, an inbounds deer stand. Only in Wisconsin.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1612568184.177528.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	361403

  3. #178
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    11,083

    2019/2020 Midwest Stoke Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Great report! I wasn't expecting to see glades at Christie. Is that a deer stand or an unfinished smoke shack?
    Those glades reminded me of Shady Chute. Same pitch and tree spacing. Except they are only about 50 feet vertical instead of 1,500.

    Deer stand or smokeshack on stilts ?? Could be both ?? 🤡


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  4. #179
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    300
    I seen Harry and automatically clicked it to see what is happening in MT/BS. Still love the stoke either way.

    Sent from my SM-G781V using TGR Forums mobile app

  5. #180
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    11,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftyt View Post
    I seen Harry and automatically clicked it to see what is happening in MT/BS. Still love the stoke either way.
    Mom is 93 and was suffering emotionally from the isolation of virus lockdown. So I came home to care for her. I still live in Big Sky and will return there once everyone is vaccinated and she is doing better.



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  6. #181
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,438
    It’s nice everyone is getting good skiing!

    Yesterday it was dumping all day at Ripley, great skiing with Mustonen, meeting justcuz.
    Today, 6” new at mqt...skied with a guy from way back in mid 90s Crested Butte.

    Gonna be cold for a while. I bet it’s been soft at bohemia

  7. #182
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    26
    Since I've recently recovered my password and can log in again, I'll play along. Cool to see the stoke on this thread.

    We've been burning some Indy pass days this year locally. Went to Trollhaugen for the first day of the season in October. First time I've skied in October.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0253.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	361412

    We did more of this than actual skiing.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0254.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	361414

    We've recently hit Granite Peak, Pine Mountain, and Big Powderhorn. It was warm, mix of snow and really wet snow, and of course super flat light. We did see the sun one day at Granite.

    Cool short steeps at Granite and great lifts. A guy could get used to high speeds in the Midwest.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	361416

    And the rollers are fun too.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0468.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	247.3 KB 
ID:	361415

    Pine mountain was fun but not much open due to low snow. They had a good hometown feel with nice amenities, and cool large pines scattered. I'd like to go back when fully open.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0474.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	361419

    I enjoyed Big Powderhorn, there's cool terrain, it has good size, and seems like they can spread the crowds out with all lifts running. I was surprised at the steeps they had, lots of fun. We got snow the first day, it was pretty wet but spring like. Minimal crowds both days.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	474.5 KB 
ID:	361426

    If you ski the Midwest you need to break out the Carhartts every now and then.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3367b.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	361429

    From my local hill Welch. Sun up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0494.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	849.4 KB 
ID:	361431

    Recent storm, no crowds.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	361432

  8. #183
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Mom is 93 and was suffering emotionally from the isolation of virus lockdown. So I came home to care for her. I still live in Big Sky and will return there once everyone is vaccinated and she is doing better.



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I have lived in Indiana to take care of a good family friend that lived to see 100. I fully understand. Maybe we will do a few laps in April.

    Sent from my SM-G781V using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by Leftyt; 02-05-2021 at 08:23 PM.

  9. #184
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    People's Republic of MN
    Posts
    5,462
    Quote Originally Posted by BaconMeCrazy View Post
    Since I've recently recovered my password and can log in again, I'll play along. Cool to see the stoke on this thread.

    We've been burning some Indy pass days this year locally. Went to Trollhaugen for the first day of the season in October. First time I've skied in October.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0253.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	361412

    We did more of this than actual skiing.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0254.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	361414

    We've recently hit Granite Peak, Pine Mountain, and Big Powderhorn. It was warm, mix of snow and really wet snow, and of course super flat light. We did see the sun one day at Granite.

    Cool short steeps at Granite and great lifts. A guy could get used to high speeds in the Midwest.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	361416

    And the rollers are fun too.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0468.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	247.3 KB 
ID:	361415

    Pine mountain was fun but not much open due to low snow. They had a good hometown feel with nice amenities, and cool large pines scattered. I'd like to go back when fully open.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0474.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	361419

    I enjoyed Big Powderhorn, there's cool terrain, it has good size, and seems like they can spread the crowds out with all lifts running. I was surprised at the steeps they had, lots of fun. We got snow the first day, it was pretty wet but spring like. Minimal crowds both days.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	474.5 KB 
ID:	361426

    If you ski the Midwest you need to break out the Carhartts every now and then.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3367b.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	361429

    From my local hill Welch. Sun up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0494.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	849.4 KB 
ID:	361431

    Recent storm, no crowds.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	361432
    Nice TR, El Jefe! One of these times I’ll have to tag along... Good to see you today, and hard to believe that tomorrow will make today seem warm by comparison. I’m still burping up that pizza, BTW!
    Gravity. It's the law.

  10. #185
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    26
    Thanks Axe, itís always a pleasure seeing you and talking skis, guitars, bikes, and beers. Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it. I got lunch next time!

  11. #186
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    6,952
    Cascade Saturday for the WIJARA race. The snow was great. The air was super cold. I ran in place and had a couple layers of down on to stay warm gatekeeping. There was really minimal lines so we got a ton of vertical as we raced the clock to ski before our race/gatekeeper comp tickets expired. We were the last of the Chestnut race team mohicans left in the lot, everybody else scattered asap. We drove back to Moose and hibernated last night and today. -17 for my morning walk.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210206_134332.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	361744

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210206_141640.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	361746
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210206_141640.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	361745  

  12. #187
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    946
    Weíre thinking of headed there next weekend, hopefully the snow continues to fall.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  13. #188
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    6,952
    The cold temps and limited lift sales do wonders for crowds. Snow was absolutely hero.

    We'll be at Chestnut both Sat and Sun next weekend parked at the bottom.

  14. #189
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    27
    Ugly$, so the boys Wijara today was a bit chillier than yesterday. Woke up in portage to -17, tv news said windchill around -30 but it didn’t feel that bad, I did get an ice cream headache from the tiny slot between goggles and helmet. Snow remained hero and w/ cold temps and no ruts, race got three runs in w/ no reset so we were on way back to STL by 1230 (6 hr drive).

    no good pix but my teen insisted on this for team newsletter (mine’s the moran on the right)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EE1857B0-D986-40E0-9005-B06334D45929.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	747.8 KB 
ID:	361780

  15. #190
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,438
    New episode!


    That footage is old, but itís on up there right now...

    Through the cold interior this morning:
    Name:  259993B7-2023-4904-9D5F-5A10177D6DAD.jpeg
Views: 290
Size:  393.2 KB

    Driving was bananas:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0167A56D-7156-49CB-80B8-AC38D7C3FAEB.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	324.6 KB 
ID:	362150

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DB05C4A5-B369-4E1D-980B-09751A8B857B.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	548.0 KB 
ID:	362151

    Soft everywhere today, pow over softpack on the high traffic zones, pow over pow off the beaten path
    Name:  25AE50F0-F170-4C05-BA45-26357C09C023.jpeg
Views: 277
Size:  409.0 KB

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	856A07BD-3235-4388-9CFA-A158F202D9ED.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	507.5 KB 
ID:	362155

  16. #191
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    184
    ^^^^awesome!!!

  17. #192
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,438
    Lil story...
    Last year I went up there and got shut out, triple chair was down for mechanical, got 3 bad runs on thin refrozen ice and they shut the other lift down for wind. I went in to wait and see and have a drink at the log cabin and ended up just sitting there on the couch talking to that hilarious little girl (in the episode) for at least an hour. She was showing me a hundred pictures on her phone and just, like, telling me her little life story. Believe it or not, that kid is even more adorable than the video suggests.
    Piss! Piss pancakes! Lolol

  18. #193
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    6,952
    Nice cameo IAS. I only watched the first few minutes and then fell asleep last night but I watch them all. Minus 35 is fricken cold...it is when relays start sticking and stuff explodes on perfectly good cars...looks like it was worth it though. Great shots.

    JW told me he had an episode coming this year but the blown out early season put the project on ice. Bummer.

    Squirrel it was cold. Brave kids and I was fine with heading home/all girl one day race. I had to clear out my trunk and finish cooking in the back of the car with the heat on to keep the butane/propane can warm enough to work. Probably need to bring the white gas for ultra cold cooking.

  19. #194
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    11,083
    Man, that is some great stoke IAS. Wow.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  20. #195
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United States of Aburdistan
    Posts
    7,338
    Love this thread as an ex-Tyrol Basiner. IAS that video is sweet. I had to skip the hot spring scene but the rest is funny shit. UM, Chestnut looks decent surprisingly. Some steep pitches.

  21. #196
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vinyl Valley
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

    Through the cold interior this morning:
    Name:  259993B7-2023-4904-9D5F-5A10177D6DAD.jpeg
Views: 290
Size:  393.2 KB

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	856A07BD-3235-4388-9CFA-A158F202D9ED.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	507.5 KB 
ID:	362155
    Damn, IAS! Way to get after it! Looks outstanding

  22. #197
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    11,083
    Christie Mountainís website says they will be closed this weekend due to the extreme cold.

    https://www.christiemountain.com




    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  23. #198
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,438

    Exclamation

    So this just happened

    Mustonen:
    Name:  219FB169-A55B-4DB3-B9F6-7A3AE3B3C7B2.jpeg
Views: 163
Size:  558.7 KB

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A6AC2058-30D6-4B8F-8117-9D2DEA214355.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	362482

    Me:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9F5612F4-1047-40B6-9850-420B8B2B546B.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	447.4 KB 
ID:	362483

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0A7AE241-A3ED-42CE-BE5C-F867D8FB1954.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	267.8 KB 
ID:	362484

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D9374770-81B0-4C71-A014-6C9FF74CC18D.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	362485

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7161C9E3-38AD-4887-B3AB-13FEEB3029E3.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	253.8 KB 
ID:	362486

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9A6CC633-698B-4B8B-B6FA-F755C444F956.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	362502

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90D12C06-EA85-4861-9E10-F7CE2420481F.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	362487

    My goodness.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 02-11-2021 at 10:53 PM.

  24. #199
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    11,083
    ^^^ FKNA ^^^


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  25. #200
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,192
    ' Glad you could be there i-as ! !!

    not-easy to catch conditions like that...

    ( how much snowfall have they had in the last week ? ? ( looks like almost four feet ))


    congratulations ! ( You deserve it ( And you have earned it ) ) skiJ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •