Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Too early for 21/22 season stoke? Just bought my passes and a pair of those FT Apres booties since it looks like more parking lot tailgates are in store for this season

2019/2020 Midwest Stoke Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jdoyle View Post
    Too early for 21/22 season stoke? Just bought my passes
    ^^ FKNA ! Never too early for stoke. ^^

Question: what does anyone know about Granite Peak near Wausau WI ?

My good buddy from Big Sky, Talisman, has in-laws in the Fon du Lac area. Looks like that place would be halfway between us. (actually more like 2/3 vs 1/3, but whatever...) Internet sez 74 runs and 700 vertical. That’s over twice the size of Christie Mountain (where I bought a pass for the upcoming season FKNA.) Any beta on Granite Peak is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

That’s close to a 4 hour drive, isn’t it? Just come to Ripley…..
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

My good buddy from Big Sky, Talisman, has in-laws in the Fon du Lac area. Looks like that place would be halfway between us. (actually more like 2/3 vs 1/3, but whatever...) Internet sez 74 runs and 700 vertical. That’s over twice the size of Christie Mountain (where I bought a pass for the upcoming season FKNA.) Any beta on Granite Peak is appreciated.

I haven’t skied at GP personally, but friends who have say that it is Midwest “steep” for the top 25%, and then a LOOOOONNNG flat runout. Long haul from the TC area for that… Lutsen is pretty good MN skiing though, and on par with stuff in the UP, but with a bit less snow.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    That’s close to a 4 hour drive, isn’t it? Just come to Ripley…..
    That’s on my list too.

I plan to hit every spot in WI/UP/MN over the course of this winter.

I’ll see all you k00ks this winter, if not sooner.

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Granite is 4 hours from our house and we try to make it once a year since we have been getting two free days on our Chestnut pass. Super fun place with three top to bottom high speed lifts.

Yeah, it has a long runout since it is built on a typical u shaped glacial moraine like axebiker correctly notes and I have friends who use that as an excuse to never try it but you can carry speed off the roller and turn all the way to the lifts. The runout zones often twist and turn and they build fun rollers into them. Not to mention the steep stretches from one end of the ski are to the other and is longer and steeper than the rollers at similar glacial moraine places (like Cascade for instance).

Easy to get a ton of vertical. Also faces straight north so the snow isn't sun beaten. Huge snowmaking system. Good lodge with excellent live music a lot of weekends. Friendly locals and always a smelly telemarker to share a lift with.

Definitely gets the uglymoney stamp of approval. We always have fun and it is a nice change up from Chestnut and the other hills on our race circuit.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

hi, Harry -

congratulations on your successful Surgery !

it reads-like you are back in the midwest, hopefully, putting your Mom's concerns at-ease --

Granite Peak would be a good meeting spot with your friend from FdL for a day - Just don't go on a Busy Saturday...
    I don't know if they run all of the lifts mid-week - you might find one end (east or west) closed -
    axe's description of the hill is accurate - the pitch is at the top ; If you can load midway on the Blitzen lift, it is a nice 300foot pitch ; with the detatchable lifts, skiing the length of the hill is reasonable, though as axe mentions, the run-out is long ( actually, in that way, it is similar to Christie at about twice the scale ( the upper pitch is twice as high, the run-out is almost ( maybe it is... ) twice as long. ) --

drop down to hwy29 - it is an easy approach from the west...
    ( one of your photos sure reminds me of Lake Holcombe. . . )

Good luck with your recovery from Surgery and your cardiac rehabilitation
    ( I would sure like to read your pO2s are in the 90%s ) -

lots of Good country in Rusk county...
    I am glad you have Christie and the Blue Hills... !

(please) take Good care... skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    it is built on a typical u shaped glacial moraine
    Granite Peak looks too tall to be a glacial moraine a monadnock maybe?, but would be fun to ski no mater how the hill was formed.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Granite Peak looks too tall to be a glacial moraine a monadnock maybe?, but would be fun to ski no mater how the hill was formed.
    Yeah, I think I'm wrong like usual. My point stands.

Rib Mountain, formerly called Rib Hill, is a four-mile-long ridge of ancient rock dating back about 1.7 billion years. It is among the oldest geological features on earth. It is composed of a very hard metamorphic rock called quartzite.
    For many years, it was believed to be the highest point in Wisconsin. Now it's generally accepted that Timm's Hill, near Ogema in Price County, is the highest at 1,952 feet above sea level and Rib Mountain is fourth at 1,924 feet above sea level. However, Rib Mountain does stand higher above the surrounding terrain, 670 feet, than any other hill in the state.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    I haven’t skied at GP personally, but friends who have say that it is Midwest “steep” for the top 25%, and then a LOOOOONNNG flat runout. Long haul from the TC area for that… Lutsen is pretty good MN skiing though, and on par with stuff in the UP, but with a bit less snow.

My wife and I skied there in 2016, the day after a ~12" snowstorm. It was midweek and not too busy, no real powder fever in these parts... and axebiker's friends are correct. The top section gets you started with a couple of turns to build speed and straight-line the lower part. Or make turns on the lower run outs with some skating to get back to the lift.

The new snow opened up areas that probably wouldn't ski well without it, mainly trees and some rocky areas on skiers far right of the resort. There seemed to be enough space to spread out and get away from others when stopping for a safety meeting or whatnot.

Since you're able to appreciate Christie Mountain for what it is, you'll definitely have fun at Granite Peak (OG Rib Mountain)

I don't know the current cost for a day ticket, but it was ~$50 when we were there 6 years ago.
    Last edited by skuff; 08-27-2021 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelun

Echoing Ugly’s thoughts on the place. Super fun, big by midwest standards, can ski trees once filled in too. Stoked this thread is on the 1st page in August

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Stoked this thread is on the 1st page in August

^^^ Midwest Stoke thread delivers. Glad this thread is full of happy maggots, not like that junkshow ECRC thread. 🤠

We are going to have a blast this winter. I’m Stoked !

Last edited by Harry; 08-27-2021 at 11:53 AM.

The second half of this episode is probably worth a listen Harry, I thought of your Christie trip reports when it came out last spring.
    https://dirtbagdiaries.com/the-shorts-balancing-act/

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    The second half of this episode is probably worth a listen Harry, I thought of your Christie trip reports when it came out last spring.
    https://dirtbagdiaries.com/the-shorts-balancing-act/
    Wow, describes my situation (almost) perfectly.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Harry; 08-27-2021 at 05:01 PM.

I just moved to Chicago from the PNW (spent the last few years skiing the likes of Mt Baker, Stevens Pass, Whistler). I have an Epic local pass for next year which has Wilmot on it (~1 hour from Chicago). Anyone have recommendations for the midwest other than hopping on a plane??

Quote Originally Posted by goolick View Post
    Anyone have recommendations for the midwest other than hopping on a plane??
    Not really.
    Where in Chicago?
    Get a Southwest credit card and bank the miles.
    In the fall, when they have the best fare sales, book every weekend. Then pick the ones with the best conditions.

Yeah. I mean, you should definitely take a road trip up to the UP at some point. Check out Bohemia, etc. I’m as big a homer as you’ll find for Midwest skiing, but your main option should be at the other end of a flight. Take advantage of the airport, cheap fares, and direct flights.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Where in Chicago?
    Lincoln Park.

My brother is in Minneapolis so places near there would also be high on the list.

There’s a lot the ski clubs in Chicago and some racing. But it’s mostly out of Wilmot, which the drive would suck from Lincoln Park, after work.

http://skicmsc.org

Checking in. I'll be spending a decent amount of time in Chetek in the near future. Looking forward to skiing Christie Mountain with Harry, and also hope to roadtrip to the UP for biking and skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by goolick View Post
    Lincoln Park.

My brother is in Minneapolis so places near there would also be high on the list.
    Cascade and Devil's head,
    Granite Peak,
    and Mt. LaCrosse
    are between Chicago and mpls.

the twin cities also have a midwest ski scene --
    ( it is Not PNW skiing )

for midwest skiing, if the snow is good ( + 100inches... ), a trip to the western U.p
    has merit

( Bohemia is a unique and special place ( again, when there is great snow
    ( see I-as' posts from February2021 ) And
    it is an almost endless drive from chicago...

Good luck... ! skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Checking in. I'll be spending a decent amount of time in Chetek in the near future. Looking forward to skiing Christie Mountain with Harry, and also hope to roadtrip to the UP for biking and skiing.
    FUCK YEAH !

On the note of the Chetek/Rice Lake area, what's the mountain bike scene like? Is there a local trail org?

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    On the note of the Chetek/Rice Lake area, what's the mountain bike scene like? Is there a local trail org?
    https://www.bluehillstrail.com

This trail network is 2 miles from Christie Mountain. I see lots of MTBs on the trails during the summer months. I did a lot of combo alpine/Nordic days last winter, 2-3 hours at Christie, lunch in the parking lot, then 2-3 hours Nordic at Blue Hills. Great way to spend the winter up here in the northwoods. Looking forward to sharing it with you.

$300 = Christie Mountain season pass
    $50 = Blue Hills annual pass
    ———
    $350 for a good time this winter

http://outthereshop.com
    Nordic shop in Rice Lake

The Midwest has surprisingly good MTB riding. No sustained climbs but fantastic singletrack.

Cable/Hayward just north if there is worth worth visit several times (Find a Cheq100 race GPS track for most of the singletrack)

Twin Cities is good, but dispursed around town.

I think Eau Claire has good stuff.

Then south central (Kettle Moraine?) is supposed to be good.

Lastly, a ways west, but Cayuna, MN is worth the trip.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk