Page 38 of 65 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NuclearNachos21 View Post
    Now that the season is starting, figured I'd ask all the mt boho locals/frequent visitors. Finally able to make it out there for a trip, when is usually the best time to visit? Just looking around seems like jan/feb but never been there so dunno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    February -
    Bohemia may still be thin in January

( Yeti hit it right in Feb.'21 / look back for his TR
    ( this thread, me thinks ))

Iowa hwy20.
    nine.pm, November fifteenth (2022) ,

between Waterloo and Dubuque ;

I will take the freezing Rain.

But you know what you can do with the fog.

F. that.

been on the road since three(am), Saturday ;

I Am too Old for this (snot).

( gonna) ski with Harry next week -
    Maybe Wild (mountain) /
    The kid deserves a change-of-pace...

FreeRide Systems ;
    Might dig out the g10 mx that says,

'The older I get,
    the faster I was '

Change for a nickel ! ? !!

skiJ

I call that stretch of highway 20 Iowa's Bermuda Triangle. It is a wierd zone that is always on the colder windy side of storms and it is flatter and more exposed than surrounding areas. Can feel remote and sketchball in bad weather and it seems to be the last to get treated in a storm. You missed my 4 am hwy 20 transit hauling frozen food for fatties by just a few hours.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    That guy from MidwestSkiers dot com was there, I skied up to him and announced “I’m The Best Skier On The Mountain”. He did not get it and kept filming the jibbers. Pretty sure Shane would have awarded me 30,000 gnar points for that.*

(*) google Game of GNAR if you don’t get it either…
    Damn Millenials...they think they're SOOOO cool, but I think we've found a weakness....
    Last edited by axebiker; 11-16-2022 at 01:13 PM.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by mn_teleswede View Post
    Wow. Welch Belch is a phrase that I have not heard in a very long time. Not many of the original crew left, however there are a few of us that still show up on a semi regular basis. Most Saturdays spent chasing my 10 yr old down the hill, but still get the occasional solo day. Usually on TX Comps and On3P’s.

I have a spare pair of well used 28.5 TX Comps and various skis w/ NTN that I could bring down.

Axe can vouch for my suckiness- I believe I may have helped him to free his heel back in the day.

Cheers

Attachment 430657
    I'm no longer patrolling and bought a pass to "The Epic & Classic" Welch Village this year, so I should be a more common siting, and plan to still "free the heel" a bit! I'll be on TX Comps & Elan Ripstick 88's or Ripstick 96 Blacks!

And yeah - Swede and Digger "taught" me how to ski in handicapped fashion!
    "Uhhhh... Hey guys?!?! Were you gonna give me some tips here or what??" - Axe standing at the top of the lift at Wild Mountain as Doug and Scott zip away from me, totally forgetting that the new bird just fell out of the nest...

Looking forward to seeing you all again this season! Harry met Bacon already, so we're probably already in trouble...

@naedward - I'll take you up on some of those Troll passes!
    Last edited by axebiker; 11-16-2022 at 01:14 PM.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    February -
    Bohemia may still be thin in January

( Yeti hit it right in Feb.'21 / look back for his TR
    ( this thread, me thinks ))

skiJ
    Sweet. You know how the spring skiing is? Don't know if it would be inconsistent or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bacon MC texted me that Welch will be opening for season pass holders only on 11/25!

BIG FU to the MNSAA Industry Pass! Guess who gets to ski early season this year?!? THIS GUY!! No blackouts!! If there’s anyone from that shitshow watching this thread, I’m still waiting for my pass from last year that was “promised” to have been physically sent to me on two separate occasions last year. Never mind blacking out basically 5 weekends, which is close to about 1/3 of the season last year. Also, nothing like having a dishonest person heading up a non-profit - but apparently not all that rare these days…
    Last edited by axebiker; 11-17-2022 at 09:56 PM.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Lutsen opens on Saturday. 17" inches in last two days.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    Lutsen opens on Saturday. 17" inches in last two days.
    THAT, my friend, is PHENOMENAL!!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Christie Mountain opens Friday the 25th.

Hubba Hubba !

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I have 3 choices this weekend. Seven Oaks has a chair open over in Boone, I have never skied it and would like to. Tyrol has a chair open and a great mainline top to bottom run. Rundown is open tonight but only a bunny. If they go top to bottom that would be the easiest.

All 3 on our Indypass.

Sunday is going to warm and be 34.

Seven Oaks is short. Really, really short. Like 7-10 turns in a run short. But a good lodge and bar and easy access cross state for you. It was my only option living in Des Moines, and worth it to test the legs. I'd keep expectations low, but go and knock it off the list.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Yep.

I went to school in Ames and being the wanderer I am ended up over that way a lot the last couple of years, exploring the Des Moines River valley on foot and on bike. It was all overgrown with old non functioning T Bars at the time. This was 89 to 93. I was lustful of those slopes. It was bought by the owners of the now defunct Fun Valley and reopened in 96 or 97.

Massive improvement since.

Tyrol is short too. But can be super fun.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Sounds perfect to combo the trip with a stop at Hickory Park (?) for some bbq for old times sake.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Sounds perfect to combo the trip with a stop at Hickory Park (?) for some bbq for old times sake.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Whatcha Smokin? In Luther is an excellent stop too.

Seven Oaks, in world renowned affordable ski town Boone, Ia, was A FKNA Okay today. It faces north and they pulled a fast one by opening the mainline run by the lift without announcing.

Left home at 630 am to miss the predawn suicidal deer in rut rush. We sped down empty highways away from a beautiful sunrise, and by way of Iowa's hillbilly backcountry roads made it to Pella, the tulip capitol of Iowa, and producer of fine windows. A couple miles outside of town, beside an unnamed gravel road, I deposited one of my boat cushions into the back of an unlocked church van, five crispy $20 bills in an envelope duct taped to the torn and tattered vinyl, all on a friend of a friends promise of new upholstery by spring. This is how things still work in Iowa.

We rolled into the parking lot of Seven Oaks just before the 10am opening. Indypass tickets secured and skiing by a quarter after. The first hour was ski on and after that the line was manageable.

Really fun day. Daughter had time on both of her new race skis and she wanted to do drills every other lap, so she was the only thing keeping me from my seasoned desire to just charge the corded lift line over and over and over and over. She's full of stoke and wants to improve, so she will.

This was ski area 68 for me. This next weekend I will hopefully bump the magic number 69 when I ski Brule, wife just rolled her eyes, to nobodies surprise.

Last edited by uglymoney; 11-24-2022 at 09:06 PM.

uglymoney FTW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearNachos21 View Post
    Sweet. You know how the spring skiing is? Don't know if it would be inconsistent or not
    You can usually count on the base holding up through March, but the conditions start to get less consistent. Could be mashed potatoes, could be a breakable crust, or could be concrete.

But it's also pretty common to have at least one last good snowstorm in March that usually catches people off guard. Some of the best days at Bohemia are when you can catch one of these midweek and avoid most of the crowds.

Speaking of Bohemia, it's been a few years since I last bought a pass, so I think I qualify as a "new skier" now for the sign up 3, ski free deal. If anybody needs another name for that, get in touch.

2019/2020 Midwest Stoke Thread

I did something today that I have never done before.

I skied at 2 different ski areas in 2 different states all in one day.

It started out with a dumbass move by me, I misread Trollhaugen’s website and thought they were open all day. I rolled into the parking lot about 11:30 and I was only the second car there. Hmmmmm… Went to go get my ticket, booth closed. Went into the office, no one around. Finally found someone and they informed me they don’t open until 3pm.

At first I was disappointed that I drove that far all for nothing. But then it dawned on me that Wild Mountain in MN is only around 15 miles away. Quick check of their website showed they open at 1pm. Stopped in downtown St.Croix Falls for a quick lunch and made it to Wild Mountain for first chair.

Hardly anyone there. At most 10 people spread across 3 lifts plus another 20 people in the park using the rope tow. High speed corduroy hotlaps. After 2 hours my legs were ready for a break, so I skied to my car and drive across the state line to the now open Trollhaugen. With fresh legs, I was hotlapping corduroy in no time. No speed limit. Place was deserted except for the park. It was packed.

/blog

Wild Mountain pics
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1669165769.272202.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	435061

Name:	Image1669165801.385308.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	435062

Name:	Image1669165843.953404.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	435063

Name:	Image1669165912.407627.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	435064

Name:	Image1669165935.390082.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	435065

Name:	Image1669165962.038863.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	435066

Name:	Image1669165989.169588.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	435067

Trollhaugen pics

Name:	Image1669166086.223655.jpg 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	435068

Name:	Image1669166119.239015.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	944.6 KB 
ID:	435069

Name:	Image1669166147.008281.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	435070

Name:	Image1669166178.043183.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	435071

Name:	Image1669166226.728182.jpg 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	435073

Name:	Image1669166251.079757.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	435074

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Probably a dumb question, but why are ski areas opening at 1 and 3pm?
    "You're young and you got your health, what do you want with a job?"

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    Early season, help not fully hired yet, school day, etc...
    Gravity. It's the law.

2019/2020 Midwest Stoke Thread

Trollhaugen keeps lifts spinning until 3am, with live punk bands playing in the bar. So 3pm until 3am that’s 12 straight hours of lifts spinning.

Plus it’s early season. Starting tomorrow they open at 10am. So 17 hours hours of nonstop lifts spinning.

This is something that always made all the sense in the world to me for a small community, non destination ski hill. If you can’t be open for 12 hours every day it makes more sense to focus your hours to accommodate the after school and after work demo. Otherwise you’re just spinning the lifts for retirees and home schoolers and those folk who don’t work a standard 9-5.

And fresh tracks at 3pm after cutting work a couple hours early was always gratifying.
    focus.

Name:	IMG_3168.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	435154

Weak trip compared to Harry. (what’s new)

Little Switz Monday night with work friends. Only the front and death alley on the back was open but they had some big whales out there. Great to be out, especially before Turkey day.

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    uglymoney FTW!!!
    +2

' Love the TR.

skiJ

Sunday
    at Wild with Harry -

' got my,
    ' older I get,
    the faster I was' gx10moto

( now If I could just remember