Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1634906290.379794.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	310.9 KB 
ID:	389885

Second-best time of year….
    focus.

Fall is so great.

I love the gray, the drizzle, the wind, and the bluster. Leaves showing what is underneath their green luster.

The beautiful people are sad, the housewives are mad. Larry and Karen close the door and hibernate like vermin, they tune to angry sermon.

To exit the bright world of summer we pass through this Kaleidoscope of color. The soft, dim, faint light feels just right. Long nights give us room to linger. Low sun rays force a purposeful focus to our finitely numbered days.

Dusk to dawn we live in the shadows of others wary. Finding joy in the cold delight, drawing energy from their seasoned spite.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 10-22-2021 at 05:48 PM.

Took a swing through quad cities for soccer, Dubuque, then Galena yesterday. Stopped by Chestnut on the way to our last stop. Place was booming with fall tourists but a quick walk and we were by ourselves.

Weather was absolutely perfect. Today not so much.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

I’ll be passing through a few areas early February on an epic local & Indy road trip. Planning on hitting Hidden valley, snow creek, seven oaks and Terry Peak. I’ll be solo leaving out of the ATL and am open to making turns with some mags.

Quote Originally Posted by paj View Post
    I’ll be passing through a few areas early February on an epic local & Indy road trip. Planning on hitting Hidden valley, snow creek, seven oaks and Terry Peak. I’ll be solo leaving out of the ATL and am open to making turns with some mags.
    I would definitely hit Hidden Valley, but then I'd go the easy 5ish hours to Sundown in Dubuqe. Seven Oaks probably not worth it, although it is awesome what they have made of that once dead place. Sundown has good vertical, long winding runs and is really pretty with a vibrant local scene, good park. Definitely keep you entertained for a few hours and then a pretty easy one day drive over to Terry Peak. Straight shot on 20 thru Iowa is all good 4 lane with almost no traffic. So relaxing compared to 80. Then jump north on 29 to 90 and it is 85 mph cruising in the 80 zone all the way to the black hills.

Shame Chestnut isn't on the Indy pass. That would be a great 1 2 combo for road trippers.

I appreciate the suggestion. Sundown looked really cool at first glance but I was of the mindset I should stay on a more direct path to destination which is ultimately SLC with stops along the way.

After more thought I like the idea of sundown so I’ll still get three skis areas across the heartland: hidden valley-sundown-terry peak. I’ll swing a quick stop at Devils tower too. As a geologist I’m obligated.

Doing ski days at Antelope Butte, Red Lodge, white pine, snow king, and Beaver mtn before slc. Pretty much in that order. Maybe Pine creek too if they are open and the skiing is good.

Nice. I'm going to try to hit White Pine in January on the way home from Utardia. I love Pinedale and the Winds. I see they just went on the Bohemia pass as well. I say I am going to ski Pinedale every year though and I always bail in favor of another day at a mega.

Definitely throw me a PM if you come through. Normally ski at Chestnut and February is rife with ski races so doubtful I can make something happen but you never know. Sundown faces NW and it can be really fun. Crowded on the weekends though. Either way it is a gem that shouldn't exist in a shithole state like Iowa, but it does.

Big drive across the heartland in early February -

I driven 35mph behind the plow on the interstate. friends have waited four days in the RedCross shelter for the interstate to reopen.

I hope you have a great adventure...

Good luck... skiJ

I’ve thought about driving conditions possibly being an issue. I’m not on a hard schedule. I’m just trying to leave late January to early February so I'll work around a storm if needed. A few of the mountains I want to hit have restricted Friday to Monday schedule so I’m keeping that in mind. Since Indy allows two ski days I can double up on a mountain if needed.
    Last edited by paj; 10-28-2021 at 07:11 PM.

in February and March in the midwest, it is all about the weather...
    this February, it was -20F in Iowa ;
    I've seen the interstates closed throughout the region.

a new pair of Blizzaks five years ago made for the two easiest seasons of Winter driving I have experienced.

Good luck - it sounds like an interesting adventure. skiJ

Article in today’s Eau Claire newspaper about plans for the former Mount Telemark.

https://www.leadertelegram.com/featu...3e50d0c38.html

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Anybody in here done some winter camping up in the Lutsen area? Would love to give it a go for a weekend this season.

I've done it before. Just parked at a trailhead and skied up a hill. Set up camp. Skied back to car in morning.

Lutsen is partially on National Forest Service property and the Superior trail runs right through it. You can check on the legality of dispersed camping here.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sup...36905&actid=34

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

A little bit of hike-to action at Tyrol last night

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5AE2F977-A2B9-447F-A13F-8F579AAEAC34_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	878.8 KB 
ID:	391679

They're pretty good about making snow, when they want to

We made the drive to Tyrol for the hike park a few years ago. The look on my friends face when he realized he had to hike after driving 3 hours was priceless.

Just ran into a lot of Bohemia social media controversy…Sounds like there’s a nasty lawsuit with local businesses using the term Mt Bohemia (the geological feature pre-dating the ski area) but that’s trademarked by the ski area. Local keweenaw folks are pretty bent, as it seems the parties being sued are well-liked down-home friendlies.

I just wanna go ski that good snow/terrain off lifts…that place has a way of always stirring up a lot of strong emotion and feuds and whatnot, which does infiltrate the stoke a bit. I really hope they get it sorted out clean, and there isn’t a tense vibe up there this year.

I have been seeing a lot of really good signs of progress around Marquette, lift repairs, pre-season vegetation maintenance…like, stuff they had been neglecting with the old owner. It’s great to see.

2019/2020 Midwest Stoke Thread

Lonnee gonna Lonnee

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

At least he isn’t thin skinned.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Lonnee gonna Lonnee

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    For sure, but who gave him the instagram password?

I believe you can camp at the Grand marais municipal campground. There are no services tho and you have to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    For sure, but who gave him the instagram password?
    I've been there a few times when he's hammered drunk and that's always a shit show too... then again, so was I
    \

Been looking up Lonie on Google and let me say, that family has a lot going on. I respect the balls to try to start a Canadian Football Team in a small Louisiana city. Just pure stupidity, hubris and a money burning a whole in the pocket