Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post
    Great pics uglymoney. Heard this past weekend was great, in hindsight no idea why I didn't go. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Midwest skiing is over for me, have a trip to MT planned for later this week, looks to be some beautiful spring conditions. Fortunately (for my wife) and I'm happy with it, but unfortunately it means I'll have gone a full winter with zero cold powder days. Bummer.

Next season will get a hold of you when at the Nut to meet. My oldest daughter is in 2nd grade and would love to have her see yours ski. From the videos you've posted here, mine is nowhere near that level but very good for hear age nonetheless. She could use that for motivation to see someone just a year or two above who dominates the circuit.

Hope you get a few more days in, this extended forecast is a bummer. As Terry Swails said in a recent blog on models for the next two weeks, if they hold "...you can stick a fork in winter."
    Yep, hit me up anytime and the girl would welcome yours into their little ripper posse for a couple three runs for sure. We're probably going to score a room at the resort one night this weekend and then off to JH to score some Covid19 trams. The way the weather is going will probably have to go up to Granite for laps when we get back.

Getting those last season turns at Mt. LaCrosse and getting a head start on that summer tan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Diggins. Hopefully conditions held up for the race up there this weekend.

Sadly it was 68 degrees here today with a brutal south wind. Skied some decent slush yesterday...although as with the last couple years it melts down to the ice/rain crust and never really goes full slush mode. Still fun and a great excuse to ride the big mountain quiver instead of the ice skis.

The Nut has decided to close for the season as of 4 pm today with rain moving in tonight and a predicted lack of customers. Oh well. Off to JH next weekend anyway if all goes as planned.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anyone want to do some socially distanced WI park skiing sometime?

Quote Originally Posted by freerideskiing View Post
    You're not going to find anyone to ride with here. A couple groups have sprung up on FB that are active with a much better chance to find some stoke and meet up with people.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1413...088/?ref=share

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skiing2skiing View Post
    I'd be down to meet up in wausau one night. No idea when I could go for sure but can figure something out, God damn kids. Also I will be on a snowboard if its strictly park riding.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    You're not going to find anyone to ride with here
    That seems overly pessimistic

Maybe I jumped the gun.

There is people actually organizing ski nights etc on that supplied link, etc. Multi posts per day on midwest skiing related shenanigans. It is pretty cool, though I mostly just browse it.

Personally, this won't be the year for us to meet up with people we don't already know.

Here is the other group. Sorry I couldn't find it last night. They all have the same name in my mind. This one started this year by a young ambitious kid and it has really taken off.

Also, I trust that any people meeting up will follow covid protocol, and I won't stand in judgment from behind my keyboard, but while we are here, (preach it brother) going inside a resort bar to have a beer with new friends would be stupid. I am even nervous about skiing with the people I do know, people who understand we are pricklers about the details. Trying to explain that shit to someone new seems like way too much hassle to me.

Backing away.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3552...159/?ref=share

Tailgate beers taste better and cost less anyway. It was a bit of a shit show having to do lunch in the cab of my F150 on Sunday with my wife, a 6 y.o. and a 4 y.o. but at least we got to ski

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by diggins1712 View Post
    Getting those last season turns at Mt. LaCrosse and getting a head start on that summer tan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fuck yeah, diggins, I wasted a lot of nights on that hill when I was in school at UWL. Nice to see it again. Would love to get back there and make some turns again on the steepest run east of the Mississippi.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing2skiing View Post
    Where are you located? Brand new to it, but I'm going to try some park action this year at Tyrol

Marquette continues its death spiral.

They called early March “late season” and closed most of the midweek.
    Now they’re calling now through January 24th “early season” and doing the same bullshit.

It’s a pretty cute scam. They tell people winter season hours are 9-830 7 days a week except early and late season, people buy non refundable passes figuring early season might be like November...late season April. Nope! According to Mqt Mtn, “winter season” is a couple weeks in the middle of February.
    Rest of the year that frees em up to sit in their shitty bar all week getting shitfaced without having to do all that pesky work and deal with all those pesky people! Genius! They can get drunk and race snowmobiles around all over the hill all week without all those shitty dumbass skiers getting in the way, being all uppity about, like, stupid annoying stuff like maintaining the lifts and opening and closing runs and all that lame shit.

I’ve never felt so fucking stupid for having bought something as I feel
    for buying a mqt pass this year. I even told people I thought it was the right thing to do to support skiing. I just would never have thought they’d be so bold about ripping everyone off, it’s too small a town for that...or you’d think so anyway.

Death spiral.

Anyone on this thread doing the wijara-lite-not-really-wijara at sundown next weekend? Or the actual wijaras?

and yeah, IAS, Marquette’s being weird. Two ussa races had to be moved on what seemed like short notice to indianhead.

Went to Tyrol a few times recently, fun to get back on snow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42B482D6-5C03-44CD-8AFF-8F7D8E6214FA_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	357783

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7DE79061-B420-46BC-B727-C2F993FCDA38_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	357784

Nice Skuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirreljam View Post
    Anyone on this thread doing the wijara-lite-not-really-wijara at sundown next weekend? Or the actual wijaras?

and yeah, IAS, Marquette’s being weird. Two ussa races had to be moved on what seemed like short notice to indianhead.
    Sundown has no limits on lift tickets and huge lines this year and overall it is a covid junkshow imo. We are opting out of that race and just doing race practice at Chestnut. We have been skiing till it gets crowded then grilling at the base and then blowing out of there when chair 3 gets the afternoon lineup.

We will probably do the other 3 WIJARA races as usual. They are doing girls on Saturdays and boys on Sundays. Should help keep things under control a bit maybe.

^^^ Damn! Grill at the base, outstanding! Makes the day there last a little longer. ^^^

It's like the beach at the Basin except I know everyone. It can get to be wack o mole ducking away from the close talkers so I park a bit away to retreat if more than a couple three peeps distance and space is needed. They opened a roughed in outdoor bar across the river road with a fire pit and beers, bloodies, burgers. Grab a chair and a run if the 3 line fades.

Chestnut doesn't have covid mask enforcers but management believes in science and has good protos in place so that trickles down from the top. It seems like the once a years and occasional weekend warriors are the worst offenders so avoiding lines when it is busy is best.

Sundown, from what I see online, just plays lip service to protocols but sells tickets into oblivion and it looks to me what trickles down from the top is they don't give a shit about massive lines or masks and they have all the lodges and bars wide open. I'm not feeling like giving them my money this year. Caveat is I haven't actually skied there this year but I believe what I am hearing and seeing. On top of all that they are selling a super cheap weekend only pass again this year. The most ass backwards thing ever. So just a total clusterfuck of weekenders.

Ugly$, thanks for the heads up on sundown and covid shitshow; we're going so will just be careful. We drive up from St Louis for these, kind of a pain in the ass but whatta ya gonna do if my kid wants to race?
    Also good to know chestnut put an outdoor bar down by the river, that might be the ticket. If I see a buncha chestnut jackets grilling at that race, I'll ask for change for a nickel.

For sure Squirreljam. I think most of my girls U12ish teammates will be over at the Sundown race.

Chestnut is sold out today and tmmrw. We skied 7 to 10 last night and 9 1115 ish today with no wait ever. My wife in the purple coat. We ate and had a beer and blasted out of there today after about 20 hot laps...the race parent in the red pants had several seasons in Utardia and skis better than some mags I've met. She absolutely rips.

Chestnut was oddly on the warm side of the big system that just moved through. It was like 37 there when we left and the snow was going all mashy. Get back to Moose (we are S and W) and it is 31 and still frozen up.

Also I was finishing a beer getting off the lift and I was asked to pull my mask up. Hell yes I will. Saw and heard a couple other employees enforcing today.

Last edited by uglymoney; 01-16-2021 at 05:11 PM.

Quick survey of the Midwest Mags. Any recommendations on non-directional skis in the 90-98 range underfoot?

I've ignored this category for the last 10 years, but now my time in the Midwest is spent mostly skiing with my 5 year-old. Our home mountain doesnt have group lessons for kids under 7, so ill be skiing with him for a few more seasons as the cost of private lessons doesn't seem to make much sense.

Looking for something that will be more pleasant dinking around the green and easy blues while kid wrangling, power wedging during follow the leader, and generally being nimble, but will handle okay when I sneak in a few runs at the end of the day on my own.

Lutsen today FKNA. Daughter ripping a line down Moose. Cold as snot piss but 100 percent ski on chairs. Nobody breathing on us or poaching our fall line. Ski in ski out. No clusterfuck. Brought all of our food and drink from home. No hassle. So pretty.

Also my 77 yo hippy mom bought me a Whatvest for Xmas. Today was the first day I have needed it. Skis super nice.

Last edited by uglymoney; 01-18-2021 at 06:40 PM.

Lutsen today FKNA. Daughter ripping a line down Moose. Cold as snot piss but 100 percent ski on chairs. Nobody breathing on us or poaching our fall line. Ski in ski out. No clusterfuck. Brought all of our food and drink from home. No hassle. So pretty.
    Haven't made it up to Lutsen yet this year. How was the snow? Coverage? I do like getting up there at least one or two times a season. Runs on Moose are just long enough to burn a little but not have me completely gassed. Pretty decent if I'm on the tele-boards too - I can still top-to-bottom without training heels.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Perfect. Snow is really good. One piece of ice threw me off on my old 88's but with the 82 Brahmas I just ripped with full confidence. Super cold and hard swix CH5X wax applied to our quiver before we came up helped a ton.

Perfect. Snow is really good. One piece of ice threw me off on my old 88's but with the 82 Brahmas I just ripped with full confidence. Super cold and hard swix CH5X wax applied to our quiver before we came up helped a ton.
    Thx for the 511. May need to get there sooner than later. Probably make it a weekday thing so I can escape the weekend clusterF that I deal with every weekend in the Metro. Trying to figure out an "out west" trip in March, but I just don't know with all the crazy going on. I get COV-19 shot #1 on Friday though, so that will make me a solid 10% more confident that I won't explode...

Glad you're having a good time!
    Gravity. It's the law.